Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I am curious. Did you get your VIN via email from from Ford or from your dealer?
My dealer (and an anonymous little birdie)
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I was told that vin numbers are not available until the car reaches the build date. It is sometime during the build date that dealers receive actual vin numbers.
Nope. It’s common for dealers to provide it so customers can track the progress.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I guess I am late to the party - what good is having the VIN, other than the lame preconfiguration app?

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
@ChasingCoral Can you still pull up the window sticker with the VIN? Always thought it was cool to have since it has/had your last name on it (got it when I ordered a 2008 Escape hybrid.)

Nope. It’s common for dealers to provide it so customers can track the progress.

janitorjim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150 2001, explorer xlt 2013
Country flag
Just some advice from a stranger. Do this for yourself, not for Ford. Don't put yourself in a financial bind by buying a brand new car.

If making the purchase in 2020 vs 2021 is a big difference due to the $7500 credit, is there any possibility that you can also qualify for the full $7500 based on your expected income for next year?

If yes, highly likely, then you might consider adjusting your tax withholdings at the beginning of 2021 so that you're effectively withholding the additional $7500 rather than waiting until 2022 to get it credited back.
I was going to wait till the MAch E 2.0 would come out in a few years but realized that I have a garage keep 2013 explorer with under 50k miles that would be good for a trade in (to lazy to sell it myself) and the $7500 tax credit. Didn't know the high demand and really didn't think about the issues with covid when I walked in the dealer to order it (after many failed attempts to order online). After having a vet bills for a cat that had kidney failure and helping a friend with bills because of COVID layoff I am glad to wait for next year

janitorjim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150 2001, explorer xlt 2013
Country flag
I think from ford website but have never done it myself
My Ford Vehicles

Add a Vehicle

Enter a VIN

By adding your VIN we'll identify your vehicle and customize information just for you

bullshark

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E select AWD
Country flag
I was told that vin numbers are not available until the car reaches the build date. It is sometime during the build date that dealers receive actual vin numbers.
Thought so, maybe my dealer was just too lazy to check for me. Anyways, add the VIN to myford pass, and it works.

JDRGolfer1

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Country flag
I was told this same thing and questioned them on it. What dealership are you using? Wondering if it's the same because you're the only other person I've heard being told this besides myself.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
You copy the vin to this page and then hit refresh every 5 minutes to be absolutely sure that nothing changed since five minutes earlier. It's taken me most of today to confirm nothing has changed since yesterday.

https://shop.ford.com/vehicleordertracking#/
Interesting, when I plug my VIN in there it says my order is still just "confirmed" (even though I have a build date) and the order # shown (4272) is different from any number on my order I've seen before.

Oh and if I plug my VIN into the window sticker URL it errors out with "the window sticker hasn't been released yet" or some such thing.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
You copy the vin to this page and then hit refresh every 5 minutes to be absolutely sure that nothing changed since five minutes earlier. It's taken me most of today to confirm nothing has changed since yesterday.

https://shop.ford.com/vehicleordertracking#/

Ford Mustang Mach-E Order Scheduled for Production Date 1603607007715
Thanks! I was wondering what I was going to do with my "not refreshing the 'What's new' button" time.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Interesting, when I plug my VIN in there it says my order is still just "confirmed" (even though I have a build date) and the order # shown (4272) is different from any number on my order I've seen before.
My order number on that page is in the high 5k area. I assumed it was something generated by the dealer but I've no idea.

I have a build date from the Ford email and confirmed by my dealer, but like yours, also not in this system.

I'm thinking we're dealing with lots of old mainframes here, each batch processing on different nights of the week, with layers and layers of late 90s proprietary Windows and Unix services, and then layers of firewalls, gateways, stale databases, and application servers with cute names like FredLogic, FordSphere, and TomsDog. Then finally someone exposed that data to us customers and called it Web 2.0.

So within a week we should see consistency across the various web sites. (Just my speculation!)
Sponsored