Regrets on Standard Range or RWD?

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Another thought... Being in the south, you're much more likely to get that full 230 mile range in the winter. That's probably about the same that someone would get from the ER in winter in Michigan.

The tipping point seems to be about 50F. Anything above that doesn't usually need too much E-heat and battery conditioning. Below that point, range really drops.

Not sure about A/C yet, but word is it's not nearly as much of an energy hog as E-heat.
Great points. If your not a road trip person or have another vehicle maybe even an ICE vehicle. 200 miles of range is plenty. You can fill it up each night at home.

In perfect weather spots like he said it even helps out more. 8 out of 10 BEV drives will need to fast charge 5 or fewer times a year. 3 out of 10 never will period. Not many people road time all the time or go over the range each day.
Sponsored

Cnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Corvette Stingray, 2021 Mach E premium SR RWD
Country flag
No regrets for me, but I have another ice vehicle that can be used for road trips even though I wasn't road tipping a lot even before covid. I keep it charged to around 90% and estimate 200 miles range based on what I've seen so far with my driving (I'm in a warmer area but I like to feel the lovely acceleration sometimes). Even when I bought the car and put 90 miles on it that same day I had no range anxiety or issues.

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR, F150 XLT Special Edition
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
I haven't received my Premium RWD SR yet, but test drove a Premium AWD ER this weekend..

Wow, the acceleration, I know I'll have less than this with ours, but then again, do I really need all that power off the line, not really!

Well I really meant to say here is does my wife need it...NO! The MME will be her daily drive to work, all city driving, some suburban areas, with 70-90km/h zone, but nothing too long.

What we wanted was the looks, the space (and it is roomy at the back, I was surprised at the leg room I got from behind my own driving position).

AWD ER would have been an option if it had been our only family car, but it is not...we have the F150! And yes I live in the great white north and we have long winters, so what.... winter tires and traction control, 50-50 weight distribution, the MME will do fine. And on bad weather days,she'll take the F150!

Plus the AWD ER meant a good $11.5k more for us (without considering the interests on that extra cost), not worth it for me!

MYOUTH

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKX, Proud Owner of a Premium SR RWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I ordered the SR RWD Premium. I drove the AWD EXT and the SR RWD and liked both, but for daily in town driving I couldn’t see paying an extra 5k for 70 more miles of range. I’m sure you’ll love your car

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
While it would have been nice to get the AWD for the better acceleration, my real regret is not getting the heated seats. I went with the Route 1 which does not have heated seats, the 10 speaker stereo, or the kick-to-open trunk. The only thing I miss is the heated seats; the fake leather is a little cold when first getting into the car, even if I've preheated the cabin.

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
I have an extended range RWD. I kinda regret not getting AWD cause I have the slowest of the available options, and I like to go fast. But it is still somewhat quick.
I'm kicking the same question around as the OP, but the comment "somewhat quick" amused me. I had a base Mustang roughly 20 years ago and I looked it up at 9.2 seconds 0 to 60. Mid 6's is a plenty fast car, even today. My accord will do it mid 7's and I've never questioned the acceleration once.

I am curious how the RWD handles though. My old mustang sometimes acted like the green GT in the video in the rain. I doubt these do that but I'm still wondering.

americanflannel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
I do not write menu descriptions for a living
Country flag
I'm kicking the same question around as the OP, but the comment "somewhat quick" amused me. I had a base Mustang roughly 20 years ago and I looked it up at 9.2 seconds 0 to 60. Mid 6's is a plenty fast car, even today. My accord will do it mid 7's and I've never questioned the acceleration once.

I am curious how the RWD handles though. My old mustang sometimes acted like the green GT in the video in the rain. I doubt these do that but I'm still wondering.
Someone the other day said Camrys have a 5.5 second 0-60 second. I looked it up and it's like wow... even base models are that quick. Cars are stupid fast now, I mean reviews against the Y says the Mustang is slower like that's a bad thing. 5.5, 4.5 it's all the same until you are at 3.5... and that's Mustang Mach E GT / Kia EV6 GT speed... then you're chasing sub 3 second and that's upmost Tesla/2021 Corvette range. Then hyper cars I guess?

I went back and checked every car I owned. Up to the 2010s I was living in 10+ second range with my SUVs and 7-8s range with my 1960s Camaros. After that I was in the 6+ range with things like my 2012 3.2l Audi Q5 S Line and my Fiat Abarth. Those were "Fast enough".

The Mach E is "show it off fast then drive it like a commuter so you don't kill yourself fast".

DanCoon

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Government
Country flag
I spontaneously purchased a Standard Range RWD Premium a few weeks ago since my California Route 1 won't enter into production until May. No regrets on anything so far. I've taken it on 2 long range trips without any issues. I think I prefer the shorter range with premium features as apposed to the maximum range with less features.

exact33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Fusion
Country flag
I have a Select AWD SR and no regrets yet. I am looking forward to a level 2 charger though

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I think if I were to have purchased the standard battery then I'd be disappointed. I was one of the guys that absolutely positively believed the standard battery was plenty for me because it provided twice the range compared to the Focus Electric it replaced. Apparently I was wrong. There has already been a few times where I cut it close with the Extended range battery and arrived home with less than 12 miles on the range display. Back then I was charging daily to 85% and now I have it set to 95% each night and so far that has been working.

My use case isn't normal though. In 5 weeks of driving I have over 3400 miles on the car. That even exceeds my average use on the Focus Electric when I was driving it. I think the Mach-E has made it easier for me to do things compared to my previous vehicle. It appears I was a bit limited with how I could use my Focus Electric due to the 120 mile range and I didn't quite realize it.

BATTERIESRIT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Camry
Country flag
I have an AWD SR, my regular driving is quite minimal so I am very happy with the range.

I also like the acceleration a lot but do have a bit of a lead foot. If you are not interested in such antics, I think the RWD would be fine. On the other hand, an AWD ER would be even faster than the AWD SR if you are into it.

I don’t think a yearly 1,000 mile round trip would justify the cost of the ER battery if that was your only use for it. Would that save you 1 or 2 charging stops on a 1,000 mile roundtrip compared to the SR battery? If you kept the car for five years, that comes out to $1,000 or $500 for the price of each stop you avoided if you avoided 1 or 2 charging stops per year for five years as the ER battery is a $5,000 option.
We sometimes rent a car instead of using one of ours. There can be great deals and the cost of 5- 6 annual rentals is much less than the cost of the extra size battery. Your wonderful Mach-E will be clean in your garage when you return home.

Reactions: ARK

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
We sometimes rent a car instead of using one of ours. There can be great deals and the cost of 5- 6 annual rentals is much less than the cost of the extra size battery. Your wonderful Mach-E will be clean in your garage when you return home.
I agree, though some people don’t like the idea of not being able to use your regular car for something like a roadtrip, seeing that as a more worthwhile use than a standard commute.

My personal thoughts on it is that while it would be nice to use my regular car for roadtrips too, I wouldn’t mind using a rental if the trip involves putting a lot of stress or risk of minor damage on my car - for example, small rock chips if an unpaved road is involved, salt on the undercarriage in winter when I don’t live in a snow area and can’t wash it immediately, young family members who will go crazy with snacks in the car, etc.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I agree, though some people don’t like the idea of not being able to use your regular car for something like a roadtrip, seeing that as a more worthwhile use than a standard commute.
Yep, I never quite understood the "just buy an EV econobox if all you're gonna use it for is daily commutes near home and not road trips" comments we've seen some make. Seems backwards. 90% of most people's miles are around home. If 90% of the time spent in the car isn't worthy of a nicer car, the extra 10% sure wouldn't be. 90% is way more important than 10%.

D’Roc

First Name
Darrin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E SR eAWD
Occupation
Program Manager
Country flag
Thanks for asking this question. I, too, have ordered a RWD SR MME.
Like you, I also take two long trips annually: one is 663 miles each way and the other 714 miles each way.
I used ABRP to get an idea on what those trips would be like with a RWD SR vs RWD ER. Due to a paucity of chargers on the 663 mile route, the RWD SR adds an additional 1 hour and 6 minutes of charging time vs the RWD ER. For the 714 mile trip, the RWD SR only adds 53 minutes of additional charging time.
I have a Touareg that I’m keeping that has 607 miles of Highway range per tank but I really want to take the challenge of driving the trips “all electric”.
RE: the RWD v AWD debate, my first test drive was in an AWD SR. Before I ordered my RWD SR, I arranged with the dealer to test drive a RWD SR to see if I could tell the difference. Per Ford, the RWD SR has a 0-60 of 5.8 seconds whereas the AWD ER has a 0-60 of 5.2 seconds. My seat of the pants might’ve felt the half second difference but it wasn’t enough for me to commit to AWD.
My $0.02.
Sponsored