MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
Those give you some backup: If you're approaching Ridgeway and find you're 30 or so miles short an hour or more on a Level-2 might get you the kick needed to get there.
Good point. If I just work in a dinner stop in Gunnison or possibly Montrose, an L2 might be all we need.

I think I’m going to just have to take a chance and be the guinea pig on this!
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
So it looks like I should definitely plan on needing to charge, then. There’s *a* 50kW charger in BV, though this seems kinda having all my eggs in one basket (more slower charger options though). Hopefully the infrastructure will continue to improve before launch.

Charging at the endpoints of these drives won’t be an issue...I’ll install L2 chargers.
And you can stop at Quincy's in BV for those spectacular steaks while you charge!

Doubt it! There IS a really nice supercharger station in Pagosa Springs though...that alone makes me consider a Model Y instead...but I think the charging infrastructure will improve quickly in the next year or two. A fast charger in Gunnison would be ideal for this trip!
Go to the EA website and suggest they need to install a charger in Gunnison.

Last edited:

dwhatch2

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Ford Escape
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have a MME extended range RWD reserved. I recently moved to Green Valley AZ from Broomfield, CO. I would expect to still make that drive twice a year. I just used https://new.abetterrouteplanner.com to plan the trip and found that the leg from Deming NM to Albuquerque is 237 miles and would require limiting speed to 62 mph to achieve the required range! Overall charging time for the 919 mile route is 3 H 11 min with 5 charges. This looks like a DEAL BREAKER for me with Ford and Electrify America! Any thoughts?

OP
OP
MattG

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have a MME extended range RWD reserved. I recently moved to Green Valley AZ from Broomfield, CO. I would expect to still make that drive twice a year. I just used https://new.abetterrouteplanner.com to plan the trip and found that the leg from Deming NM to Albuquerque is 237 miles and would require limiting speed to 62 mph to achieve the required range! Overall charging time for the 919 mile route is 3 H 11 min with 5 charges. This looks like a DEAL BREAKER for me with Ford and Electrify America! Any thoughts?
Whats the starting charge? I think when I first used the app it was assuming 80%.

Tesla’s success is, I think, largely due to their awesome charging network. I‘m betting on the network improving for the MME...Ford knows they need this, I don’t think they‘d be advertising a 300 mile range if they were expecting this to just be a city car like the Leaf.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
There is an option in ABRP to turn that off. If I do that, it basically has you go to Flagstaff then over to Albuquerque w/ a total of 4 hours of charging and 16 and half hours of driving.

As opposed to the speed reduced version of 3 hours and 20 minutes of charging and 14 and a half hours of driving.

It would be nice if there was a charger in Socorro. That has a Walmart Super Center. You should suggest that to EA. That would also help to drive from Las Cruces to Albuquerque.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
There is an option in ABRP to turn that off. If I do that, it basically has you go to Flagstaff then over to Albuquerque w/ a total of 4 hours of charging and 16 and half hours of driving.

As opposed to the speed reduced version of 3 hours and 20 minutes of charging and 14 and a half hours of driving.

It would be nice if there was a charger in Socorro. That has a Walmart Super Center. You should suggest that to EA. That would also help to drive from Las Cruces to Albuquerque.
That's what I was thinking too. More stops but no range anxiety. There is a level 2 charger in Socorro at a the Best Western (1100 N California St, Socorro, NM, United States, 87801 )

Ford Mustang Mach-E Realistic range for driving in CO? 1590086392329

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That's why I'll plan to drive our ICE car on road trips and use the Mach-e daily around home. Those wasted hours charging on a long trip just eat into an already long drive day. I'd rather just get there ASAP. (Our occasional drive is from Longmont to Las Vegas, 785 miles that we do in a single day.)

However, if it's just the lack of an EA station from Deming to ABQ that's the deal-breaker, it's my guess that EA will put one in within a year or two. I-25 is fairly major grid interstate, and thus the type of route EA is looking to cover. I'd be surprised if one doesn't go in in Socorro eventually.

Last edited:

FASTBACK

First Name
Petter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Indian Roadmaster - Beemer 40e
Occupation
Dealer
Country flag
I’m trying to convince my wife we should go through with buying a Mach-E (deposit already placed). AWD extended range. The big uncertainty is range in real world Colorado driving. We frequently drive between Woodland Park and Ridgway....a distance of about 240 miles. The route goes over Monarch pass, as well as a few smaller ones. Speed limit for maybe half of this is 65mph. I’m trying to figure out if we’ll be able to do this without stopping to charge. Winter driving will of course complicate this even more (though will reduced speeds offset increased heater use?).

Has anyone found real world range information for other EVs here in CO? The charging infrastructure along this route isn’t great for the non-Tesla crowd. Just wondering how far a theoretical 300 mile range will actually take me in the mountains...
in summer no problem - first trip you will charge to make the Co driver happy - second run youll do it with no stops
should even work when its winter - but find the 150KW charger on the route - If not call Electrify America to install one on the route ............ Happy EV Motoring from Norway / Europe

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Country flag
And you can stop at Quincy's in BV for those spectacular steaks while you charge!

Go to the EA website and suggest they need to install a charger in Gunnison.
EA in general really needs to expand in Colorado. Right now the only chargers near my house in SE Aurora are Level 2's. There's a huge mall with a WalMart just begging for an EA charger - and EA seems to love WalMarts and Targets.

OP
OP
MattG

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
EA in general really needs to expand in Colorado. Right now the only chargers near my house in SE Aurora are Level 2's. There's a huge mall with a WalMart just begging for an EA charger - and EA seems to love WalMarts and Targets.
Yeah, they do...the focus on I-70, I-25, and Denver makes sense as a starting point for a cross-country network, but they’re missing the fact that we get a ton of tourists entering the state from the south and southwest. I‘m betting that it won’t be more than a year or two before they install something in places like Poncha Springs, Montrose, BV, Gunnison.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah, I tried that app, but it shows a stop to charge. :(

I’m also really unsure how accurate apps like that are...how well do they account for elevation change?
You can try different set ups like SOC at arrival point, different speed etc

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah, they do...the focus on I-70, I-25, and Denver makes sense as a starting point for a cross-country network, but they’re missing the fact that we get a ton of tourists entering the state from the south and southwest. I‘m betting that it won’t be more than a year or two before they install something in places like Poncha Springs, Montrose, BV, Gunnison.
I suspect it's gonna be a longer wait than that. Pull up the EA map and take a look. Outside of CA, there's very few chargers not along interstates. And there's a lot more interstates still to be covered. I'm guessing those will come ahead of smaller highways.

OP
OP
MattG

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I suspect it's gonna be a longer wait than that. Pull up the EA map and take a look. Outside of CA, there's very few chargers not along interstates. And there's a lot more interstates still to be covered. I'm guessing those will come ahead of smaller highways.
True, at least from EA’s perspective. However, I’ve been reading about grant money the state is directing towards electrifying these back routes and it sounds really encouraging.

https://energyoffice.colorado.gov/zero-emission-vehicles/electric-vehicle-fast-charging-corridors
Sponsored