DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Honestly this is why the range display itself is useless. I wish we had the ability to turn it off altogether and just see the % alone.
That's not a bad idea. Even I get startled when driving into the mountains until I remember that what I lose on the way up I will (mostly) recover on the way down.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yup. After seeing how much people are freaking out about the range displayed on the GOM, I completely understand why Tesla just shows the EPA rated range instead. It’s an easy way to keep people happy since so many seem to care more about what’s displayed than how many miles can actually be driven.
Most definitely. The concept of underpromise/overdeliver is too abstract.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Should be an easy way to test. Plug it in and charge it. Then precondition the MME and take it out for a drive without the heater. Bring it back, charge it, and then check the efficiency numbers (I'm assuming you can do this).
You don't have to do that; just looking at the mi/kwh during the trip is good enough; just multiply by 88kwh to get the true range on the trip.

BTW, how does the RWD handle in the snow and ice?
Definitely would like to know this as a fellow RT1 buyer-to-be!

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Most definitely. The concept of underpromise/overdeliver is too abstract.
I do not fine the display too far off if he is blasting the heat from the vents. 160 miles at -10F is about right. Accurate would be the best for me.

Blinkin

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 FoST
Country flag
Honestly this is why the range display itself is useless. I wish we had the ability to turn it off altogether and just see the % alone.
I think the display is useful because it's a decent guess, but people are unfamiliar with the tech. Yes, -10 will SEVERELY limit your range, and there's no EV in the world that wouldn't apply to, it's just the nature of Li Ion batteries. Further, the GOM is an algorithm that needs data input to produce output. Limited data input (which would happen when the car is very new) will create iffy output. Again, that's just the nature of algoriths... garbage in, garbage out.

We're getting brand new EV cars delivered in the winter time (and an unseasonal cold snap at that in much of the Midwest and Northeast parts of the USA and Canada). It would be weird if the range estimates WEREN'T wonky under the circumstances.

TrikinCurt

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
I do not fine the display too far off if he is blasting the heat from the vents. 160 miles at -10F is about right. Accurate would be the best for me.
I just did a freeway drive in -12 to -14 (Wisconsin). I have had EV in the past so expected range issues. Unfortunately the EA wasn't working so it became a bit close! Range listed was terrible and spot on. 60% of battery got me about 65 miles. I got home at ZERO, actually has a warning battery was depleted on my road but got it parked and charged back up just fine.

Even colder today! No more road trips.

And whoever said to turn the heat off clearly doesn't drive in -10 :)

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Do you preheat the car, while plugged in, before you drive?

Blinkin

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 FoST
Country flag
I just did a freeway drive in -12 to -14 (Wisconsin). I have had EV in the past so expected range issues. Unfortunately the EA wasn't working so it became a bit close! Range listed was terrible and spot on. 60% of battery got me about 65 miles. I got home at ZERO, actually has a warning battery was depleted on my road but got it parked and charged back up just fine.

The heater is only a small part of the problem in temps that low anyway. The real problem is physics.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

Yup I did all the time and I'm the one who said it.

I used to drive all winter with the heat off on the Focus Electric--if I didn't I wouldn't make it home from work.

CarboFE

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E FE Carbonized Grey
Country flag
Driving in -1 to -9 (Minnesota) yesterday and seeing pretty identical range estimates. 161 miles at 100%. I expected a hit, but that is pretty dramatic. Use case for MME is generally just around town with a diesel Grand Cherokee for the long hauls, so will just have to learn to live with it.

TrikinCurt

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
Got it, can't say I haven't done the same! I don't often drive long distances but it is frustrating when I do and have to be uncomfortable just to make it, no matter the price of the car.

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
Driving in -1 to -9 (Minnesota) yesterday and seeing pretty identical range estimates. 161 miles at 100%. I expected a hit, but that is pretty dramatic. Use case for MME is generally just around town with a diesel Grand Cherokee for the long hauls, so will just have to learn to live with it.
What sort of speeds...and does your actual experience back up that estimate? Extended battery, right?

TrikinCurt

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
Do you preheat the car, while plugged in, before you drive?
Well for me, I did on the way there (heated garage), but doesn't help much for the way back in a "real life" situation (hockey tournament for son).

Hoping they indeed free up some more range in an update as it is rare but when you need to go somewhere and it is cold, having another car isn't always an option.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I just took a 430 mile road trip with 4 people in the car in 15 degree weather with a 15mph wind with snow and icy roads. No anxiety even with the heat on at 68 degrees.

The GOM feels a bit conservative, the mileage that it displays seems like the 'for sure you can get this far' mileage but in reality you can get a bit more. If you set the destination in the navigation and it's within your displayed range circle then you can make it there no problem.
Sponsored