First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Route 1
Country flag
Hi everyone,

I thought it might be useful to relay my experience with the dreaded "Stop Safely Now" hardware/software error for my own 2023 Mach E CR1, in case it is helpful. I recently parked my car to run errands, and when I returned, I tried to start it and I got the red box, "Stop Safely Now". I tried to restart (many many times), but was unable to. The car's electronics would function, but the gear knob locked, and I was stuck.

Having heard of the SSN error before, I checked on this forum, and one bit of advice seemed to make sense to me. They suggested to walk away from your car with your key FOB for a few blocks, and wait 15 minutes or so to let the car's computer cache/CMOS (or whatever) to fully reset. Basically, like a hard restart of a computer.

I thought it was unlikely to work, and figured it was a hardware problem, so I tried the Ford Roadside Assistance app, and called my dealership. I must say, both were very responsive, and once I had things in hand and scheduled, I returned to my car. I was curious, and sat down and tried to restart, and it did! No problem.

So, what now? I decided to try and cancel the tow (which I eventually was able to do), and I drove it to the dealership worrying that the red SSN box would appear at any moment on my way! It didn't, and I made it and they took the car in.

So after about a week, the dealership techs (in consultation with Ford engineers it seems) have concluded that there is no hardware issue (regarding stuff like the BECM modules, or worse, the HVBJB). But what they did say, was that they were getting unexpected diagnostic readings between modules. So, a software issue.

So the case remains open, but they released the car back to me while Ford engineers debug their software remotely I guess. The car works great, glad to have it back, but I was just wondering if anyone else has run into this type of experience (a software fault that is perhaps new)?

--Aranimus
Sponsored