Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I'm just happy that Ford is keeping their word on the one thing they actually did say. They will be updating this car and making it better all the time.
I don’t see how this makes it better. Adding fart noises would have been an improvement over this.

Alright I’ll drop it now.
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Has anyone noticed that SecuriAlert is global? Yup

So there isn't a way for one person to have it on and the other not at least at the vehicle level.

Checking the notification settings: There isn't a section where you can turn on/off SecuriAlert notifications there either.
I think this all makes sense, after reviewing its purpose.

Ford Mustang Mach-E SecuriAlert NEW Feature Enabled in Latest FordPass App Update Screenshot_20210714-192725

I might use SecuriAlert if I'm flying out of town, to notify me if someone breaks into my vehicle while it's parked near the airport.

I might use SecuriAlert if the Mach-E were my summer fun vehicle and it's currently winter. Etc.

These security focused scenarios jive with the name and their description of how it works.

It would be nice if notifications could be set per user preference, but this seems like the right starting point to me. That could be added later if there were enough interest.

One scenario they need to watch out for is if someone gains access to your FordPass credentials, then they can disable SecuriAlert. This is not as big a problem as long as FordPass notifies you whenever someone logs in from a new device. (I don't know if it does do that... But it should.)

Brofessional

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 GR86, 12 Accord, 18 Yukon, 21 Mach E GT
Country flag
If someone compiled a top 100 list of features that owners (not just MME, all owners) want, this one would have been at number 10,000 (if that high). So it doesn't matter which team came out with it. It's still useless.

I'm assuming nothing. I have no special insight into what Ford engineers are doing or planning. This has got to be stupidest feature update to lead of with.
Like they literally TELL you why it functions the way it does, stating you’ll be alerted even if a potential thief is using a CLONED RF code which is how a car like this will be stolen if it gets stolen.

In my profession we have a saying that you never criticize colleagues, because if you do it enough sooner or later you’re going to be wrong when they’re right, and it’s going to make you look stupid. You’re here talking about how dumb these software engineering teams at ford are, and you don’t even realize HOW the software benefits you apparently.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
In my profession we have a saying that you never criticize colleagues, because if you do it enough sooner or later you’re going to be wrong when they’re right, and it’s going to make you look stupid.
THANK YOU. This needed to be stated, and you said it well.

And I mean this broadly, not just towards a single individual.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Like they literally TELL you why it functions the way it does, stating you’ll be alerted even if a potential thief is using a CLONED RF code which is how a car like this will be stolen if it gets stolen.

In my profession we have a saying that you never criticize colleagues, because if you do it enough sooner or later you’re going to be wrong when they’re right, and it’s going to make you look stupid. You’re here talking about how dumb these software engineering teams at ford are, and you don’t even realize HOW the software benefits you apparently.
There have countless comments here identifying desired software updates. How many of them said: I really wish for my car to buzz at me incessantly. If this particular update benefits me, it's not at all apparent.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So it’s basically an added safeguard against cloned fobs and teenagers borrowing your keys. Based on this additional information, I need to revise my assessment: it at least has a genuine purpose even if the situations it will be useful are extremely rare. I am still confounded that this was prioritized over so many more useful features.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
THANK YOU. This needed to be stated, and you said it well.

And I mean this broadly, not just towards a single individual.
Yes, so thankful someone is finally standing up for the little guys (who are being paid to do a job that they aren’t doing very well). Courage.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There have countless comments here identifying desired software updates. How many of them said: I really wish for my car to buzz at me incessantly. If this particular update benefits me, it's not at all apparent.
My car does buzz at me incessantly but that’s a different issue. :)

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
the good for me: Manually installed 3.26. Fortunately none of the nonsense listed above. Yet.
The rest of the story: OTA automatic updates on in car. Phone still says set to manual. Still lists car as Ford Edge. Have to go to Play Store to force install of updates.
Not a reasonable or user friendly system.

Brofessional

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 GR86, 12 Accord, 18 Yukon, 21 Mach E GT
Country flag
So it’s basically an added safeguard against cloned fobs and teenagers borrowing your keys. Based on this additional information, I need to revise my assessment: it at least has a genuine purpose even if the situations it will be useful are extremely rare. I am still confounded that this was prioritized over so many more useful features.
Unless you’re on one of the engineering teams, you literally have NO idea how, why, or even IF anti theft was given priority over any number of features that they may or may not be working on. Ford is in over 125 countries, deals with numerous governmental agencies, hundreds of insurance and finance companies, etc. This was rolled out by the fordpass division which is not specific to Mach e, and may have been in response to any number of concerns, some of which may not even be relevant on our half of the planet.

And here you are, getting your panties in a bunch because your online forum suggestions for updates to a couple thousand Mach e’s aren’t being taken to heart by the software engineering teams at a multinational.

And THEN you decide to mock a platitude in a reply that wasn’t even directed at yourself, when ironically it’s remarkably applicable in your own case given your penchant for criticism of the decisions of others when you have know way of knowing how or why those decisions were made.

Whether you realize it or not, rf code replication is the MOST likely way your Mach e gets stolen if it ever does. It literally applies to you at all times during your ownership even if your individual risk of theft is low.

Last edited:

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Unless you’re on one of the engineering teams, you literally have NO idea how, why, or even IF anti theft was given priority over any number of features that they may or may not be working on.
Other than you no one actually claimed to know why Ford did what it did. We do know from history that companies make boneheaded decisions all the time. Think New Coke, MS Bob, Pontiac Aztec. We do however, know that this thing was given priority, since it is the first functional update they release. QED.
And THEN you decide to mock a platitude...
Platitudes should be mocked. Early and Often. If you don't want your platitudes mocked, don't make them.
Whether you realize it or not, rf code replication is the MOST likely way your Mach e gets stolen if it ever does. It literally applies to you at all times during your ownership even if your individual risk of theft is low.
Yes, anti-theft. Because customers are too stupid to realize that the car is stolen, when presented by such ambiguous clues like the car is missing from the garage or wherever you parked it. Far better to create dozens of meaningless alerts every day on an off chance that some day in the future after many thousands of meaningless alerts, one might mean something. Actually, considering the general bugginess of FordPass, the one time the car gets stolen, the alert might not even pop up.

Try this experiment. Call up your insurance agent and describe how SECURIALERT works and demand a discount on you premium. Then report how long it takes your insurance agent to stop laughing.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I am happy about this because I was going to program something similar in home assistant. In the recent past, I have forgotten to lock my car door and there have been small things stolen from my car at night.
I planned on setting this up for my i3 via HA as well. The Mach-E is garaged so not as much concern, but the i3 is parked outside (though I'm in a safe neighborhood, I still don't want it unlocked sitting in the driveway).

I still don't know why we don't have immediate views of locked/unlocked status via FordPass though. SecuriAlert is too annoying to keep on 24/7, but when I run into a store I'd like to be able to quickly glance at FordPass to see if I've locked the car or not. For now I just run the lock command to be safe...

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
I am happy about this because I was going to program something similar in home assistant. In the recent past, I have forgotten to lock my car door and there have been small things stolen from my car at night.
MME already has a feature that covers you
Ford Mustang Mach-E SecuriAlert NEW Feature Enabled in Latest FordPass App Update 1626342199186

All SECURIALERT does is tell you that a door was opened a few minutes ago. By the time it alerts you, the thief of opportunity is long gone. If for some reason you forgot to close your windows, the mere attempt to grab something, will set of an alarm. And not a few minutes later, but immediately.
Sponsored