RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
@Nugatti , the SSM clearly says "For claiming, use causal part 10849 and applicable labor operations in Section 10 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual." So that answers your question. However, I don't know whether how and whether this SSM affects Ford Europe.
Sponsored

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So does this mean that a replacement IPC and the work, is now covered under warranty?
My stupid Swedish dealer is not very cooperative.
I heard it is just the engineers in that country that are hard to get along with? ;) Can you download the paper work for your country? Show him and see what he says.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
I called my dealer to set up an appointment, and talked to a service advisor. They told me they'd need to read up on the procedure for a bit, and placed me on hold for like 2 minutes. When they came back, they told me that they would be able to complete the work in 1 day. Reading earlier posts in the forum, I'm not sure whether I should believe them. Anyways, I booked my appointment, and will report back when I know more.

Did any one complete this work recently (since the SSM is published)?

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
I just had this replacement performed today. I'm one of those who's noticed the buzzing since day 1, though it never really bothered me "severely" unless I thought about it and started focusing on it.

So, this required I first bring the car in so they could confirm the buzzing exists. After that, I made an appointment for about a week later when they could have the new IPC come in. They are indeed in stock, so it came in a few days.

The replacement swap took almost an entire day. That's because they were reprogramming something for about 4 hours or so, so it mostly sat there with a computer hooked up.

The new IPC.... Still buzzes. If you heard it before, you'll hear it with the replacement. BUT, I have to say it's about 50% quieter than the old one, without a doubt. I'm really surprised they bothered at all for such a small reduction in the noise. Why can't they simply change the PWM frequency to something higher so that we couldn't hear it? Wouldn't that be a software change? Instead, it sort of sounds like the manufacturer tried to dampen the vibration physically, which results in this 50% reduction.

NOTE that they have to partially disassemble the dashboard to get the old IPC out, so if it doesn't really bother you, I'd say don't bother with this SSM for now. Your experience may vary with this.

Wondering however if I can activate the super secret power meter now, as a job 1 owner with no frunk button :)

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The new IPC.... Still buzzes. If you heard it before, you'll hear it with the replacement. BUT, I have to say it's about 50% quieter than the old one, without a doubt. I'm really surprised they bothered at all for such a small reduction in the noise. Why can't they simply change the PWM frequency to something higher so that we couldn't hear it? Wouldn't that be a software change? Instead, it sort of sounds like the manufacturer tried to dampen the vibration physically, which results in this 50% reduction.
See previous messages
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...-2021-mustang-mach-e-non-gt.28524/post-651094

And
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...-2021-mustang-mach-e-non-gt.28524/post-651159

Poki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SR AWD Premium
Country flag
This is great news.

I'm curious: is there a link to an "official" site (Ford or NHTSA) with this announcement? Ford did not send me any notices, and Google yields nothing. The things one misses when not plugged into this forum!

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I just had this replacement performed today. I'm one of those who's noticed the buzzing since day 1, though it never really bothered me "severely" unless I thought about it and started focusing on it.

So, this required I first bring the car in so they could confirm the buzzing exists. After that, I made an appointment for about a week later when they could have the new IPC come in. They are indeed in stock, so it came in a few days.

The replacement swap took almost an entire day. That's because they were reprogramming something for about 4 hours or so, so it mostly sat there with a computer hooked up.

NOTE that they have to partially disassemble the dashboard to get the old IPC out, so if it doesn't really bother you, I'd say don't bother with this SSM for now. Your experience may vary with this.

Wondering however if I can activate the super secret power meter now, as a job 1 owner with no frunk button :)
While it's disappointing that it doesn't completely eliminate the whine/buzz, I'm happy to hear it's reduced it! Especially with @Gimme_my_MME response about a software update coming at some point to assist.

Can't wait till my appointment in July - really wish my dealer wasn't always so backed up in the service department.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
I dropped off my car at the dealer this morning. I showed them the SSM. The advisor told me that they'd still have to diagnose the problem, since it's a SSM not a recall. He tried to listen to it in my car, but he can't hear it. He said their tech would try again, and they'd call Ford if they fail to diagnose it.

This is more roundabout than I expected. But so far it's still on track to get fixed. I'd appreciate it if any one here can give me guidance on how to proceed if they come back to me with questions.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I dropped off my car at the dealer this morning. I showed them the SSM. The advisor told me that they'd still have to diagnose the problem, since it's a SSM not a recall. He tried to listen to it in my car, but he can't hear it. He said their tech would try again, and they'd call Ford if they fail to diagnose it.

This is more roundabout than I expected. But so far it's still on track to get fixed. I'd appreciate it if any one here can give me guidance on how to proceed if they come back to me with questions.
May have to find younger service person, or even a younger dealership employee to listen in. I know some folks just can't hear those types of sounds.

Reactions: ARK

Tyldum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition
Country flag

I have used Specdroid for android to record and actually prove it (you can visualize the different frequencies). It's in an area you lose first and foremost, hence many can't hear it.

I'm in Europe, though and won't know until the 4th of July if this applies here as well.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
@methorian, @Tyldum, thanks for your responses to my question.

The dealership called me this morning. They didn't come back with any questions. But they told me that I'll need to wait 3 weeks for the parts.

Nugatti

First Name
Aleksander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I heard it is just the engineers in that country that are hard to get along with? ;) Can you download the paper work for your country? Show him and see what he says.
How do I do that?
Not sure what Swedish engineers you refer to šŸ˜‡

Nugatti

First Name
Aleksander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
@Nugatti , the SSM clearly says "For claiming, use causal part 10849 and applicable labor operations in Section 10 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual." So that answers your question.
I don't know what any of that means. o_O

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I got my Mach-E back from the dealership yesterday, and I gotta say, the difference is night and day between the old driver display and the new one šŸ˜

The buzzing to me is much, much, much less perceptible. Even knowing that the replacement screen buzzes a little, I have to focus and look out for it if I want to detect it. I of course donā€™t ever want to hear it, I was listening for it solely to see if my new screen buzzes like others have said (it does), but it is so light as to not be bothersome.

By contrast, my original driver display was very intrusive. Regularly, out of the blue, Iā€™d start hearing it (usually when I closed my windows or turned off the radio). It would often drive me nuts when I wanted peace and quiet, because thatā€™s when Iā€™d tend to hear it the most.

I had recorded some video of my old driver display buzzing. You can find it in the thread here. I am posting a video taken with my iPhone SE (2022) below. I can find my old phone to do an exact comparison with the same device if anyone wants to hear that.

Unfortunately, the one complication seems to be that, as others have reported, taking apart the dash and then reassembling it to switch out the driver display is not the easiest thing, and the rebuild is not perfect. The new driver display seems to be hugging the dash on the left very closely, while leaving too much of a gap on the right.

Anyone have suggested fixes for this, it would seem like too much to ask the dealership to redo the whole thing.

Ford Mustang Mach-E SSM 51689 - Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Buzzing Noise - 2021 Mustang Mach-E (Non-GT) IMG_0626

Ford Mustang Mach-E SSM 51689 - Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Buzzing Noise - 2021 Mustang Mach-E (Non-GT) IMG_0627

Overall, I am extremely pleased with the reduction in the buzzing noise with this replacement of the driver display.