Post here if you have an active FDRS account and are willing to look up info for others

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Country flag
Hey Mike...

Happy New Year!

After 35+ days trying of the dealer to fix my car, they say it's "fixed."

I hate to ask if you can check the current status and see what they did before I pickup/accept.

3FMTK3SU0MMA05951

Many thanks!

Mike
Did they replace your APIM? If so, they did not do the PMI correctly. When FDRS asked if it was the original module, they selected yes.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
Did they replace your APIM? If so, they did not do the PMI correctly. When FDRS asked if it was the original module, they selected yes.
@noflipping
Nope all they did was the powertrain....probably the 23B50 was signed off.

You still have all these left...
Ford Mustang Mach-E Post here if you have an active FDRS account and are willing to look up info for others 3FMTK3SU0MMA05951-4-Jan-24

noflipping

First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e Premium 4X, Focus Electric
Country flag
Hey Mike... Message from them says they did replace APIM. Is that not true?
Only thing else I can see that they indicate is that "Sync level" is at "4.0.23031 / CC 42 BN 14G371" whatever the second part means...

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Country flag
Only thing else I can see that they indicate is that "Sync level" is at "4.0.23031 / CC 42 BN 14G371" whatever the second part means...
That is the SYNC version I saw in PTS.

They say they did. What is PMI reference?
Short version: PMI is a procedure done to ensure the module has properly configured software based on the state of software of the rest of the module network. By telling FDRS that the module was the original, FDRS loaded the original as built data onto the new module. They should have selected no when asked if the module was the original one. The fact that they selected yes doesn't necessarily mean there is a config issue now, but they didn't do the procedure right. I have no way of knowing whether there is a config issue now or not as it goes beyond my scope of knowledge. I would need a pic of your "about sync" screen so I can ask a second set of eyes to look, but you don't have your car to get that info.

noflipping

First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Short version: PMI is a procedure done to ensure the module has properly configured software based on the state of software of the rest of the module network. By telling FDRS that the module was the original, FDRS loaded the original as built data onto the new module. They should have selected no when asked if the module was the original one. The fact that they selected yes doesn't necessarily mean there is a config issue now, but they didn't do the procedure right. I have no way of knowing whether there is a config issue now or not as it goes beyond my scope of knowledge. I would need a pic of your "about sync" screen so I can ask a second set of eyes to look, but you don't have your car to get that info.
Thanks for info. If as you suspect they did it wrong, is it something they can redo and say "no' this time to correct? Or did the f'up the new APIM?

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Country flag
Thanks for info. If as you suspect they did it wrong, is it something they can redo and say "no' this time to correct? Or did the f'up the new APIM?
Yes, but good luck calling your dealer and telling them someone from the internet said they didn't do their job right and they have to do it again. Lol

noflipping

First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, but good luck calling your dealer and telling them someone from the internet said they didn't do their job right and they have to do it again. Lol
For sure. Just like the last 15 months of them trying to figure this out.

njb

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red 2023 GT
Country flag
As you can see from @rugedraw 's response above you have a list of updates...the ones that would be addressed by 23B50 are the set of powertrain updates in that list. So yes the CSP 23B50 would still apply to your case.

Powertrain updates are the PCM, BECM, SOBDM, SOBDMB (AWD only), SOBDMC, and if there is an ABS update at that time then that's included as well. Now...there are times when only a subset of these need to be updated and not all of them show up as needing an update in FDRS (or as an OTA). But generally speaking they usually all get updated at the same time.
Thanks @Mike G and @rugedraw for the information. Very frustrating that I have all the updates except for the one I really need. I got 6.3 on 12/12 and then 6/7 on the 14th. DC-CHG3 on the 20th and then 6.13 on the 20th. I thought maybe they went in order so they slipped 6.6 in there and I just didn't get a screen shot but I guess not.

noflipping

First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Is this why they wouldn't have seen the other updates that Mike listed as being available? Owing to the deprecated state of the APIM as built data? Just not sure why they said they everything was up to date.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Country flag
Thanks @Mike G and @rugedraw for the information. Very frustrating that I have all the updates except for the one I really need. I got 6.3 on 12/12 and then 6/7 on the 14th. DC-CHG3 on the 20th and then 6.13 on the 20th. I thought maybe they went in order so they slipped 6.6 in there and I just didn't get a screen shot but I guess not.
I do not see 6.6.0 in your OTA history.

Is this why they wouldn't have seen the other updates that Mike listed as being available? Owing to the deprecated state of the APIM as built data? Just not sure why they said they everything was up to date.
No, they said everything else was up to date because they don't get paid to update modules and they figured you wouldn't know any better. Their FDRS is the same as ours. It is Ford's responsibility to update your car; not your dealer's.

I'd like to reiterate that there may be nothing wrong with the way they PMI'd the APIM and it could be fine as it is. I'm not trying to fear monger here; just pointed out they didn't do it correctly.

noflipping

First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, they said everything else was up to date because they don't get paid to update modules and they figured you wouldn't know any better. Their FDRS is the same as ours. It is Ford's responsibility to update your car; not your dealer's.

I'd like to reiterate that there may be nothing wrong with the way they PMI'd the APIM and it could be fine as it is. I'm not trying to fear monger here; just pointed out they didn't do it correctly.
Would the APIM procedure not being done correctly preclude the car from being properly updated OTA? My concern is this is what happened when the replaced the APIM nearly a year ago and the updates never worked properly after that.

Last edited:

noflipping

First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
" It is Ford's responsibility to update your car; not your dealer's."

Does not seem that this still be true if the car was in for repair explicitly to fix the car's inability to update itself OTA and it's being repaired under warrantee.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Country flag
Does not seem that this still be true if the car was in for repair explicitly to fix the car's inability to update itself OTA and it's being repaired under warrantee.

Yes, but the other modules they did not update do not fall under the scope of fixing the cars inability to receive updates.

Would the APIM procedure not being done correctly preclude the car from being properly updated OTA? My concern is this is what happened when the replaced the APIM nearly a year ago and the updates never worked properly after that.
Abso-flippin'-lutely this would prevent successful OTA's.

I took another look at vehicle history and Mike's list of pending updates.The dealer also updated your GWM and TCU yesterday after they installed the new APIM. Your list of pending updates does not include any APIM, GWM or TCU update and you are not on the latest Sync version. IMO: No bueno.

Ask to speak to the service manager. NOT your service advisor. Lie and tell him you have a friend who is a lead tech at a Ford store in another state who looked at the scope of work done to your car, and your friend is concerned that the PMI was not done correctly. Tell him your friend said he looked up vehicle history and told you that when the PMI was done to the new module, they tech did not select "no" when FDRS asked if the module was the original module and that your friend is concerned about configuration issues on your APIM. If you go in there saying someone from the internet said blah blah blah, you will not get anywhere. If they go in there and know what to look for, they will that a Ford employee that does not work for them looked at your car and the story will line up. I have done this before for owners on the ICE forums and it worked. If your APIM is properly configured, a proper PMI will not harm it. If it is not properly configured, this will save you from future headaches.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Post here if you have an active FDRS account and are willing to look up info for others 1704420759411

Good luck.
Sponsored