OP
ajmartineau

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Sadly I worry this graph might be the end of Mach E journey. My in-law's just moved closer to us and my wife would like us to visit them often, however looking I'd need to charge to 94% at a stop if we wanted to do just one. With that 80-94% being so low it might just make the trip take too much longer to make her happy.

Wish my car was delayed a bit more to see if any range help is coming but now to convince the wife that a long break at a Walmart isn't the worst thing before seeing her parents
I would plan on two quick stops until that 80% cliff is adjusted.
Sponsored

solarmoo900

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE AWD ER
Country flag
Making two stops would be better than trying to charge past 80% on DCFC. Even just a 10-15 2nd stop might be enough. Is there an additional charger along the route? What cities/towns are you going between?
Unless there's no DC fast charger in between, it wouldn't make sense to charge past 80%. Just make two 20-minutes pit stops instead of one 60-plus minutes stop and you're golden.
I would plan on two quick stops until that 80% cliff is adjusted.
The route is from Chicago to Louisville so there are plenty of charging stations just we right now with an ICE make the drive without stopping once, having to stop twice + all the charging makes a 20% increase in the trip time. Just worried that an increase in stops is a potential slow down (get off highway, find charger, hope the first one i plug into works)

Probably just a panic for us over the new lifestyle of a BEV but its definitely become a possible concern.

Does anyone have an idea of how long it would take to get from 80-100 if needed?

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
How is this graph developed? Someone reading data points ever minute? OP: Sorry for the gaps (had people come up at different times and want to talk about the car).
Yes, I was writing down info every minute or so. It was cold that day too if I remember it was about 20 something. People would come up and ask about the car, I'd get distracted and forget to write something down or miss it off of the screen when it updated.

OP
OP
ajmartineau

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The route is from Chicago to Louisville so there are plenty of charging stations just we right now with an ICE make the drive without stopping once, having to stop twice + all the charging makes a 20% increase in the trip time. Just worried that an increase in stops is a potential slow down (get off highway, find charger, hope the first one i plug into works)

Probably just a panic for us over the new lifestyle of a BEV but its definitely become a possible concern.

Does anyone have an idea of how long it would take to get from 80-100 if needed?
I hear ya. I went through the same sinking realization regarding potential road trips (in my case, 785 miles Denver-Vegas). Seems like every troublesome detail is stacked against road trips in a BEV (while just the opposite using a BEV for an around-home daily use vehicle if you have home charging). It absolutely takes longer. It absolutely takes more compromise than an ICE vehicle. The question for each person is just whether they're able to put up with that or not for road trip use?

The only evidence we have now for 80-100% SOC DCFC charging is that it's super slow (like ~12 kW, which would be like 90 extra minutes to get all the way to 100%). It's really not even thinkable IMO. There's hope that it will get much better eventually, but no one knows.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm not sure you couldn't just do Chicago-Louisville in one stop. That's what ABRP shows in the AWD ER MME, leaving Chicago at 100% (home charge), and then only needing one charge to 55% mid-trip.

But that's in good weather. The colder it gets, the more cabin heat you'd use that shortens that range. And maybe your actual route is more than the 300 miles it shows from Chicago to Louisville. And maybe you don't have home charging on the other end (maybe it hard to get to 100% to start the return trip). Still a lot of factors. But if it is just a 300 mile trip, I bet you could do that in just 1 stop the vast majority of the time. (IF you have the ER battery.)

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes, I was writing down info every minute or so. It was cold that day too if I remember it was about 20 something. People would come up and ask about the car, I'd get distracted and forget to write something down or miss it off of the screen when it updated.
Thanks for the work and info. 20F that's shorts weather? ;). Agree my first impressions are people are really into this vehicle. Chasing me with faces pressed on the glass all smile :D.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Wow, that's dedication! Thanks for the work.

Another option if you decide to do another test at some point -- cell phone video cameras often have a time lapse setting in them. Just prop up the phone to point at the screen and record. Of course, to make a graph you'd still have to sit down and transcribe it from the video. (Or, just post the video.)

solarmoo900

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE AWD ER
Country flag
... about an hour and a half
Wow, not great ha

I hear ya. I went through the same sinking realization regarding potential road trips (in my case, 785 miles Denver-Vegas). Seems like every troublesome detail is stacked against road trips in a BEV (while just the opposite using a BEV for an around-home daily use vehicle if you have home charging). It absolutely takes longer. It absolutely takes more compromise than an ICE vehicle. The question for each person is just whether they're able to put up with that or not for road trip use?

The only evidence we have now for 80-100% SOC DCFC charging is that it's super slow (like ~12 kW, which would be like 90 extra minutes to get all the way to 100%). It's really not even thinkable IMO. There's hope that it will get much better eventually, but no one knows.
Yeah, definitely need a lot of faith that it can improve a bit at the tail end

I'm not sure you couldn't just do Chicago-Louisville in one stop. That's what ABRP shows in the AWD ER MME, leaving Chicago at 100% (home charge), and then only needing one charge to 55% mid-trip.

But that's in good weather. The colder it gets, the more cabin heat you'd use that shortens that range. And maybe your actual route is more than the 300 miles it shows from Chicago to Louisville. And maybe you don't have home charging on the other end (maybe it hard to get to 100% to start the return trip). Still a lot of factors. But if it is just a 300 mile trip, I bet you could do that in just 1 stop the vast majority of the time. (IF you have the ER battery.)
Luckily our in laws have agreed to install a charger at their end, the problem is actually in ours. We won't have home charging at first so just something we've got to work around to get to 100% before the start of the trip. I had been running abrp starting at 80.

Also the cold is definitely on the mind with it being below 0 this weekend.

OP
OP
ajmartineau

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Charging curve update from Norway.
@ChasingCoral ...The answer to your question in the other thread. These numbers are pulled from Bjorn's Livestream for his range test and 1000km challenge.

Ford Mustang Mach-E MME Charging Curve Data Collection bjorn testing min

Ford Mustang Mach-E MME Charging Curve Data Collection bjorn testing percentage

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Charging curve update from Norway.
@ChasingCoral ...The answer to your question in the other thread. These numbers are pulled from Bjorn's Livestream for his range test and 1000km challenge.

Perfect! thanks.