Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Can’t believe no one figured out how to keep them on. Imagine driving at night with two ponies running along side you.
@markboris posted about his mod to increase the number of circumstances where the puddle ponies light up, but he said it was a PITA mod and he didn't really recommend doing it.
Sponsored

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Tesla Model 3 Perf, '22 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
Very hit and miss with mine.. I have never figured out why, but as luck would have it, the fail mostly when I have someone else along who has never seen them!
I ran into this same issue when I first took delivery of my MME and posted here on this forum about it back in July or August of 2022.

IMO, there are two main factors that affect whether or not the "magical ponies" come out:

1) Because the ponies come on when you approach the car, it is important for the MME to be fully disconnected to any key fobs or cell phones. When we first got the car, my wife placed her iPhone near the front door, close enough to the MME parked right outside that the car never sensed that she walked away. So make sure your cell phone with Ford Pass is far away from the car. As for your key fobs, either make sure they are also far away from the car or put them in a Faraday box to block the RFID signals.

2) I found that the ponies will not turn on if the car is in a deeper sleep mode. If I drove the MME on a daily basis, then the ponies turned on pretty consistently. But if I went a day or two without driving the MME, the ponies would not turn on when I approached the car.

Hope this info helps you see the magical ponies,
Joe

hbund216

First Name
Arv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Accord, and Mach-e
Country flag
I never understood why they don't work if the mirrors are not folded.

squirrels2nuts

First Name
squirrelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE
Occupation
Pharmacy
Country flag
the first time i saw mine was a while after i got the car, and i was like WTF IS THIS?! lol
good feature.
to answer a prev question, i think they only light up with the windows tucked in bc that's how they project

billy_at

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
I mean, they are really cool.

When I was buying the MME, I saw an item on the product sheet that said "Pony projection lamps." I asked the dealer what it was, and he couldn't tell me. I only realized what it meant the first time I walked up to the car after dark. 🤣

They used to be very unpredictable, but after a routine software update from the dealer, they seem to always come on. If they're only working intermittently, check if you need any updates.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
The logic for when they come on is stupidly complicated and or buggy... sometimes they come on, sometimes they don't.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag
I gotta say....I love them too! Makes me happy every time I approach the car. Sometimes I'm on my cell and walk into the garage to toss something in the trash or whatever...they turn on and make me smile.
I’m with you.

Whilst I see no REAL practical point to them whatsoever when I see them I just grin stupidly at them finding they are the best thing about the car🤷🏼‍♂️

However, the lenses have now deteriorated with new ones on order under warranty, until then I have the added diamond studded effect………….

IMG_0243.jpeg

Electrifiedsince2013

First Name
Kristin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang MachE, 2020 Mustang Convertible
Occupation
health care
Country flag
$70,000 car, and the thing in my wife is most impressed with is the puddle lights.
These are also on an ICE mustang, my 2020 convertible has them. I was surprised when I got that car. But by the time I got Mario d’Cario I was expecting it. Note: the Mach E has stripes and the ICE mustang is plain.
FYI: it makes me smile whenever I approach my car at night. It’s the little things, right?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Why can’t we have nice things!
You can.

Just have to buy the Chinese parts. Not sure if anyone has done it yet.

I also think there’s an aftermarket option but can’t find it in a search at the moment.