One pedal drive involves using actual brake calipers?

Jcastaldo1740

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
In one pedal drive, does the car use any brake? (Other than emergency braking or holding at a stop)

I only drive in one pedal drive and I have so much brake dust on the front wheels that it looks a different color than the rear wheels. And I rarely ever touch the brake pedal.
Sponsored

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
One Pedal Drive uses regen braking until it needs to completely stop. Then it applied mechanical brakes. For fast braking you will need to use the brake pedal. For moderate and casual braking only One Pedal is needed.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Wash the car?

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
or moderate and casual braking only One Pedal is needed.
I would not even consider One Pedal to be used for moderate braking. It will slow you down over a decent distance and as you get to like 20mph the braking gets to be a little more noticeable. You can 100% use 1PB for situations that are easily planned for long as you are paying attention. Rolling up to stop lights/signs, cars that are slowing down ahead of you, reduction in speed limit ect ect. However anything unexpected, or if you are not paying attention the 1PD is not enough to get you to stop which is a situation that I would see as being moderate braking. I typical drive in engaded or unbridled which if I'm not mistaken has a higher regen braking. I've never really played around with whisper to see if its braking is different.

I personally love playing the game of doing 65mph and rolling up to a metered on ramp and get my car to stop right on the line lol Let me tell you, my foot comes off the brake a GOOOOD distance from that line.

I think macchiaz-o summed it up pretty well.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
In one pedal drive, does the car use any brake? (Other than emergency braking or holding at a stop)

I only drive in one pedal drive and I have so much brake dust on the front wheels that it looks a different color than the rear wheels. And I rarely ever touch the brake pedal.
If you are in Engage mode then you can see about when the friction brakes take over. When the brake coach meter appears, regen has ceased and friction brakes complete the stop.

It isn't practical to use the electric motor(s) to bring the vehicle to a complete stop.

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
If you are in Engage mode then you can see about when the friction brakes take over. When the brake coach meter appears, regen has ceased and friction brakes complete the stop.

It isn't practical to use the electric motor(s) to bring the vehicle to a complete stop.
This is excellent advice. One pedal drive certainly blends in friction brakes at some higher speeds a lot more than people seem to think. And they passionately fight tooth and nail that it doesn’t when the fact remains that it does. Doing as you suggest will show any reasonably hard deceleration does blend in a small fraction of the friction brakes.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
This is excellent advice. One pedal drive certainly blends in friction brakes at some higher speeds a lot more than people seem to think. And they passionately fight tooth and nail that it doesn’t when the fact remains that it does. Doing as you suggest will show any reasonably hard deceleration does blend in a small fraction of the friction brakes.
Agree. Keep in mind the Ford system only displays the last recorded braking event. So, if you decelerate briefly and then coast or accelerate slightly then the system resets.

So, in 1PD.....if you lift completely off the accelerator and rapidly decelerate and then realize you are going to stop shorter then desired so you accelerate briefly. The system resets so your score only reflects the last full braking event.

At least this is how the Focus Electric and Energi models worked. The Mach-E seems to operate the same way

skiingj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
I personally love playing the game of doing 65mph and rolling up to a metered on ramp and get my car to stop right on the line lol Let me tell you, my foot comes off the brake a GOOOOD distance from that line.
Funny, me too. My CAV decals are in the mail so I'll not be playing that game much longer. lol

skiingj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
I can drive miles then 1PB stop and its tell me 80%+ regen. How is that? Maybe I don't understand it.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I can drive miles then 1PB stop and its tell me 80%+ regen. How is that? Maybe I don't understand it.
From how I understand it.

Say there is 100' from a stop light. You let your foot off at the 100' mark and the car slows down all the way to 0' and stops. That would net you a 100% from the brake coach. If you let off at 100' mark and you applied the brake it would count against you on the end percentage. I believe if you also give a little acceleration it counts against you as well.

I had the coach on for the first few weeks. I turned it off once I was hitting 100% on every single stop I did. It takes a bit to get used too, but I've gotten pretty good at going from accelerating at speed to off the accelerator and using nothing but the regen braking.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
It takes a certain amount of energy to bring a vehicle to a stop from a given speed. The EV drivetrain is able to recover a certain percentage of that energy which varies depending on a bunch of factors such as motor and battery size, inverter, cabling etc. Used to be about 40% but technology has improved and some systems are approaching 70%.

At any rate, your car calculates how much energy it was able to harness for a given stop and compare it to how much energy you actually captured. Any score less than 100% means the friction brakes were blended in at some point during the braking event vs solely at the end.

Try decelerating sooner and more gently. With practice most drivers should see 100% most every time. I can't remember the last time I saw a score less than 100%. It was last week sometime.....I just don't remember the specifics. ??

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
From how I understand it.

Say there is 100' from a stop light. You let your foot off at the 100' mark and the car slows down all the way to 0' and stops. That would net you a 100% from the brake coach. If you let off at 100' mark and you applied the brake it would count against you on the end percentage. I believe if you also give a little acceleration it counts against you as well.

I had the coach on for the first few weeks. I turned it off once I was hitting 100% on every single stop I did. It takes a bit to get used too, but I've gotten pretty good at going from accelerating at speed to off the accelerator and using nothing but the regen braking.
Pretty close.
There are some conditions where the car will blend in the friction brakes in 1PD so lifting off the accelerator gently will almost always avoid that.
Depressing the brake pedal can increase the regerative effect with out blending in the friction brakes. Just depends on how aggressively the brake pedal is applied.

Accelerating appears to reset the brake coach score. I haven't verified this but I am pretty sure that is the case.
Sponsored