Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GTPE, 2007 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Background:
My car is a 2021 Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition, a Job 2 model built on December 1, 2021. At the time of the failure, the vehicle had 6,031 miles and had been in service for just over three months. I normally charge at home on a Level 2 GRIZZL-E charger (to 90% every morning, with departure times and pre-conditioning), consume roughly 10% battery on my morning commute, leave the vehicle for 8-10 hours in an uncovered parking lot (no charging available at work), then drive home consuming another 10%. I plug in as soon as I get home and the vehicle usually reaches 90% charge by 8 or 9 PM. I've only used DC Fast Charging on 3-4 long road trips since purchase, and the last time I'd used a Level 3 DC Fast Charger was 11 days prior on Sunday, April 10. At the time of failure, the battery state of charge was approximately 72%.

Thursday, April 21:
Stopped on the way home from work to do some shopping, came out to leave to find the "Stop Safely Now" error. Repeated attempts to re-start were unsuccessful. I waited 30 minutes to no avail. Called Ford's Emergency Roadside Assistance, and the first truck arrived after 30 minutes. Driver stated that because I was in a parking spot, he would need to charge an additional $100 "fee" to load. I refused and called Ford again, who dispatched another company. I had to wait an hour, but they arrived and quickly and easily backed the car into a spot where they could load. (Note I was able to get the car into Neutral using the center screen, as my 12V battery still had capacity.)

Ford Mustang Mach-E My "Stop Safely Now" Saga IMG_3184

Ford Mustang Mach-E My "Stop Safely Now" Saga IMG_3196

The tow driver had never loaded a Mach-E, so I was glad I'd downloaded the Towing Point PDF found on this forum. He quickly and easily got the car onto the flatbed, drama-free.
Ford Mustang Mach-E My "Stop Safely Now" Saga IMG_3197

Ford Mustang Mach-E My "Stop Safely Now" Saga IMG_3198

Ford Mustang Mach-E My "Stop Safely Now" Saga IMG_3199

Watching her roll away from the passenger seat of my wife's F-150...
Ford Mustang Mach-E My "Stop Safely Now" Saga IMG_3201

Offloaded at my local Ford dealer, luckily only a five-minute drive away.
Ford Mustang Mach-E My "Stop Safely Now" Saga IMG_3204

No dealer loaners are available, so I'll be driving my 2007 Shelby GT500 to work for the foreseeable future. Not exactly a comfortable commuter car!

Friday, April 22:
My service tech wasn't able to get the car into the bay to start disassembly (he was working on a 2.3L Mustang), but was able to get all the trouble codes, which confirmed the HVBJB issue.

Monday, April 25:
New HVBJB was ordered, with a 3- to 5-day ETA. Dealer loaner was available - a 2022 Ford Edge Titanium AWD (fully loaded) - so I picked up and signed an initial agreement with an expiration of May 8. Nice, but I still miss my EV!

Monday, May 2:
Replacement HVBJB arrived. Still awaiting time on my service tech's calendar to begin repair.

Tuesday, May 3:
Repair began late in the afternoon.

Wednesday, May 4:
In-progress pictures sent by my service manager and tech. Notably, mine is the first Mach-E whose battery has been removed, hence the great interest from the entire service department!

Ford Mustang Mach-E My "Stop Safely Now" Saga IMG_3671

Ford Mustang Mach-E My "Stop Safely Now" Saga IMG_2345

Ford Mustang Mach-E My "Stop Safely Now" Saga IMG_2342

Ford Mustang Mach-E My "Stop Safely Now" Saga IMG_2343

Ford Mustang Mach-E My "Stop Safely Now" Saga IMG_2346

Thursday, May 5:
Good news, bad news. Good news: HVBJB replacement complete with no issues. Bad news: pressure testing of the reassembled battery failed. Small crack found where the battery cover rises up to cover the array under the rear seat. Great quote from my tech: "Apparently these things are made of eggshells!"

Ford Mustang Mach-E My "Stop Safely Now" Saga IMG_2349

Friday, May 6:
Visited dealer to inspect cracked battery cover and to sign an extension of the loaner agreement. New battery cover ordered, ETA 3-5 days. As my service manager and tech watched me carefully photograph every item with a part number, they muttered, "You are SUCH an engineer!" Guilty as charged! :)

Ford Mustang Mach-E My "Stop Safely Now" Saga IMG_3212

Ford Mustang Mach-E My "Stop Safely Now" Saga IMG_3213

Ford Mustang Mach-E My "Stop Safely Now" Saga IMG_3214

Ford Mustang Mach-E My "Stop Safely Now" Saga IMG_3215

Ford Mustang Mach-E My "Stop Safely Now" Saga IMG_3216

Ford Mustang Mach-E My "Stop Safely Now" Saga IMG_3218

Ford Mustang Mach-E My "Stop Safely Now" Saga IMG_3219

Ford Mustang Mach-E My "Stop Safely Now" Saga IMG_3220

Monday, May 9:
Replacement battery cover arrived...damaged from shipping. It was hapazardly loaded on a double-pallet too small for the box. Another replacement ordered, this time with "special handling" which will hopefully protect it better. Downside is, it'll likely take longer, and they can't track it's ETA. So now we're just waiting.

Ford Mustang Mach-E My "Stop Safely Now" Saga IMG_2369

Ford Mustang Mach-E My "Stop Safely Now" Saga IMG_2368

Wednesday, May 18:
My dealer received an intact battery cover, which came equipped with the foam blocks on the bottom (facing the battery internals), but NOT on the top, even though the parts catalog says it does, and there is no separate part number call-out for the top foam blocks. Tech is working with the Parts Hotline and a Field Service Engineer to get the blocks ordered. He was at least able to re-assemble the battery and start the leak test. Fingers crossed!

So that's where I am as of Friday, May 13 Wednesday, May 18. This is Day 22 27 without my car. My dealer has been great every step of the way, with a loaner ASAP, timely updates, and nearly free reign to inspect things in progress. I just hope the next battery cover arrives intact!

I'm also concerned that the root cause hasn't yet been addressed - we've already seen other forum users have the same issue re-occur. I don't want another ticking time-bomb under the "hood" - I want to be able to trust my car! Apparently according to the Field Service Engineer, a TSB is on the way, but who knows how long that will take...or if the root cause will actually be fixed. Fingers definitely crossed!

I also know there's going to be a full day (or more!) of software updates once the battery is reassembled and reinstalled. I'm definitely looking forward to the charging curve improvements!

I'll update this thread as I learn more.

Last edited:

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Thanks for this informative post. Nice to see you have a dealer who knows what they're doing, or at least is on top of the ball.

But I also have to say what the FUCK, Ford? This seems to be happening quite often, forum "echo chamber" noted. If a TSB really is on the way, I can't wait to bring my brand new car to a dealer to have the battery pack dropped :rolleyes:

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Well at least your car crapped itself in front of a BBQ place.

Thanks for sharing, hope they figure out how to ship a part to your dealer this time. All of our cars are just waiting to strand us until they fix what's a pretty serious powertrain design defect.

While you wait for your next battery cover replacement, can you please post your lovely experience to NHTSA? Link:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Excellent write up. Sorry this happened to you. Honestly, I try to keep in the back of my mind that reading forums is a myopic view of a car's reliability, but I have to admit that I mildly panic inside every time I get in my car that its going to happen to me. For a while it seemed like it was just Job 1 cars, then GTs started getting hit and now we have people with multiple failures.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Very nicely written up. - special thanks for including photos of the part numbers.

Very much looking forward to reading the TSB when it comes out. let's hope that is soon.

Mach-Evan

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-e GT / F-150 Lightning res.
Country flag
Wow @MadManMoon , I love all the detail and pics you added, much more patience than me lol. I'm still waiting for Ford to find a driver to deliver my MME GT that's 750 mi away. That's had it for 2 full weeks now which is short compared to many with this.

Good luck

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I am so sorry this happened to you. I had this scenario in the back of my mind the whole trip to and from Washington. I’m glad your dealer is being so good to you. Bummer about the battery covers. I hope the third one arrives intact installs easily. 😊🐩

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Wonder if somebody stepped on the battery cover since they just set it on the ground. I hope they ordered the foam pieces that stick on the cover in the outlined areas since the new cover doesn’t come with foam. Good heads up on the potential for cover mishandling during the repair.

TonyaE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Ford Flex. 2022 MME premium RWD ER o 1/26/22
Occupation
RN
Country flag
It’s great you were so calm and levelheaded. Sounds like your dealer was on top of their game and I think that helps with customer confidence that things will be done the right way. Most people don’t mind working with a service department like that. I hope you get your beauty back soon.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
The TSB may just be a software update.
Let’s hope. Tesla seems to do this part OK. Heck their solution to the overheating screens because they aren’t automotive grade was to do an OTA.

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Thanks for the update, and I'm really sorry this happened to you. Fortunately it was in a parking lot and not on the road. The photos were really great - especially the one showing the PROPER tow hookup.

That's crazy about the battery cover...didn't realize how susceptible it was to cracking. I hope you get your car back as soon as possible.

I've attached your membership card to use as you see fit :(

HVBJB Club.png

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Thanks for the update, and I'm really sorry this happened to you. Fortunately it was in a parking lot and not on the road. The photos were really great - especially the one showing the PROPER tow hookup.

That's crazy about the battery cover...didn't realize how susceptible it was to cracking. I hope you get your car back as soon as possible.

I've attached your membership card to use as you see fit :(

Ford Mustang Mach-E My "Stop Safely Now" Saga HVBJB Club
The only club I don’t wanna be in

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Wow, what a great write up. Mine is at the dealer now for the same concern. I will say though Ford has really been great about getting the engineering team involved right away. It really seems like they are taking each of these cases seriously and really trying to get to the bottom of the cause of these failures.
Sponsored