retired
Country flag

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
I just find it incredible that none of the engineers during testing noticed this? wind tunnel, road driving etc.............
The initial models I"m sure were produced to a more exacting spec IMO. Once you hit production levels, there may be tolerances that that may be acceptable on paper, but IRL are problematic.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
I just find it incredible that none of the engineers during testing noticed this? wind tunnel, road driving etc.............
Probably the cars they had were properly built. I'm guessing this is a build quality issue.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
Here are the measurements of the gap between windshield and sunroof on mine, fyi... I hear wind noise starting around 30-35mph; definitely gets louder on fwy.

1) @ midway point - ~1/8"

Ford Mustang Mach-E Roof Wind Noise *Fixed* IMG_1514

2) On the driver side edge : ~1/8"

Ford Mustang Mach-E Roof Wind Noise *Fixed* IMG_1515

3) The gap gets larger when you measure between the windshield and the black trim (seen above and here, where it's ~3/16" - 1/4"

Ford Mustang Mach-E Roof Wind Noise *Fixed* IMG_1516

4) The depth of the gap - definitely a lot of room there. There's a small channel below the top lip of the windshield on the left.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Roof Wind Noise *Fixed* IMG_1517

GoosePond08

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
I hate to suggest it...but if you want to get their attention quick. Throw your photos on Twitter, tagging Ford and the Mach E explaining you had to DIY this to reduce wind noise on a brand new car.

You'll probably get a quick message requesting support fast.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I hate to suggest it...but if you want to get their attention quick. Throw your photos on Twitter, tagging Ford and the Mach E explaining you had to DIY this to reduce wind noise on a brand new car.

This

AndyS_OSU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevrolet BoltEV
Occupation
Educator
Country flag
My roof had subtantial wind noise.

When I drove a loaner MMe while my 12volt battery problem was being fixed, it became clear to me that my roof was generating way more noise than the loaner MMe (and my roof was much higher in relation to the windshield as well).

Based on feedback from others on the forum, my gap between the windshield and roof is larger as well (>3/16 of an inch).

I bought the product below from grainger and it reduced reduced the noise by 50-70%. My only issue is I may need a slightly larger product (probably 1/4 inch) if it is to stay in place long term.

About to order some. How hard do you think the 1/4” would be to put in?

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Would be nice if there was some active list Ford published of "we got this, here's what we're working on" so we could all calm down here for our various issues. The coil whine, liftgate fits, PAAK, etc.
I'm sure they're afraid of the bad press such a list would generate. At the same time... Exposure on social media gets attention.

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
Can this be as simple as it’s hot in Mexico, and it’s cold where you are, and the the glass has shrunk?

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Can this be as simple as it’s hot in Mexico, and it’s cold where you are, and the the glass has shrunk?
Probably not. The issue seems to be that for some reason the factory is not achieving proper and fairly precise placement of the glass roof. And it needs to be placed precisely.

OP
OP
JSW

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
About to order some. How hard do you think the 1/4” would be to put in?
I believe the 1/4 will work better, at least for me. I ordered some of that as well. I’m trying them as they arrive.

I also believe the gaps may vary in size (some people who have measured said theirs is less than 1/8), so I’m a bit hesitant to make recommendations.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag

Yeah, I second this. Ford seems to be active on Twitter and photos like these will have people screaming "TESLA QUALITY" from the mountaintops. Ford needs to fix it (if they haven't already).
Sponsored