Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
Tried to capture the amount of sun getting through
Front seat is the sun through the windshield, back is through the roof.

PXL_20210806_163219971.jpg

16282677188425537841543411537390.jpg

PXL_20210806_162919477.jpg
Fixed, fully manual exposures at the same f-stop and speed, or auto exposure? What camera?

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
Don’t ask why a 51 year old man knows this… but, it’s easier to get shoe marks off the glass roof than the headliner. ???
Spike heels may not punch through the headliner, but will they crack the glass?

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag

vinny2487

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E CA Route 1 (Star White)
Country flag
I love the pano roof. I've had my car for two weeks and the sun/heat hasn't bothered me one bit (hello from SoCal). In fact the front windows let in more heat than the roof. The main reason I like the pano roof is that it makes the interior feel larger, more open. I test drove the Select and that interior felt a lot more cramped.

That said, I do wish Ford included a cover like the one in the VW ID.4. I just want the option to close it if I ever feel like it.

GT40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fairlane
Country flag
Has anyone tried an inside heat blocker film, or an exterior vinyl wrap?

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Has anyone tried an inside heat blocker film, or an exterior vinyl wrap?
Ford has put some sort of coating on the panoramic roof that stops heat transmission. Unless someone has an extreme sensitivity to sunlight, there shouldn’t be a need to put additional material on it. As several other people that have a car with this roof have already stated, far more light and heat come in through the front windows and windshield than through the glass roof. Mine hasn’t bothered me at all, not even on sunny days with temps in the mid 90’s.

Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium X-R Batt RWD Carbonized Gray
Country flag
We live in SE Florida, and I really don't notice it when driving. I do like the extra light it lets in. People riding in the back seat have mentioned they like it!

I know there is a coating on the glass to keep the heat down, but if you touch that glass on a really sunny day, it is HOT!

IMHO, the positives outweigh the negatives.

Jim

RW Journey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford MME FE
Country flag
This is a great point that I'm surprised no one else has mentioned. Totally agree about this.
Water spots on the outside and fingerprints on the inside....some of us might disagree ?

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Coming in late so I didn't read all the replies, but I know people say it's for whoever is sitting in the back seat but that's not true. Any sunroof will make the entire car brighter and less like a cave. Even the standard size sunroof on my fusion makes a big difference to how bright it is in the car when it's open, even if you're in the front seat.

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
If you like sunlight on your head while driving, you should go for it. I prefer shade inside a car. People say the heat from the glass roof is not bad, so for me the sunlight would be the big annoyance.
It is actually very well designed. Whatever coating they are using manage to block out what you don't want while preserving visibility. I am very impressed how the car does not overheat in the sun.

Rapid Ed

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius
Country flag
I don't have the car yet, can anyone tell me if the pano roof offers UV protection/enough UV protection? I guess that would be my main concern if I were sitting in the back on a bright day.

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
Water spots on the outside and fingerprints on the inside....some of us might disagree ?
I'm in SoCal (little to no rain) and the car is garaged, so water spots aren't on my radar - but wouldn't they be there on a painted roof as well? I like that there is no waxing/ceramic/detailing needed. Just clean it. I go over the car with detail spray once a week and don't need to do the roof. Also, if you happen to miss some bird droppings, the glass won't get damaged like paint can.

Fingerprints could be an issue if you have kids, I guess. I don't think I've ever touched mine from the inside, but then again, no back seat passengers.

Plusses and minuses to both!

Reactions: RSH

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I don't have the car yet, can anyone tell me if the pano roof offers UV protection/enough UV protection? I guess that would be my main concern if I were sitting in the back on a bright day.
People have reported IR rejection. Not sure if there is UV as well, since they’re at opposite ends of the spectrum.

RW Journey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford MME FE
Country flag
I'm in SoCal (little to no rain) and the car is garaged, so water spots aren't on my radar - but wouldn't they be there on a painted roof as well? I like that there is no waxing/ceramic/detailing needed. Just clean it. I go over the car with detail spray once a week and don't need to do the roof. Also, if you happen to miss some bird droppings, the glass won't get damaged like paint can.

Fingerprints could be an issue if you have kids, I guess. I don't think I've ever touched mine from the inside, but then again, no back seat passengers.

Plusses and minuses to both!
They would be there on a metal roof but nobody would see them from inside the car. Kids arms aren't typically long enough...it's the "mature" teens and adults some of us have to contend with.

Mine is also garaged but I believe cars are meant to be driven (rain, snow or shine).

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
Mine is also garaged but I believe cars are meant to be driven (rain, snow or shine).
Totally agree, I drive my Mach-E everywhere I go. ;)
Enjoy your ride!
Sponsored