So what does the button by the charge port do?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Locking the vehicle doesn't lock anything in regards to charging, whether AC or DC fast charging.
Sponsored

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes, it will.
So itā€™s really not locked. I mean anyone can walk by press the button and stop your charge.

do other EVs work the same way?

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
So itā€™s really not locked. I mean anyone can walk by press the button and stop your charge.

do other EVs work the same way?
For CCS the cars all keep the connector locked while current is flowing. Most do not apply the lock for L2. But I found out my Rivian applies the lock when the truck is locked, even for L2. The MME does not do that.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
In the menus on screen in car.
If the button doesn't work it's not likely that the screen release would work either. If neither work there's a manual release procedure that's documented in the owners manual:

Ford Mustang Mach-E So what does the button by the charge port do? 1692130130247

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag
I felt the pain of the woman with her ID something or other on Gretna services one day when the car wouldnā€™t let go of Ionityā€™s CCS plug, had the AA out and everything during my tea, wee & flee charge sesh!

Jerrytball

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Interesting!
I believe in that same article from the manual about DC fast charging it also has this in the notes.

Note: You cannot unlock the charge coupler handle unless the vehicle remote is near the vehicle.

Johntm3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT
Is it OK to remove the plug from the car before powering down the Ford mobile charger? I've been turning off the power to it before I unplug. I am guessing when I install the level 2 charger (going with the Emporia unit) it will always be powered up unless I want to unplug the 15-50 . Is there any danger of arcing when it's still powered up when unplugging a level 2 charger? Most places I can stop the charger first. I guess I would have to use the app to stop the home charger? Perhaps if I time everything right, it would already have stopped charging anyway before I need to unplug.

OP
OP

available_username2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cmax energi
Country flag
Pressing the button on a j1772 charger to open the latch to unplug, also physically disconnects the cables. Once you push the button you are no longer charging

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Is it OK to remove the plug from the car before powering down the Ford mobile charger? I've been turning off the power to it before I unplug. I am guessing when I install the level 2 charger (going with the Emporia unit) it will always be powered up unless I want to unplug the 15-50 . Is there any danger of arcing when it's still powered up when unplugging a level 2 charger? Most places I can stop the charger first. I guess I would have to use the app to stop the home charger? Perhaps if I time everything right, it would already have stopped charging anyway before I need to unplug.
With regard to L2 charging, the car stops charging shortly after the retaining latch is disengaged. When you push the release, charging stops within a second (I say it like that because I hear my L2 EVSE disengage its contactors at something less than 8/10 of a second). At that point, you can pull the connector from the carā€™s charge port. šŸ˜ŠšŸ©
Sponsored