Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition in Grabber Blue
Occupation
IT Network Engineer
Country flag
"Electrify America is looking to simplify the payment process at its charging stations. The company has rolled out a system called Plug & Charge, which can automatically take care of payment when you connect a compatible electric vehicle.

Electrify America now has more than 500 charging stations across the US, with more than 2,200 individual chargers. Plug & Charge is now available at all of those chargers ahead of compatible EVs hitting the road. The system is based on the ISO 15118 standard and it authenticates payments through vehicle-to-grid communications.

Details about Plug & Charge emerged in early 2019. At the time, Electrify America revealed plans to roll out the tech to all of its charging stations by the end of that year, so it's a bit behind schedule.

The first EVs that support the system are the 2021 Porsche Taycan, Ford Mustang Mach-E and Lucid Air, all of which will arrive in the coming months. It’s likely that support for Plug & Charge support will come to other EVs later."
https://www.engadget.com/electrify-america-ev-charging-payments-191652222.html
Sponsored

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Great news - I had assumed it would being that FordPass makes it clear which EA chargers supported "P&C" (Plug & Charge). And the fact that you can have a sort of FordPass "balance".

Will be nice for those 2-3 times a year that I charge via EA to just plug 'er in and let it do it's thing.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Great news - I had assumed it would being that FordPass makes it clear which EA chargers supported "P&C" (Plug & Charge). And the fact that you can have a sort of FordPass "balance".

Will be nice for those 2-3 times a year that I charge via EA to just plug 'er in and let it do it's thing.
Same here. It's nice, but for a few times per year, not really a big deal. I'm certainly fine doing what I do now everytime we fill up at Costco (swipe the card).

I'm much more concerned about them just making sure the chargers charge dependably when we show up on a road trip through Utah.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Same here. It's nice, but for a few times per year, not really a big deal. I'm certainly fine doing what I do now everytime we fill up at Costco (swipe the card).

I'm much more concerned about them just making sure the chargers charge dependably when we show up on a road trip through Utah.
Except some chargers require you to futz with an app, register an account, etc that you may not have installed at the time of wanting to use said charger.

Not sure how EA is, but a lot of different networks out there.

rickmendes

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium Extended Range Space White
Occupation
Author
Country flag
As I don't want to fly under current conditions, I am thinking about taking my Mach-E on a long trip East to see family. The ABRP app has already routed me on the EA Northern cross-country route so I will get plenty of chances to try this out.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Actually, this should improve the situation that some cars have had with the weight of the cables pulling too hard on the CCS connector. Since you won't have to interact with the screen on the station, you can just support the cable at the connector side until the session begins and the connector locks into place. Well, at least for the MME and other newer car models.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Except some chargers require you to futz with an app, register an account, etc that you may not have installed at the time of wanting to use said charger.

But I think this announcement is only EA, if I read it correctly. And EA the #1 priority network I'd be sure to have installed and working before any road trip (whether it be their native app or FordPass, if it works).

Even if/when Plug & Charge makes it's was to other networks, I assume we're still gonna have to have pre-set up an account with that network for payment, and register the car. (Or again, use a consolidated account like FordPass.)

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Yes but this P&C will only work with EA for now , so if you go to an EV Go charger you will still need an account with them unless they have credit card readers.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
But I think this announcement is only EA, if I read it correctly. And EA the #1 priority network I'd be sure to have installed and working before any road trip (whether it be their native app or FordPass, if it works).

Even if/when Plug & Charge makes it's was to other networks, I assume we're still gonna have to have pre-set up an account with that network for payment, and register the car. (Or again, use a consolidated account like FordPass.)
That is exactly the goal is that it will all go trough your Ford Pass account, one account for all that's it. When this happen it will be great.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag

It is. I thought you were talking about "swiping your card" in a general sense, not just at EA. So I was saying it's not that easy at a lot of stations.

But yes, I too am hoping that Ford Pass will make it easy.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It is. I thought you were talking about "swiping your card" in a general sense, not just at EA. So I was saying it's not that easy at a lot of stations.

But yes, I too am hoping that Ford Pass will make it easy.
I was, but that actually brings up another question... do we really need an account set up for some retail chargers if we're just swiping/tapping a credit card? I would think if paying "at the pump" so to speak (via credit card swipe/tap), then we wouldn't need an account.

Or do some retail chargers not have credit card readers (and thus require pre-registration)?

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
As I don't want to fly under current conditions, I am thinking about taking my Mach-E on a long trip East to see family. The ABRP app has already routed me on the EA Northern cross-country route so I will get plenty of chances to try this out.
For what it's worth, "Most viruses and other germs do not spread easily on flights because of how air circulates and is filtered on airplanes," source: CDC.

While physical distancing is difficult in airports and on some flights, consider that you're probably at a greater risk from a collision on a long road trip than you are from COVID-19 on a plane trip.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That is exactly the goal is that it will all go trough your Ford Pass account, one account for all that's it. When this happen it will be great.
If using FordPass, yes. Hoping they get the FordPass app working well and that all this charger payment works as advertised.

But if not using FordPass, then the less automatic processes apply. Which may still be an issue for Mach-E owners after the (2?) free years of FordPass expires. Depending on the cost, I may not bother to pay for ongoing subscription if I rarely use retail charging, and just decide to pay ad hoc. (Or maybe sign up for EA's Pass+.)

Anyone heard what FordPass subscription will cost after the free period expires?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I was, but that actually brings up another question... do we really need an account set up for some retail chargers if we're just swiping/tapping a credit card? I would think if paying "at the pump" so to speak (via credit card swipe/tap), then we wouldn't need an account.

Or do some retail chargers not have credit card readers (and thus require pre-registration)?
Some have credit card readers but most require an account and/or app.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We've driven to Las Vegas twice this year. It was great to get away. Spending the extra time to drive was actually a plus this year rather than a pain relative to sitting around the house so much and running out of things to watch on TV. Just felt good to get out of the house.

We plan to take more road trips than normal in 2021 too. Things probably won't be fully "normal" for another year (at least). And when they are, the pent-up demand for travel will probably make it a pain.
Sponsored