Vinstang

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E '22 Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I feel like my new extended range Mach-E must have mistakenly been built with a standard range battery, and I'm hoping someone has any ideas before I go to my dealer to take a look. I don't *think* this is just another thread lamenting how weather steals range, so hear me out. :)

My extended range AWD Premium has consistently been estimating its full range in the ballpark of 220 miles. For example, it's currently at 70% charge and estimates 151 miles remaining, which works out to 216 miles of total range. I haven't been using much heat or air conditioning, and the car agrees that at most about 20% of my driving energy usage is on climate controls etc. Moreover, almost all of my energy efficiency ratings in the "My EV driving" section of the Ford app say my efficiency is between 3 and 4 mi/kWh. Multiplying out even 3 mi/kWh by a 91 kWh usable extended battery nets 273 miles, which is what I'd expect. However, the car's range estimate is always around 200-225 miles and has never been above 250 miles, whereas I've seen photos here of much higher range estimates. Can someone help me make sense of this?

It seems like the car's energy efficiency estimates are inconsistent with its total range projection. The estimates would be accurate if my car had the 70 kWh battery but don't line up with the 91 kWh battery I sure hope it has. I know new owners often complain about having too little range because they're spending their energy on heating, but I really don't think that's the case for me in this mild weather. I really want to check my battery's usable capacity, but I haven't seen any way of doing that. I hope the dealer can check that and tell me, but if I'm somehow making a silly mistake I'd like to get corrected now instead of there if possible. Any ideas how to reconcile these numbers? Thanks!

Edit: I checked my battery's capacity the next day, and it's only 84.3 kWh. That does feel suspiciously low to me.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I’ve had mine for over a year. This is yesterday’s estimate on my Premium ER AWD

Ford Mustang Mach-E Range estimate not adding up? 14A34C7F-7656-43F6-88C0-8248E3F9D0CC

You have an extended range battery if that’s what the window sticker says. It’s not possible to do otherwise. The GOM heavily weights the last drive. It uses temperature, speed and acceleration, climb gradient and more. I live on the side of a 14,000 foot mountain. It’s steep. The last 5 miles of my drive home has a 3000 foot climb. Hence the low numbers. Take what the GOM indicates, good or bad, with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
What speed do you drive at on the highway?

Joules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e premium awd sr
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
You could get an obd2 dongle and use car scanner app to see battery size, if you are really concerned. It's not a bad buy imo, anyways. Will give you ability to see much more data about your car

OP
OP

Vinstang

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E '22 Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I’ve had mine for over a year. This is yesterday’s estimate on my Premium ER AWD

You have an extended range battery if that’s what the window sticker says. It’s not possible to do otherwise. The GOM heavily weights the last drive. It uses temperature, speed and acceleration, climb gradient and more. I live on the side of a 14,000 foot mountain. It’s steep. The last 5 miles of my drive home has a 3000 foot climb. Hence the low numbers. Take what the GOM indicates, good or bad, with a grain of salt.
Thanks. :) Yeah, I don't actually think the car would have been built wrong, but I've been trying to find a reassuring explanation of the weird range. My driving has been on fairly flat terrain, though I do get much better efficiency on mostly downhill drives versus uphill. I was expecting the estimate to be mostly based on my last few drives, but my last 6-mile drive was at 4.2 mi/kWh and I still have an estimate of 216 miles. I thought maybe it was weighted toward the first couple drives the dealership did before I bought it, but even those were efficient. Hm.

What speed do you drive at on the highway?
Usually 65 or so, which is definitely above the optimal speed. Though, ex., my most recent drive was more like 45 mph and got a correspondingly efficient rating. All the "My EV driving" logs match what I'd expect, including some trips that would extrapolate to a pretty low range (when I'm driving fast and/or mostly uphill), but I still think overall the numbers aren't lining up. My last 10-mile highway drive (probably closer to 70) was 2.9 mi/kWh, which would multiply out to 264 miles total range. Maybe I'm actually blasting the heat in the backseat without realizing it? I'll look at the car's trip information more carefully, which has a better breakdown than the app. I'll admit it is kinda fun to look at all these details and try to drive as efficiently as possible. I feel good when I get a lot of regen bonus.

That‘s not a thing.
Heh, yeah, I'm sure I didn't actually get a lemon. But I'm still trying to make sense of the weirdly low GOM. Maybe I need to run down the charge to a lower percent for it to start estimating more accurately? Or reset the trip history? But I don't see why, so I can only conclude the Ford CEO is pilfering all our batteries and storing them in his basement. ;)

You could get an obd2 dongle and use car scanner app to see battery size, if you are really concerned. It's not a bad buy imo, anyways. Will give you ability to see much more data about your car
Oh, thanks! I wasn't aware of that, but if Google's shopping results are right and I can pick one up for twenty bucks, I might just do that next week to put my mind at ease and learn a bit more about the car. I do see a screenshot showing total energy in kWh, among other neat though realistically useless things that might be fun to take a look at. 🤓

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I feel like my new extended range Mach-E must have mistakenly been built with a standard range battery, and I'm hoping someone has any ideas before I go to my dealer to take a look. I don't *think* this is just another thread lamenting how weather steals range, so hear me out. :)

My extended range AWD Premium has consistently been estimating its full range in the ballpark of 220 miles. For example, it's currently at 70% charge and estimates 151 miles remaining, which works out to 216 miles of total range. I haven't been using much heat or air conditioning, and the car agrees that at most about 20% of my driving energy usage is on climate controls etc. Moreover, almost all of my energy efficiency ratings in the "My EV driving" section of the Ford app say my efficiency is between 3 and 4 mi/kWh. Multiplying out even 3 mi/kWh by a 91 kWh usable extended battery nets 273 miles, which is what I'd expect. However, the car's range estimate is always around 200-225 miles and has never been above 250 miles, whereas I've seen photos here of much higher range estimates. Can someone help me make sense of this?

It seems like the car's energy efficiency estimates are inconsistent with its total range projection. The estimates would be accurate if my car had the 70 kWh battery but don't line up with the 91 kWh battery I sure hope it has. I know new owners often complain about having too little range because they're spending their energy on heating, but I really don't think that's the case for me in this mild weather. I really want to check my battery's usable capacity, but I haven't seen any way of doing that. I hope the dealer can check that and tell me, but if I'm somehow making a silly mistake I'd like to get corrected now instead of there if possible. Any ideas how to reconcile these numbers? Thanks!
I think this is likely weather related. I just checked your recent weather and current forecast in Seattle, and it's pretty much identical to ours here in San Francisco, except your nights are colder. My GT GOM range estimate is about the same as yours (189@87% = 217@100%). If your car is using 20% energy for climate control, then that's exactly your answer: 216/80% (i.e., 100% energy - 20% for climate) = 270.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
First thing reset your driving history and then see what it says.

If battery temp is around 77F then you should see close to the EPA range right after doing that. But you live in Seattle, looks like your average temp is about 55F so I would expect you see about 230-240 miles 100% range after resetting due to the cooler temps.

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
BB4D9627-3A5D-4CE3-80C6-B0F864D51A4A.jpeg
This is my Std Range AWD this morning before I headed north in SW WA. Drizzly 55 degree weather. I averaged 3.9 Mi/KWh in 142 miles of coastal driving @ 53-58 mph. I typically average 93-98% energy to driving.

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
I’m at 83% with 200 miles, based in North north Washington aka Vancouver bc.
It’ll change significantly in about a week.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Range estimate not adding up? BB4D9627-3A5D-4CE3-80C6-B0F864D51A4A
This is my Std Range AWD this morning before I headed north in SW WA. Drizzly 55 degree weather. I averaged 3.9 Mi/KWh in 142 miles of coastal driving @ 53-58 mph. I typically average 93-98% energy to driving.
This range is due to driving 53-58. I have NEVER averaged 3.9m/kWh. If I average 3.0 I consider that a fluke.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Charge it to 100%, run it till close to empty, see how many miles you get. Simple as that.
Or charge to 100%, drive it down to 50% and multiply by two. Or just go out and drive 10% (from 78-68% or whatever) and multiply by 10. Of course the larger sample size will be better. But this will tell your real range as so far you’ve only discussed the GOM, not how many miles you’re actually driving.
My GOM in my GT is never above 220 miles (usually closer to 200). Yet last week I drove 196 miles on way, no stops, almost all 70 MPH on a freeway. I arrived with 28% battery left. 196 miles used 68% battery showing my true range for that weather and speed was 272 miles.

Ming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME premium SR RWD; 2022 Civic; Tesla MYP
Country flag
My GOM now shows 245-250 for my SR RWD. That's likely based on our driving history about 50% local, never more than 70mph.

On a road trip I just had, when I was driving at mostly 70, I got about 220.

For an ER model, 220 is really low. Do you normally drive at 75mph or higher?
Sponsored