PCPilot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, FE
Country flag
When I connect to my L2 charger, it is really really loud (see video). It was over 100 deg today and I know the battery cooling needs to kick in, but this amount of noise doesn’t seem normal. Not sure if I should take it in to the dealer and would like to get some opinions. Thanks

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
When I connect to my L2 charger, it is really really loud (see video). It was over 100 deg today and I know the battery cooling needs to kick in, but this amount of noise doesn’t seem normal. Not sure if I should take it in to the dealer and would like to get some opinions. Thanks
Don't bother. This is 100% normal. Put it this way, the reason it's loud is because Ford doesn't want you MME to become the new Chevy Bolt i.e. it's preventing your car from becoming a huge fireball. Don't stress out about it. Even the new Teslas and Bolt's (post software update) are also noisy. It's cooling off the battery to protect it.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Don't bother. This is 100% normal. Put it this way, the reason it's loud is because Ford doesn't want you MME to become the new Chevy Bolt i.e. it's preventing your car from becoming a huge fireball. Don't stress out about it. Even the new Teslas and Bolt's (post software update) are also noisy. It's cooling off the battery to protect it.
Yup, and if you really hate it, see if you can step down the amperage on your L2 charger. That should reduce the charging rate (and therefore the temperature) and take the noise along with it.

MachEnation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black Bottom Barrel Base
Country flag
Yup, and if you really hate it, see if you can step down the amperage on your L2 charger. That should reduce the charging rate (and therefore the temperature) and take the noise along with it.
My wife took my son out today in her car and, as she's leaving, calls me while still in the driveway "Honey, your car is making a REALLY LOUD noise, is there something wrong with the car?" "It's ok -- it's just charging." "Sounds like a diesel engine in our driveway!"

How many of these conversations will be happening to MME owners?

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
My wife took my son out today in her car and, as she's leaving, calls me while still in the driveway "Honey, your car is making a REALLY LOUD noise, is there something wrong with the car?" "It's ok -- it's just charging." "Sounds like a diesel engine in our driveway!"

How many of these conversations will be happening to MME owners?
My wife tonight said "the car is really loud". For now it doesn't bother me but one day when the whole street is full of electric cars I can imagine the noise pollution will be excessive. I'm not sure what it will be like but I can see this as being of the major turn offs to ev adoption. 1 car alone is one thing 50 on a street might become issue.

MachEnation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black Bottom Barrel Base
Country flag
My wife tonight said "the car is really loud". For now it doesn't bother me but one day when the whole street is full of electric cars I can imagine the noise pollution will be excessive. I'm not sure what it will be like but I can see this as being of the major turn offs to ev adoption. 1 car alone is one thing 50 on a street might become issue.
I think the MME is right now an outlier in the "charging noise" department, plus Ford Corporate posted about this issue on another thread and confirmed they are working on a fix. I know my Volt never made anything near this much noise, if any noise at all.

idkhow

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bateman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach-e premium, van down by the river
Occupation
it plumber, auto detailer
Country flag
Sounds like my Mach-E charging on Tesla Wall at 48A. Charges fast, sounds like a medium sized fan boat.

Business as usual. You can step down amperage, but ford's being quite safe. The gf's leaf has zero noise while charging. Mine worries the neighbors, but is business as usual.

Rapid Ed

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius
Country flag
Anyone know if I get an MME and trickle charge at night with a 120v connection will it make that noise? That could be a deal-breaker... my garage shares a wall with a neighbor's bedroom (the joy of duplexes). Thanks!

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Anyone know if I get an MME and trickle charge at night with a 120v connection will it make that noise? That could be a deal-breaker... my garage shares a wall with a neighbor's bedroom (the joy of duplexes). Thanks!
There are a couple of things to keep in mind about your question and this thread.

First the question about noise and charging originally came from a European Union forum member. The electrical system is a bit different there compared to the San Francisco Bay Area . The OP has 3 phase 240 volt power which creates its own set of unique problems, just as our 120/220 single phase does. It’s also possible the OP has an issue with his car. :(

Second, as @trutolife27 said heat equals noise. Higher kWh charging will generate more heat which increases the need for the car to keep the battery cool during the charging process. That cooling is what causes the noise, fans and pumps aren’t silent.

The higher the amps on your EVSE (charger), the more heat will be generated and the greater noise you’ll get. A 48 amp charger such as the Ford Connected Charger, ChargePoint, Juice Box, etc. can cause a lot more noise from their charging than a 120 volt charger would. It’s the trade off for faster charging.

Also keep in mind that ambient temperature plays a roll. If you’re living in Tracy, right about now your garage will be pushing above 100 F. Cooling is less efficient in those circumstances. The fans will need to work harder and longer to keep cooling temps under control.

With all that said, most of this isn’t really an issue. I charge my car up on a 32 amp charger. 99% of the time it doesn’t make a sound. I also live in a mild climate. The Ford Mobil charger, included with the car, is lower still. They’ll be quiet. Many of the more advanced EVSE’s will allow you to select a charging rate via software too.Thus, you could set it to 32 amps or so during the heat of summer and crank it back up to 48 amps once things cool down.

120 volts. By definition this is trickle charging. Charging your car at 120 volts using the proper adapter could take 4 full days if you’re at 0% on your charge.

There may be an error or 75 in my missive above. If there is someone will point them out.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Rapid Ed

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius
Country flag
There are a couple of things to keep in mind about your question and this thread.

First the question about noise and charging originally came from a European Union forum member. The electrical system is a bit different there compared to the San Francisco Bay Area . The OP has 3 phase 240 volt power which creates its own set of unique problems, just as ours does. It’s also possible the OP has an issue with his car. :(

Second, as @trutolife27 said heat equals noise. Higher kWh charging will generate more heat which increases the need for the car to keep the battery cool during the charging process. That cooling is what causes the noise, fans and pumps aren’t silent.

The higher the amps on your EVSE (charger), the more heat will be generated and the greater noise you’ll get. A 48 amp charger such as the Ford Connected Charger, ChargePoint, Juice Box, etc. can cause s lot more noise from their charging than a 120 volt charger would. It’s the trade off for faster charging.

Also keep in mind that ambient temperature plays a roll. If you’re living in Tracy, right about now your garage will be pushing above 100 F. Cooling is less efficient in those circumstances. The fans will need to work harder and longer to keep cooling temps under control.

With all that said, most of this isn’t really an issue. I charge my car up on a 32 amp charger. 99% of the time n vet made a sound. The Ford Mobil charger, included with the car, is lower still. They’ll be quiet. Many of the more advanced EVSE’s will allow you to select a charging rate via software too.Thus, you could set it to 32 amps or so during the heat of summer and crank it back up to 48 amps once things cool down.

120 volts. By definition this is trickle charging. Charging your car at 120 volts using the proper adapter could take 4 full days if you’re at 0% on your charge.

There may be an arrow or 75 in my missive above. If there is someone will point them out.

Hood luck.
Thanks, I appreciate the thorough response. (I'm totally new to EVs.)

Waps61

First Name
Waps
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR
Country flag
1st off all, downplaying this issue does not make it normal. Try to explain this to your complaining neighbours during the night.
This charging noise can be as loud as 76 dB which is not classified as normal. I'm suffering from the same problem and it seems that not all MME's have this issue in similar conditions. Another reason why this can not be classified as normal.

In the meanwhile, if you are lucky to have a private wallbox (L2), you can decrease the amperage to 14A per phase. Staying below 10kWh (=230V x 14A x 3phase) results in no or minimum noise even if you charge directly after a 100km drive in 21 degrees Centigrade (70F ).
Charging on public chargers is still an issue.

vinny2487

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E CA Route 1 (Star White)
Country flag
What amp are you charging at? Charging at a higher amp plus hot weather = lots of hot air for the fans to remove. If you have an adjustable L2 charger, lower the amps to anything below 32. It'll charge slower but it'll also product a lot less heat.

OP
OP
PCPilot

PCPilot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, FE
Country flag
Wow, what a great community we have. I very much appreciate all the feedback.

Ya, I have the Tesla wall charger (my son has a Model 3 and the original plan was to get a Model Y for us). It's on a dedicated 60A breaker so it supports the full 48A charging. I already dialed it down to 40A a few months ago to avoid overcurrent errors on the MME, and this was the first time I tried it on a 100+ degree day. Anyway, I started the charging again early this morning and it it just has the usual hum and no loud fan noises, so I think I will try setting up an overnight charging schedule and see how it goes. If it still gets noisy at night, I'll try bumping it down to 32A.

dano

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MME
Occupation
Communications Engineer
Country flag
Wow, what a great community we have. I very much appreciate all the feedback.

Ya, I have the Tesla wall charger (my son has a Model 3 and the original plan was to get a Model Y for us). It's on a dedicated 60A breaker so it supports the full 48A charging. I already dialed it down to 40A a few months ago to avoid overcurrent errors on the MME, and this was the first time I tried it on a 100+ degree day. Anyway, I started the charging again early this morning and it it just has the usual hum and no loud fan noises, so I think I will try setting up an overnight charging schedule and see how it goes. If it still gets noisy at night, I'll try bumping it down to 32A.
I had the same issue, but moving it down to 32A usually works for me on a hot day.
That said, I like the flexibility to move it back to 48A if I need it to charge a little faster than normal knowing that it will sound like a fan boat (as someone described it earlier).
Sponsored