First Name
Julius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Scion xB
Country flag
Hi Everyone,

I’m debating whether or not to get standard RWD or extended RWD. I will be living in the Bay Area in California.
Sponsored

Malacandra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium RWD ER, DMG
Occupation
Web Development Director
Country flag
Hi Everyone,

I’m debating whether or not to get standard RWD or extended RWD. I will be living in the Bay Area in California.
Our charging infrastructure in the Bay Area is better than most, and the climate is temperate, so no massive range loss from sub-zero temperatures.

So you can probably get along fine with a standard battery unless you frequently drive more than 200 miles in a day.

I did go for the extended range battery myself because I expect to hold onto the Mach-E for a long time and expect to see the range drop from age and usage… and want to prolong its useful range as long as I can.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JSD23

JSD23

First Name
Julius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Scion xB
Country flag
Our charging infrastructure in the Bay Area is better than most, and the climate is temperate, so no massive range loss from sub-zero temperatures.

So you can probably get along fine with a standard battery unless you frequently drive more than 200 miles in a day.

I did go for the extended range battery myself because I expect to hold onto the Mach-E for a long time and expect to see the range drop from age and usage… and want to prolong its usability as long as I can.
Thank you for the info. I might go ahead and do the extended range. Did you name your Mustang Shadowfax? I’m doing the same.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
I’m in the Bay Area too, I have a SR and get about 185-200 indicated range at 85% in these cooler months. My commute is 80miles mostly freeway and that uses up about 30%. I only use the heat when it gets below 45ish and drive about 70mph.
if you don’t need the range for every day driving stick with the SR. It’ll give you slightly better efficiency as well since it weighs less.

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD | SR
Country flag
I'm from Sac, and went with the SR RWD as well. I commute about 60 miles per day, so no issues there. For 95% of non-work driving the standard range is fine even in winter months. For the other 5% we have a ICE SUV.

I would only consider the EX range if it was my only vehicle or if I had money to burn (if I did I would burn that cash on a GTPE ?).

Malacandra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium RWD ER, DMG
Occupation
Web Development Director
Country flag
Thank you for the info. I might go ahead and do the extended range. Did you name your Mustang Shadowfax? I’m doing the same.
Yep. It’s a great name for any car, but especially a Dark Matter Grey.

Gino_A

First Name
Gino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt, 2021 MME 2021 Pacifica, 2011 Silverado
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've had my Premium Extended Range RWD for 11 months. I went with the ER thinking that if I keep the vehicle for 6 years, then the range degradation will be tolerable. Also, it really helps to have the extra range for road trips. I have taken my Mach-E from the south San Francisco Bay Area to Lake Almanor and Reno. Only needed 1 charge stop to reach my destination with electrons to spare. However, I probably could live with the SR battery for 90% of my driving.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The choice of SR vs ER is more for when you plan to drive far from home than where you live. Depending upon where you plan to go on a road trip there may be plenty of DC fast chargers or there may not be. Heading south through cali you're fine; heading east and you might not be. Therefore if it's you're only vehicle I would suggest the extended range battery to keep your options open when traveling on long road trips. Otherwise go with what you're comfortable paying for.

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I went with SR RWD since we have an ICE for long trips right now. My commute is WFH currently and office isn't that far neither (if had to go in).

My thinking is when more EVs have very long ranges (400-500 miles), we will just get one of those for road trips instead of the ICE which might start getting sick more often/be dead by then.

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
Hi Everyone,

I'm also in the Bay Area. I went with Extended Range because I eventually want to be able to take this car on road-trips to Los Angeles. The extra range could be the difference between 1 charging stop and 2 charging stops on my trip. And that could have a major impact on me and my passengers.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I'm also in the Bay Area. I went with Extended Range because I eventually want to be able to take this car on road-trips to Los Angeles. The extra range could be the difference between 1 charging stop and 2 charging stops on my trip. And that could have a major impact on me and my passengers.
It's not really the number of stops that is the problem but the distance between them. Since both cars have about the same efficiency it takes roughly the same number of kwh to go a certain distance, so those 2 stops will be shorter vs the one longer stop with the bigger battery. Yes there is overhead in pulling off the road twice and initiating 2 charges, but the ER battery is only 30% larger so on a very long trip you're talking 7 vs 5 stops or something like that, which is really negligible in the grand scheme of things. What you can't do in a SR is drive beyond your range to the next charger, so on many routes in the midwest you'd be stuck trying to find an L2 or slow DC charger to bridge the gap.
Sponsored