Model 3 owner test drove Mach E

RW Journey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford MME FE
Country flag
Things may have changed, but as of a few months ago the Ford Option Bonus Cash varied by zip code. Some lucky zips got the $2,500. Other zips only got $1,000. Oh and it’s determined by your residence - not where you buy.

To figure out what you qualify for, build out an order on Ford.com and click on the financing button - then select Ford Options.

And be prepared - most dealerships don’t know anything about Ford Options unless they’ve sold several Mach Es.
Ford Options might have been a poor name for the program. When I asked about Ford Options when mine arrived, they had many responses. "It has whatever options you ordered it with" was my favorite. And don't say "Ford Options" to the finance guy... "Are you looking for a lease or purchase?" In most dealerships defense, "Ford Options" isn't something they ever had to deal with or offer in the past.

The reality was, it added something memorable to the experience. At least that is the way I look at it.
Sponsored

rogerq23

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Civic
Country flag
Things may have changed, but as of a few months ago the Ford Option Bonus Cash varied by zip code. Some lucky zips got the $2,500. Other zips only got $1,000. Oh and it’s determined by your residence - not where you buy.

To figure out what you qualify for, build out an order on Ford.com and click on the financing button - then select Ford Options.

And be prepared - most dealerships don’t know anything about Ford Options unless they’ve sold several Mach Es.

WHAT? we do get a $2,500 rebate from Ford Option? I think I did see that before. I was finishing my numbers online, I don't think Ford Option numbers can be done online anymore.

I only see Finance with Ford, Finance third party and Cash.
I don't think my sales rep is including my rebate from Ford Option.

San Jose, CA here.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
WHAT? we do get a $2,500 rebate from Ford Option? I think I did see that before. I was finishing my numbers online, I don't think Ford Option numbers can be done online anymore.

I only see Finance with Ford, Finance third party and Cash.
I don't think my sales rep is including my rebate from Ford Option.

San Jose, CA here.
Yes, you do get the $2,500 with Options based on your zip code.

You can still see the Ford Options finance calculator if you go to ford.com and select the Mach-E, then select to build it. Build one with your options (trim, packages, etc) and before you finish it out, look for the Finance calculator icon.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
I think the MME is smooth as butter, but it does have a fairly stiff ride on roads that aren't well maintained. I like being able to feel the road (to a point). I can only imagine how rough a M3 or MY would feel hearing your comments about it.
MME suspension is kind of springy. I didn't notice that until I drove on some wavy asphalt recently, which seemed to be triggering suspension resonance. I felt like jack in the box.?

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
I rented a model Y for a day and the next week my Ford dealer let me have the MME for the day. There is absolutely no doubt the quality of ride is far superior in the MME. The road noise and suspension is in a different stratosphere in favor of the MME. Really the only thing I see Tesla doing better is the instant speed and torque. That being said the MME I had for the day was RWD. To tell you the truth after driving it for the day I started questioning the need for the AWD model I ordered (being delivered 1st week of July, Yeah Me). I felt the RWD was plenty powerful when in Unbridled and punching it.

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
I believe BlueCruise is available/included with the Comfort/Technology Package on the Select models.
1623284724025.png
Right now it's just Blue cruise "ready". It was called Active drive prep. I actually have a Select with this option so I'm keeping an eye out for the roll out.

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD | SR
Country flag
MME suspension is kind of springy. I didn't notice that until I drove on some wavy asphalt recently, which seemed to be triggering suspension resonance. I felt like jack in the box.?
I think we're experiencing the same thing, just describing it differently. It's a very odd experience, from what I'm told from my wife it's worse in the back seat.

OP
OP
MachTee

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
As you noted and the manual the buffer is considered by Ford not the owner. 90% is your tesla 80. You would be purchasing a model S/X pack with the MME for about the price of the small packed model y.
My thoughts exactly. I like having the large buffer. Normally I charge my TM3 to 75%. With the MME, even on the standard range, I'm thinking my routine will be at 85% and the real world range between the two cars will be very small. As to range, I rarely drive more than 100 miles a day. Normal routine is around 50. For me, the practical use of having more range is to minimize charge cycles which should help longevity.

BlueCruise will be $600 for a 3-year subscription.
If you purchase prior to BlueCruise implementation, they have been giving a $100 incentive (rebate) off the purchase price. You'll still have to pay the $600, but you got $100 off.

Once BlueCruise is implemented, the price of the vehicles will increase $600.
Thanks for pointing that out. $200/yr is reasonable.

Nice writeup, thanks. The above caught my eye. It sounds like you expected an Extended Range (ER) to have better acceleration than a Standard Range (SR).

AWD vs. RWD is what makes the performance difference, not the battery size. Since the battery in the ER is heavier, equivalent cars are slightly slower off the line. Conversely, for example, an AWD ER will be noticeably quicker than a RWD ER, because it has more HP due to the dual motors. But it will also have less range for the same reason.
Per Ford website, the SR AWD is 266HP, while the ER AWD 346HP. Torque is the same on both at 428. 0-60MPH is 5.2s vs 4.8s.

I browsed several other dealers. Some are listing the $2500 Ford cash. I'll visit another dealership today and hopefully they'll have a SR AWD for test drive. And if they'll honor the Ford cash deal I very well might trade.

ford2500.JPG

OP
OP
MachTee

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have officially joined the MME club :cool:?

They beat Vroom's offer on the TM3 which was unexpected, but they wanted me to take delivery right then and there and I didn't object ;) Was able to get the Ford Options $2500 rebate plus the $100 for drive assist special package bonus cash.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Model 3 owner test drove Mach E Mine.JPG

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
Great-looking car! In fact, looks just like mine. :cool: And the Infinite Blue will apparently be a collector's edition.

Per Ford website, the SR AWD is 266HP, while the ER AWD 346HP. Torque is the same on both at 428. 0-60MPH is 5.2s vs 4.8s.
You are right! Thanks for setting me straight. The Standard RWD is quicker than the Extended RWD, but I forgot that they boosted the HP on the ER AWD and it is indeed quicker than the Standard. I do remember reading that now. I guess they can suck a little more juice out of the bigger battery.

Enjoy your drive!

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Mach-E GT, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The Mach E manual states that you can charge to 90% regularly, not 85%. I would add to your comments that the Mach E is more stylish and has a much better interior than the Model 3. Also more cargo space.

OP
OP
MachTee

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Great-looking car! In fact, looks just like mine. :cool: And the Infinite Blue will apparently be a collector's edition.

You are right! Thanks for setting me straight. The Standard RWD is quicker than the Extended RWD, but I forgot that they boosted the HP on the ER AWD and it is indeed quicker than the Standard. I do remember reading that now. I guess they can suck a little more juice out of the bigger battery.

Enjoy your drive!
I test drove the very car I bought before I decided. Punching the go pedal from a stop, I can't say that it felt any weaker than the ER I initially test drove. This is really all I care for, the instant pull from a dead stop. The ER probably keeps pulling for a bit longer once at speed, which seems to be the case since both SR and ER have the same torque rating.

The Mach E manual states that you can charge to 90% regularly, not 85%. I would add to your comments that the Mach E is more stylish and has a much better interior than the Model 3. Also more cargo space.
Absolutely. The side profile is is fantastic.

I wanted to add, insurance on the MME is over 40% lower than the TM3 - went from $1068/yr to $604/yr with the same exact coverage.

Reactions: ARK
OP
OP
MachTee

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Some notes about my first charge at home on my MME. I've set my car's schedule to 85% charge while at home, and topped it off the first night I had the car. The next morning I decided to bring it to 100% and reset the EV history in the car to try to recalibrate the GOM. It took about 1:45 to bring it from 85 to 100%.

From 100%, I drove the car for 155 miles and consumed 65% of the charge. 64 miles of which was a round trip with the cruise control set to 70MPH. Outside temp was 68F and no AC was used. The rest of the miles were local 40-55MPH speed limits, also no AC used at all. Looking promising.

Just brought it back to 85% which will probably be my routine. From 35% to 85% it consumed 29kWh taking 5.5 hours. It draws about 5.25kW while charging. I have a solar system with consumption monitor so I can get a good measurement. I was expecting it to draw 6kW while charging since It's a 32A charger, like the TM3 did.

What is the purpose of having to set a location and a schedule in order to set a charge % of my choosing? Charge percentage setting should be directly accessible. I would also have liked having the ability to change the charging amperage, and a separate and dedicated trip meter that resets itself with every charge session, in addition to the 3 that are available.

I will probably post some thoughts directly comparing the TM3 to the MME as time goes on. Should I start a new thread or just reply to this thread?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
What is the purpose of having to set a location and a schedule in order to set a charge % of my choosing?
I'm guessing the goal was to keep things simple, straightforward, and streamlined for 95% of use cases first, and then slowly work towards the last 5% from there.

In this case, most people want to charge to 100% while overnight charging during traveling. So when I stop overnight at a hotel during a trip, I want to wake up and be ready for the next leg of my journey with a full tank of fuel.

Offering a geofenced-setting that is less than a full tank makes sense for use cases where I only charge at home or at work, or if I charge at both locations. (Maybe I only want to charge to 50% at home and 90% at work if work charging is "free").

I would also have liked having the ability to change the charging amperage
I was hoping for an option to set maximum amperage, too, but via additional Ford Mobile Charger connectors, not in vehicle. If Ford were to expose a current limiting setting in the vehicle, it would likely frustrate users who arrive at a new place and expect a fast charge but forgot or didn't understand in the first place that the vehicle was artificially increasing how long it will take to fill up.

And if I am charging at home for the first time, or I've changed my home circuitry, I would need to be able to modify max amperage at the vehicle before plugging in, or I'd otherwise cause a breaker to trip.

Instead I was hoping Ford would provide or sell additional connectors for the mobile charger beyond the two included, just like they do for European customers. You plug in the connector that matches your wall receptacle and the EVSE configures itself based on the attached connector. This is what Tesla does for their mobile charger, also.

OP
OP
MachTee

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm guessing the goal was to keep things simple, straightforward, and streamlined for 95% of use cases first, and then slowly work towards the last 5% from there.

In this case, most people want to charge to 100% while overnight charging during traveling. So when I stop overnight at a hotel during a trip, I want to wake up and be ready for the next leg of my journey with a full tank of fuel.

Offering a geofenced-setting that is less than a full tank makes sense for use cases where I only charge at home or at work, or if I charge at both locations. (Maybe I only want to charge to 50% at home and 90% at work if work charging is "free").

I was hoping for an option to set maximum amperage, too, but via additional Ford Mobile Charger connectors, not in vehicle. If Ford were to expose a current limiting setting in the vehicle, it would likely frustrate users who arrive at a new place and expect a fast charge but forgot or didn't understand in the first place that the vehicle was artificially increasing how long it will take to fill up.

And if I am charging at home for the first time, or I've changed my home circuitry, I would need to be able to modify max amperage at the vehicle before plugging in, or I'd otherwise cause a breaker to trip.

Instead I was hoping Ford would provide or sell additional connectors for the mobile charger beyond the two included, just like they do for European customers. You plug in the connector that matches your wall receptacle and the EVSE configures itself based on the attached connector. This is what Tesla does for their mobile charger, also.
In Tesla, as soon as you open the charge port, the charge management screen is front and center. You simply slide the battery to a percentage of your choosing. Same with charge current, just a simple up/down button to adjust. In the MME, it seems to be way over complicated to simply change the charge percentage. Charge current I understand most people probably won't bother with.

That said, with the large buffer the MME has, it's really not a big issue to just plug in and forget. I forgot to mention this in my last post. Even with the car 100%, I still have full regen. I have a steep downhill leaving my subdivision, coasted to the stop sign without touching the brake pedal. It totally didn't hit me until now, that it's a new luxury of the MME. In the Tesla, the very few occasions that I charged it to 100%, there is 0 regen braking until around 95% and is greatly weaken until below 90% or so and then it gradually goes back to full strength.
Sponsored