Post here if you have an active FDRS account and are willing to look up info for others

noflipping

First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e Premium 4X, Focus Electric
Country flag
I do not see 6.6.0 in your OTA history.

No, they said everything else was up to date because they don't get paid to update modules and they figured you wouldn't know any better. Their FDRS is the same as ours. It is Ford's responsibility to update your car; not your dealer's.

I'd like to reiterate that there may be nothing wrong with the way they PMI'd the APIM and it could be fine as it is. I'm not trying to fear monger here; just pointed out they didn't do it correctly.
Does not seem that this still be true if the car was in for repair explicitly to fix the car's inability to update itself OTA and it's being repaired under warrantee.

Yes, but the other modules they did not update do not fall under the scope of fixing the cars inability to receive updates.

Abso-flippin'-lutely this would prevent successful OTA's.

I took another look at vehicle history and Mike's list of pending updates.The dealer also updated your GWM and TCU yesterday after they installed the new APIM. Your list of pending updates does not include any APIM, GWM or TCU update and you are not on the latest Sync version. IMO: No bueno.

Ask to speak to the service manager. NOT your service advisor. Lie and tell him you have a friend who is a lead tech at a Ford store in another state who looked at the scope of work done to your car, and your friend is concerned that the PMI was not done correctly. Tell him your friend said he looked up vehicle history and told you that when the PMI was done to the new module, they tech did not select "no" when FDRS asked if the module was the original module and that your friend is concerned about configuration issues on your APIM. If you go in there saying someone from the internet said blah blah blah, you will not get anywhere. If they go in there and know what to look for, they will that a Ford employee that does not work for them looked at your car and the story will line up. I have done this before for owners on the ICE forums and it worked. If your APIM is properly configured, a proper PMI will not harm it. If it is not properly configured, this will save you from future headaches.

1704420759411.png

Good luck.
Awesome.Thanks for info.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Country flag
BTW - What is the latest Sync version? Is it newer than "4.0.23031"? That is what I was told is currently loaded. What should I see when I get in the car on screen?
Accoridng to GSB 23-7146 that was sent to all Ford dealers on 10/26, the latest Sync for a 2021 MME is 23237. However, my fully updated 2021 F150 is at Sync 23291 even though the pdf says 23167, so I am not sure what the latest is for your car. I'm still learning about the MME's every day.

Attachments

avdonr

First Name
Avdon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT PE
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Accoridng to GSB 23-7146 that was sent to all Ford dealers on 10/26, the latest Sync for a 2021 MME is 23237. However, my fully updated 2021 F150 is at Sync 23291 even though the pdf says 23167, so I am not sure what the latest is for your car. I'm still learning about the MME's every day.
Those versions listed in that document are not accurate. All MY should be on the same level once they are fully updated. List is outdated at this point.

I have a 2021 and I am on the same revision as the others (SYNC4 v4.0.23291 - PU5T-14G682-EL).

Last edited:

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Country flag
Those versions listed in that document are not accurate. All MY should be on the same level once they are fully updated. List is outdated at this point.

I have a 2021 and I am on the same revision as the others (SYNC4 v4.0.23291 - PU5T-14G682-EL).
The doc is dated 11/30, so no argument here. My 2021 F150 is on the same sync as your car and the doc is inaccurate for my vehicle, as well. As I mentioned, I'm still learning about the MME.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
Hey Mike... Message from them says they did replace APIM. Is that not true?
They requested a repair authorization code on the 27th and then it did get replaced on Jan 3rd.

So yes, they did.

But you don't have any GWM, APIM, or TCU updates in your list this morning and you're still on a very old version of Sync by the looks of it...like way before the new Sync UI came out. So it's as if you had just gotten OTA 3.2.0 from back in August of 22 (software rev. MU5T-14G682-TL).

So the problem is still not solved.

Check your About Sync screen and let me know what the version is. I'm on Sync 1058 and I believe the latest for your car is Sync 1049.

Last edited:

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag

I'm on -EM. Which is Sync 1058.

Whenever they post that updated list...around 24hrs later a new APIM update shows up.

Mark Hassa

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Rapid Red Mach E Awd SR
Occupation
Food Inspector
Country flag
Mark, no problem.

Here's the list you have available:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Post here if you have an active FDRS account and are willing to look up info for others Sync4_4-Jan-24

So it's a full set of powertrain updates, a frunk module update (GFM), the steering column update (BC related), and the TCU that didn't want to update due to a "part number validation error":
Ford Mustang Mach-E Post here if you have an active FDRS account and are willing to look up info for others Sync4_4-Jan-24

The last time I personally had a "part number validation" error it was caused by software dependencies. Meaning I was trying to update a module when another module needed to be updated first. It is entirely possible, given how long ago that SCCM update came out, that it's the culprit. And that doing the SCCM would then allow the TCU to be updated successfully. But I'm out on a limb at this point. Anyway, If I were doing this I'd either start with the SCCM or just do the powertrain updates first...and then go back to the TCU to see if it would update. (Also could be possible that after the SCCM gets updated that another GWM might pop up right after...so there's that too).
Good Morning Mike.
Got a surprise this morning to see 6.3 come OTA after the dealer tried to update the TCU and failed due to a ‘part number validation’ error. Interesting that the OTA version was able to overcome this dependency issue. Here’s to hoping I’m back on track and the SCCM is next.
Thanks, Mark

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Country flag
They requested a repair authorization code on the 27th and then it did get replaced on Jan 3rd.

So yes, they did.

But you don't have any GWM, APIM, or TCU updates in your list this morning and you're still on a very old version of Sync by the looks of it...like way before the new Sync UI came out. So it's as if you had just gotten OTA 3.2.0 from back in August of 22 (software rev. MU5T-14G682-TL).

So the problem is still not solved.

Check your About Sync screen and let me know what the version is. I'm on Sync 1058 and I believe the latest for your car is Sync 1049.
He's on Sync 23031 as of 1/3/2024. PTS does not show me the rev version. The last successful APIM OTA in his history is 22-PU0707-SCH-POPB on 6.28. Since then, he was sent 3.5.3 and it failed several times and 4.2.2 also failed several times. I don't think his APIM should be at such a high Sync version yet, but he did get two successful GWM OTA's (3.5.3.3 and 4.2.1) and two TCU updates (3.5.4 and 3.5.4.2) in between the failed APIM attempts. Plus the dealer did one GWM and TCU update the day they replaced the APIM. I don't know these cars well enough to know if his APIM is ready to be on Sync 23031 or not based on this info, but wanted to share it with you in case you can provide more insight based on this info.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Post here if you have an active FDRS account and are willing to look up info for others 1704478999896

Hopefully he can get the dealer to PMI it correctly and eliminate any doubt.

PianoDan0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
That TSB has been superseded by the later TSB 22-2404 but essentially that is what we're talking about.
Got an update from the dealer today who tried to run TSB-2404 and they said it reported that it was not applicable to the vehicle. I'm guessing they are getting "This vehicle does not qualify for Module Update Repair. The TSB does not apply to this vehicle concern."
They said they know something is wrong, they just haven't figured out what yet and need to keep the car to do more diagnosing.

Does this mean the APIM has been updated successfully at some point? And why wouldn't I be getting any updates if so?

Other than replacing the APIM, anything else they can do?

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Country flag
Got an update from the dealer today who tried to run TSB-2404 and they said it reported that it was not applicable to the vehicle. I'm guessing they are getting "This vehicle does not qualify for Module Update Repair. The TSB does not apply to this vehicle concern."
They said they know something is wrong, they just haven't figured out what yet and need to keep the car to do more diagnosing.

Does this mean the APIM has been updated successfully at some point? And why wouldn't I be getting any updates if so?

Other than replacing the APIM, anything else they can do?
I see the same error and I see the two failed attempts. If I were you, I would be patient and let them do their thing as long as it may take. I have been following these types of issues for a while and the most difficult part of the process is getting a dealer to acknowledge there is an issue and commit to putting in the work required to fix it. IMO? You have half the battle won already.

They will most likely need to get engineering involved and go through the motions and will most likely end up replacing your APIM. Replacing the APIM is usually the path of least resistance.

PianoDan0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I see the same error and I see the two failed attempts. If I were you, I would be patient and let them do their thing as long as it may take. I have been following these types of issues for a while and the most difficult part of the process is getting a dealer to acknowledge there is an issue and commit to putting in the work required to fix it. IMO? You have half the battle won already.

They will most likely need to get engineering involved and go through the motions and will most likely end up replacing your APIM. Replacing the APIM is usually the path of least resistance.
Yeah, it's encouraging to hear them say they know there's something wrong but a little discouraging that it's not known what's wrong yet. Just seems to be an odd/unique situation so I'm hoping it's not a super complicated issue that takes a really long time to fix. Seems like replacing APIM is the "logical" thing to do at this point, but who knows what other troubleshooting protocols they have to go through to get to that point.

Depending how long it is going to take I may have to try to request a loaner. I can probably get by for a few days without a car, but at some point I'll need one.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Country flag
Yeah, it's encouraging to hear them say they know there's something wrong but a little discouraging that it's not known what's wrong yet. Just seems to be an odd/unique situation so I'm hoping it's not a super complicated issue that takes a really long time to fix. Seems like replacing APIM is the "logical" thing to do at this point, but who knows what other troubleshooting protocols they have to go through to get to that point.

Depending how long it is going to take I may have to try to request a loaner. I can probably get by for a few days without a car, but at some point I'll need one.
I know you are new to all this stuff, but remember these are mechanics and not software engineers. They can only do what FDRS allows them to do. If FDRS fails, all they can do is wait on engineering to tell them what to do next.

PianoDan0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I know you are new to all this stuff, but remember these are mechanics and not software engineers. They can only do what FDRS allows them to do. If FDRS fails, all they can do is wait on engineering to tell them what to do next.
Yeah, understood. As an engineer myself, I wish I could just go in and help them in any way possible! Plus, I just want to fix it sooner rather than later so I can drive my car again.

Side question: do you need an active FDRS account to look up status in FDRS? For the future, I'm thinking about buying all the necessary equipment to perform updates myself. If I get the 2 day license can I still check on status of stuff once those 2 days expire?
Sponsored