Sell car and wait for Mach-E?

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD + Ext Range
Country flag
Keep your car for now.

Go on ford.com inventory search and look for dealer stock on a trim that you want. Make a list /spreadsheet with every dealer and VIN that shows up in the search, and call every single dealer and ask if they have it in stock and able to be sold. I would say 99% of them will turn out to be "in transit " or already assigned to another buyer. Make note of whatever they tell you.

Go on ford.com every day and see if any new cars get added that aren't already on your list. Add those new dealers to your list as soon as you see them and call to inquire.

Gradually increase your search parameters for dealers (30 miles away, 40, 50, etc) and keep making calls and taking notes.

Eventually you'll (hopefully) be able to find an orphaned or dealer stock MME.

Source: I did this for a week straight and found my infinite blue MME
Sponsored

OP
OP
p_haze

p_haze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Clarity PHEV, 2021 Ford MME FE
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
Great questions. I don't have the answer to most of them. Except that the offer is real. They emailed the appraisal to me. i could take my car over there today and walk out with a check for the price they are offering me. I have discussed this in the past with the dealer - their appraisal has gone down by $1000 from Nov to now.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
1. There could be a customer of the dealer with specific timely requirements. IE: They had that and it was totaled.

2. Auction doesn't do good if the exact car spec is not available at auction in the same timeframe (ie: 5 day deadline). Also, dealer may know the condition of the car better than an auction, and thus willing to pay top dollar compared to an auction.

Back to on main topic...
I would recommend not selling unless you are ok going 6+ months without a replacement vehicle (or can obtain a mach e before selling). That said, you may be able to find a mach e for sale from dealer inventory without waiting for an order, possibly within the 5 days. I have spotted some, but there is no guarantee and they go fast...

Blinkin

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 FoST
Country flag
I think that 5 day limit is dodgy and suspicious. Used cars are in high demand right now, but that's not likely to change super soon. I'd think your best bet is to hang on to that car. That dealer will still want it later (or someone else will). And as others have suggested, I'd look for dealer inventory of MMEs. Obviously retail orders have a backlog, but also bear in mind that not all the MMEs being built are retail orders. A good number are for dealer stock, and I recently saw a couple of those on the Ford "dealer inventory" page in my area. You'll have to make more phone calls compared to ordering but I think it'll get you a car much sooner.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Good idea about checking dealer inventories. I wasn't sure if what I see in the search is canceled orders or just cars that automatically get listed but are actually sold already. Is there a way to figure out whether a particular vehicle is available for purchase outside of calling the dealership?
ford.com inventory definitely includes cars that are sold. My was listed there even after I took delivery. I think on autotrader, the dealer has to pay a listing fee, so they are probably available.
My dealer is offering to buy my current car (Honda Clarity PHEV) for the same price that it actually cost me back in 2018 (after dealer discounts, tax rebates). However, I need to decide within 5-days. I am considering selling the car, ordering an MME, and investing the $ I get from the sale while I wait for the delivery so that I can put more down.
Before accepting dealer's offer, find out what Carvana and others are offering. My dealer's trade in came in 30% below Carvana.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Build and order your MME and then hammer autotrader with a 400 mile limit until you find your car.

Took my a few weeks get my car and my order has not been built yet.

opus

First Name
Dwight
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dwightbattle.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
UX/Product Designer
Country flag
I sold my car to Shift about a week before my car was scheduled to arrive...three weeks ago. I’m still waiting. If we didn’t have a second car, and I wasn’t working at home because of the pandemic, I’d be screwed.

If you can deal with just having one car for at least six months, then go for it. But I’d also shop around; I’m cer you can get a better deal than what they are offering.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
I think that 5 day limit is dodgy and suspicious. Used cars are in high demand right now, but that's not likely to change super soon. I'd think your best bet is to hang on to that car. That dealer will still want it later (or someone else will). And as others have suggested, I'd look for dealer inventory of MMEs. Obviously retail orders have a backlog, but also bear in mind that not all the MMEs being built are retail orders. A good number are for dealer stock, and I recently saw a couple of those on the Ford "dealer inventory" page in my area. You'll have to make more phone calls compared to ordering but I think it'll get you a car much sooner.
The five days is not dodgy. No business will give an open ended offer. The number may well be the same in five days, but too far out brings too many variables into the mix. Five days is respectful. Similar to CarMax.

Reactions: ARK

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Great questions. I don't have the answer to most of them. Except that the offer is real. They emailed the appraisal to me. i could take my car over there today and walk out with a check for the price they are offering me. I have discussed this in the past with the dealer - their appraisal has gone down by $1000 from Nov to now.
Used prices will fall off fast as the chip supply gets sorted. Creative minds have been working on that resolution for a few months already. It will be resolved before an ordered MME is delivered. You have a second car. Sell the Clarity. Then get on the phones.

digdug52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E 4X, 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I will add one more thing to consider. If you sell your Clarity and still want to take your vacation, it is either in your older Audi (not sure if you consider it road worthy, especially with a baby) or rent something. Right now the rental car market is tight because the rental car companies sold off a lot of their inventory last year due to pandemic business reasons. This makes renting anything expensive or down right impossible for the next few months since the companies are having trouble rebuilding inventory for same reasons new car dealers cannot get many cars to sell.

gtin

First Name
Gilberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX5, Mach-E AWD SR RR
Occupation
Senior Software Engineer
Country flag
Ford wanted to pay $6000-$8000 on my used car. I sold to private party for $11500 less than a month after I put my order on the mach-e. I am still waiting for the car after 6 months. I think delivery will be late may.

OP
OP
p_haze

p_haze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Clarity PHEV, 2021 Ford MME FE
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
So I placed the order but the dealer said they are not accepting any orders due to lack of factory allocations and that Ford will tell them when they can accept new orders. Has anyone else run into this?

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
So I placed the order but the dealer said they are not accepting any orders due to lack of factory allocations and that Ford will tell them when they can accept new orders. Has anyone else run into this?
Does seem odd. You should be order online and let the dealer accept it. If it's a real thing, Ford will not take the order from the website. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if the factory is potentially backed up with orders outside the states and GT models soon, they might (but probably not) move to the 2022 model year by the time it will get slotted (possibly depends on how many order a GT).

They probably are not accepting dealer stock inventories, but AFAIK (which isn't much about Ford) they should be accepting customer orders.

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Keep your car for now.

Go on ford.com inventory search and look for dealer stock on a trim that you want. Make a list /spreadsheet with every dealer and VIN that shows up in the search, and call every single dealer and ask if they have it in stock and able to be sold. I would say 99% of them will turn out to be "in transit " or already assigned to another buyer. Make note of whatever they tell you.

Go on ford.com every day and see if any new cars get added that aren't already on your list. Add those new dealers to your list as soon as you see them and call to inquire.

Gradually increase your search parameters for dealers (30 miles away, 40, 50, etc) and keep making calls and taking notes.

Eventually you'll (hopefully) be able to find an orphaned or dealer stock MME.

Source: I did this for a week straight and found my infinite blue MME
Only problem with force inventory search is how almost worthless it is. For example you do an inventory search here and my car which I bought and has been in my garage for little over 2 weeks still shows up in the search. The exact vin in everything. I can promise you that it is not on that POS dealerships lot and has never been able to purchase by anyone BUT me.
To be fair that ford dealership is POS and when you think of sleezy car dealerships they fit that to a T. Sadly by the time I learned how big of a POS they are it was to late to move my order to any other dealership and no one had the spec I wanted to buy any how.
Not really the 5 day limit on a used car off is pretty normal. Carmax, Vroom and Carvana offers tend to have a 7 day life span along with a mileage limit. Nothing wrong with that as values of a cars a used car can change pretty quicly.
My offer on my last car from all those places had a 7 day life span and like 200-300 mile limits on them before they would have to be redone.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
You might start emailing dealers that show stock vehicles, but check directly with the internet sales department. You should probably set up another email only for the car research, since later you will get lots of messages.
Sponsored