New /upgraded Electrify America 350 amp will not connect but 150 amp will

Digitalsteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e GTPE (replaced 2021 Premium RWD)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Paso Robes, CA: EA just upgraded the Bank of America 4 stall station and there are now 3 stalls at 350amps and a single 150amp. Last night at 9:30 PM I pulled in with 7% remaining. The connection kept timing out. After 3 tries at each of two different 350 amp stalls, I called EA and they ran me through 2 more tries, then reset the station. Still the connection was timing out, so they said try another stall. I went to stall 01 (the 150amp) and it worked perfectly first try. Total wasted time was 30 minutes. Asked for a charging credit for compensation and they said no. Note: I received a text earlier in the day that this station was back on line after an upgrade. Checked availability on the EA app before committing to using it.
Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Paso Robes, CA: EA just upgraded the Bank of America 4 stall station and there are now 3 stalls at 350amps and a single 150amp. Last night at 9:30 PM I pulled in with 7% remaining. The connection kept timing out. After 3 tries at each of two different 350 amp stalls, I called EA and they ran me through 2 more tries, then reset the station. Still the connection was timing out, so they said try another stall. I went to stall 01 (the 150amp) and it worked perfectly first try. Total wasted time was 30 minutes. Asked for a charging credit for compensation and they said no. Note: I received a text earlier in the day that this station was back on line after an upgrade. Checked availability on the EA app before committing to using it.
Curious, were you doing Plug & Charge or activating the station via the EA app (or tap to activate)?

OP
OP
Digitalsteve

Digitalsteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Curious, were you doing Plug & Charge or activating the station via the EA app (or tap to activate)?
Activating via the EA app. Plug into car, then on the phone (android) slide button to activate.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Activating via the EA app. Plug into car, then on the phone (android) slide button to activate.
Thanks, that is interesting.

I usually plug in, then tap my phone to the NFC area (I have my EA membership card stored in the Apple Wallet). I usually only swipe to activate in the EA app if the NFC tap is not working. But either way you would think it would work.

OP
OP
Digitalsteve

Digitalsteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks, that is interesting.

I usually plug in, then tap my phone to the NFC area (I have my EA membership card stored in the Apple Wallet). I usually only swipe to activate in the EA app if the NFC tap is not working. But either way you would think it would work.
Yea, worked fine on the 150 stall, they must have screwed up something on the 350 stalls during the upgrade. Hope they fix it before my next trip from Ventura to San Jose.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Likely it is just a software issue since they were recently upgraded. Hopefully they opened a ticket and will investigate. BTW, they 350 kW, not 350 amp.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Yea, worked fine on the 150 stall, they must have screwed up something on the 350 stalls during the upgrade. Hope they fix it before my next trip from Ventura to San Jose.
Why? You can't get more than 150kwh on the Mach-E

OP
OP
Digitalsteve

Digitalsteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yea, I should know that it's KW, but didn't get much sleep last night, got home late. BTW We charged at Soledad, CA on Tuesday (as we have many times) and were surprised to see only one charger working. So I then checked the EA app and it showed there was no station there (but did show under coming soon.) We did not see any indication of any being done so I guess we were lucky one charger was still working. I guess we will need to check app before each trip, even though we travel the same route often.

OP
OP
Digitalsteve

Digitalsteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
But you can still use the 350kw stall...always worked before...that would really suck if Mach-e's could only use 150KW stalls. This station had 3 - 350KW and 1 - 150kw stalls. Imagine waiting in a line for the only 150kw, while the 350kw's are all empty.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Because so many EA chargers are broken... losing a few more is bad?
I missed the part that this was the upgraded stations and there's only 1 150kw now, but yes, that's correct.

OP
OP
Digitalsteve

Digitalsteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well, I meant, he shouldn't be worried about the 350 not working in his case. He should have tried the 150 first and he wouldn't have had an issue is more my point.
So I should look at each stall to see which ones are 350kw (all stalls were empty and the 150 was off to the side, away from the other 3)? Since the 3 that were together were all 350kw, I thought that was the new standard. The single 150kw one was off to the side of the parking area and also had a connector for the Leaf.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So I should look at each stall to see which ones are 350kw (all stalls were empty and the 150 was off to the side, away from the other 3)? Since the 3 that were together were all 350kw, I thought that was the new standard. The single 150kw one was off to the side of the parking area and also had a connector for the Leaf.
See my post above

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
At the locations with the newest equipment, there are 3 350 kW stalls and the only 150 kW stall is the one with CHAdeMO. I used to leave the 350s for the 800v cars but at the new sites, I will go with a 350 and leave the 150. That leaves the CHAdeMO open and that is also usually the oldest, most unreliable equipment.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
At the locations with the newest equipment, there are 3 350 kW stalls and the only 150 kW stall is the one with CHAdeMO. I used to leave the 350s for the 800v cars but at the new sites, I will go with a 350 and leave the 150. That leaves the CHAdeMO open and that is also usually the oldest, most unreliable equipment.
yes, I missed this was the newer stations
Sponsored