OP
hybrid2bev

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
With this description (oh thank you VERY much by the way for the scientific layout), I can't see the difference between "L" and "1PD". Not sure what Ford intends there besides being overly complicated.
The 1PD and L are about the same until you get to nearly stopping. With 1PD the brakes come on and hold the car at a stop. With L only and 1PD off it keeps creeping (if you have Auto Hold off).
Sponsored

MightyJawa

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt
Country flag
With this description (oh thank you VERY much by the way for the scientific layout), I can't see the difference between "L" and "1PD". Not sure what Ford intends there besides being overly complicated.
I wonder if L (and not 1PD) would bring it to a full stop. Might be the difference.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
The 1PD and L are about the same until you get to nearly stopping. With 1PD the brakes come on and hold the car at a stop. With L only and 1PD off it keeps creeping (if you have Auto Hold off).
I would believe the other benefit is it's easier to turn on and off without using the display. Basically you can engage it when going downhill, then turn it off to coast.

Hplbiking

First Name
Hugo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Occupation
Emgineer
Country flag
excellent -
Question - last pic left side seems to have open access to what looks like a fuse set? Is that open or covered?
I think that is a OBD (on board diagnostic) port.

J Duce

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Sport
Country flag
I see this question being posed endlessly. Is there an advantage to regen at 100%? I would think that regen in general is advantageous but with my ZERO experience with EVs, what is the hang up or so much focus of regen at 100% SOC?

This issue here being whether regenerative braking exists at 100% user SOC. For some brands there is no regenerative braking in this condition.

Hplbiking

First Name
Hugo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Occupation
Emgineer
Country flag
I would believe the other benefit is it's easier to turn on and off without using the display. Basically you can engage it when going downhill, then turn it off to coast.
I did read in the manual there is setting for brake hold. Once set and you come to a stop you can remove your foot from the brake, or maybe the accelerator? That will be great for long stops and quick get aways:)

OP
OP
hybrid2bev

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How is the auto steer and self driving stop/start1 modes working?
To be honest I haven't tried it yet on the Mach-E. (Since we already have it on our ' 20Explorer ST it's not a whiz bang upgrade to me). Plus I'm having too much fun driving the Mach-E manually.

I'll try it out this weekend or tonight.

OP
OP
hybrid2bev

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I did read in the manual there is setting for brake hold. Once set and you come to a stop you can remove your foot from the brake, or maybe the accelerator? That will be great for long stops and quick get aways:)
Yes, the Auto Hold is a great feature. I use it all the time in our Explorer. With 1PD the auto hold is on by design. If you turn on the Auto Hold for when not using 1PD then once it's stopped you'll see an indicator on the dash, you can then remove your foot from the brake pedal. Once you lightly tap on the accelerator the brakes release.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
I see this question being posed endlessly. Is there an advantage to regen at 100%? I would think that regen in general is advantageous but with my ZERO experience with EVs, what is the hang up or so much focus of regen at 100% SOC?
There are various reasons, such as increased efficiency, but the main one I think about is safety. The down the mountain scenario. If you have no regenerative braking and are traveling downhill, you have no "engine braking." You would have to use friction brakes, which would probably burn up after a little while, which is dangerous. In a gas car you just downshift since gearing will slow the vehicle, so the only equivalent in an EV is to have regenerative braking available.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
aha! Ok, thanks for the clarification. Still somewhat over-complicated but now at least I see the use case.

J Duce

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Sport
Country flag
There are various reasons, such as increased efficiency, but the main one I think about is safety. The down the mountain scenario. If you have no regenerative braking and are traveling downhill, you have no "engine braking." You would have to use friction brakes, which would probably burn up after a little while, which is dangerous. In a gas car you just downshift since gearing will slow the vehicle, so the only equivalent in an EV is to have regenerative braking available.
Thank you. I didn't realize there was a safety component to it. I just thought it was only battery regen.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Or make the friction brakes upsized a bit... which is what happens.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
I wonder if L (and not 1PD) would bring it to a full stop. Might be the difference.
My understanding from what I read...
L going down a hill should use regen to keep you from accelerating (but not stop if not 1PD).

Jqh797

First Name
Jarrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium RWD Extended Range
Country flag
So I'm only on day 1. Took delivery with 18 miles on it and now have 86. The car is amazing! I kid you not we got waved to and honked at twice already. One guy rolled down his window on a 4 lane road (8 lanes total) as we were driving and asked if this was “the electric one”. Big smile and thumbs up.

I'm in SE MI so it's cold here too, in the 20s F. Had the heat set to 68F and auto 1 fan. I left the dealer at 100% it's now at 74%. I've been driving like a jackass for 68 miles so I'm not concerned about the efficiency.

I started out in Engage mode. It's nice balanced drive. I put it in Unbridled mode and whoa this thing is quick! It gets up to speed so fast you have to be careful. Going 45-50 and press it a bit and you're going 60 in no time.

I didn't get to push it hard in the curves yet, I went through a couple roundabouts at a speed faster than I usually do without any body roll. It feels solid.

I think the speed and handling compare to my wife's Explorer ST (400 HP). That car is quick. The Mach-E is just as quick if not a bit faster and it does it without the fake engine noise of the ST.

I had the radio on for about 4 minutes total, the rest of the drive I was just enjoying the silence of the drive. Very little road/wind noise.

Met the GM and sales manager at the dealer. Both said thanks for the business and were very excited about the vehicle. Apparently everyone at the dealer from sales and service was checking it out since it was the first one for them.

There was a rep from Ford there checking it out and making sure everything was good. One of my protection package mats had a defect (white lettering is not completely white the "E" in Mach-E is black), so Ford is sending the dealer a whole new set of mats. Once they come in I'll go back to the dealer to swap out all of the mats.

With the protection package I they just put the cargo cover mat on top of the 'floor' piece. So no parts were removed.

So fun to drive! I agree that the one pedal drive takes a few minutes to figure out, but it’s cool!!

My salesman did not know about Ford Options. So I sent them the info and where they could find it on their own too. So I got it done, 48 months x 12k miles.

195D2746-E6AF-49D4-93A8-7488CF2C9358.jpeg
0A191D8E-CE63-4857-84A1-635A11299643.jpeg
8B4D5917-8C70-431E-BAF4-778C9EABFFFC.jpeg
D8B22B60-BEBC-4040-8165-6AF24951E9FA.jpeg
478E6759-3AA3-41C8-81CB-89FE6BB6E5AA.jpeg
4A8A1E3E-3CDA-4E6B-8BE2-C5502CCF9304.jpeg
Congratulations! Thoughts on the frunk divider now that you can see it in person? You think you will leave it in or remove it? Is there enough room in the “compartmentsl for a backpack or moderately filled grocery bag?