mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
I just watched this video on the ioniq 5. (In addition to a few others, but this one had a great interior review).

• The key fob has buttons for pulling into parking and pulling out of parking.
  • The shifter is much better. Similar to the ID4 or BMW i3. Twist up/forward for drive; twist down/back for reverse. And button on the end for park.
  • 800V battery for super speedy charging!! This is going to be huge! I really wish the MME had this.
  • Front seats have a napping position with foot rest for chilling during charging sessions. Really cool!

Sponsored

jsteach

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME S/W EB AWD ,2017 Honda accord touring v-6
Occupation
Retired. 40 year automotive/ service
Country flag
The best part of this car might be its ability to be used a a battery for home to offset the
higher cost of elect power in the afternoons. Charge it during the day with solar or at night
with low cost energy. Used the stored energy to run your ac later in the afternoon at a lower rate. If that really works would be a game changer for me. ByE ByE MME .

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
The best part of this car might be its ability to be used a a battery for home to offset the
higher cost of elect power in the afternoons. Charge it during the day with solar or at night
with low cost energy. Used the stored energy to run your ac later in the afternoon at a lower rate. If that really works would be a game changer for me. ByE ByE MME .
We have the same rate all day long. But even for those who have different rates it probably doesn't make sense either. The cost of cycling the battery is pretty high (perhaps 10-20c/kWh) due to battery degradation, losses in charging/discharging and inverter. Moreover, since battery isn't easily replaceable it may lead to premature aging of the whole car, not just the battery, in which case the cost can run even higher.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
If this had been announced prior to delivery of my Mach-E, and timing was comparable, I'd have canceled the Mach-E order for it. 800V is simply the future. While I'd prefer true bidirectional charging like Volkswagen is adding next year, the "vehicle to load' is interesting.

The styling is phenomenal, the tech is a leap forward, and the price will probably be similar, since its a Hyundai not a Genesis. Plus Kia has the EV6 which looks even better.

This 800V platform they have will be formidable for the players still on 400V.

Since the Mach-E doesn't have bidirectional charging it's likely just a stopgap car for me, as soon as I can get a bidirectional charging EV the Mach-E is getting sold for it. I hope that it's for another improved Mach-E, but we'll see... Ford has been silent on the matter, and it's the technology I think will be the true killer app that drives BEV adoption.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
If this had been announced prior to delivery of my Mach-E, and timing was comparable, I'd have canceled the Mach-E order for it. 800V is simply the future. While I'd prefer true bidirectional charging like Volkswagen is adding next year, the "vehicle to load' is interesting.

The styling is phenomenal, the tech is a leap forward, and the price will probably be similar, since its a Hyundai not a Genesis. Plus Kia has the EV6 which looks even better.

This 800V platform they have will be formidable for the players still on 400V.

Since the Mach-E doesn't have bidirectional charging it's likely just a stopgap car for me, as soon as I can get a bidirectional charging EV the Mach-E is getting sold for it. I hope that it's for another improved Mach-E, but we'll see... Ford has been silent on the matter, and it's the technology I think will be the true killer app that drives BEV adoption.
I hate to say it, but I agree, though not necessarily announced before delivery...

If it had been announced back in early 2020 or before I had put all my eggs in my FE Mach-E's basket, I most likely would have flipped to purchasing an Ioniq 5. I absolutely love the design, tech, features, etc. Doesn't hurt that my last two cars were Hyundai's and treated me very well.

I'd say the 2 biggest things I'm most jealous of are the 800V system, and bidirectional charging. I have 2 EVs with over 100kW of power available in their cells, but no way to use that to power my home in case of emergency. Looking forward to more EVs like the Ioniq 5 in the future...

JonathanEzor

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT, Taurus, C-MAX Energi, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
Agreed, wish the MME had the 800V battery too. Would make public charging so much more palatable! I prefer the Kia EV6 design to the Ioniq 5 though.
As do I, although I strongly prefer the MME to both. Since I haven't yet ordered my MME, though, if the Kia's pricing comes out before I order and it is *substantially* below that of the MME, I may need to reconsider my plans. {Jonathan}

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I hate to say it, but I agree, though not necessarily announced before delivery...

If it had been announced back in early 2020 or before I had put all my eggs in my FE Mach-E's basket, I most likely would have flipped to purchasing an Ioniq 5. I absolutely love the design, tech, features, etc. Doesn't hurt that my last two cars were Hyundai's and treated me very well.

I'd say the 2 biggest things I'm most jealous of are the 800V system, and bidirectional charging. I have 2 EVs with over 100kW of power available in their cells, but no way to use that to power my home in case of emergency. Looking forward to more EVs like the Ioniq 5 in the future...
The Hyundai/Kia EVs don't have true bidirectional charging - just "Vehicle to Load" which is something they made up - their version of Ford's Pro Power Onboard on the F-150.

True Bidirectional Charging, which VW is launching with all 2022 BEVs including ID.4, means that just by being plugged in (with a Bidirectional capable wallbox) the car can instantly take over the *entire* house in an outage, or be used for time-shifting your electricity consumption, storing homemade solar for use later, etc.

What I want is true bidirectional. If the 2022 ID.4 does bring it to North America, that might cut my Mach-E ownership short just to get bidirectional charging at home. I don't think I'm going to be able to wait once someone offers it at an affordable price. Nothing against Lucid, I'm just not into $100k cars.

jsteach

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME S/W EB AWD ,2017 Honda accord touring v-6
Occupation
Retired. 40 year automotive/ service
Country flag
Hyundai stated that the car will shut down offloaded voltage at 15% left in battery.
So no dead battery.

88 KILOWATTS PER HOUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Chevy Bolt
Country flag
I just watched this video on the ioniq 5. (In addition to a few others, but this one had a great interior review).

• The key fob has buttons for pulling into parking and pulling out of parking.
  • The shifter is much better. Similar to the ID4 or BMW i3. Twist up/forward for drive; twist down/back for reverse. And button on the end for park.
  • 800V battery for super speedy charging!! This is going to be huge! I really wish the MME had this.
  • Front seats have a napping position with foot rest for chilling during charging sessions. Really cool!

I like it, although I’m not sure I see it as a direct competitor to the MME. It’s also great to see more solid EV options entering the market ??

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD + Ext Range
Country flag
It has some cool features but the styling seems a bit too "blade runner" for me. I do hope that as more competition enters the EV space, Ford is forced to incorporate these changes in future versions of the MME
Sponsored