Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
My car never had a 12V battery issue. It was the HV system that flaked out each time.
It is mind boggling that you had freshly replaced HVBJB fail....
The likelyhood of your original, AND replacement HVBJB containing bad contactors seems remote.

Leaving a higher chance of a bad connector, wire harness, or 12v connection failing to send enough 12v to hold the contactor relays properly... allowing arcing, and welding internally.

Do you know whether the Service team removed and examined the wiring and connectors as well as the HVBJB? In particular the harness from HVB to dc-dc, and dc-dc to 12v panel, and 12v panel to 12v battery?
Sponsored

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
It is mind boggling that you had freshly replaced HVBJB fail....
The likelyhood of your original, AND replacement HVBJB containing bad contactors seems remote.

Leaving a higher chance of a bad connector, wire harness, or 12v connection failing to send enough 12v to hold the contactor relays properly... allowing arcing, and welding internally.

Do you know whether the Service team removed and examined the wiring and connectors as well as the HVBJB? In particular the harness from HVB to dc-dc, and dc-dc to 12v panel, and 12v panel to 12v battery?
They probably looked at all of it, as the Ford engineers were in and out of the shop a few times to help diagnose my car. I'm hoping they looked at the connecting hardware, because the fact that the replacement HVBJB failed points to another possible issue with the car. Based on the issues they dealt with, I'm skeptical of the HV wiring system in my car and I have already ordered my replacement (a BMW i4 M50).

The good news is that I can get about $55K for my car (even with 24,000 miles), which means that I've driven it for free for the last 13 months (not even figuring in the $7,500 tax credit). The BMW will also come with the full tax credit, so I'll get another $7,500 against my taxes when I file next year.

That, and I'll have a car that is a very similar spec to the Mach E GT.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
3FMTK4SE5NMA07730 VIN #

My 22 MUSTANG MACH E was purchased at Sunrise Ford In Fontana CA

It broke down in Orange CA and was towed to the closest Ford dealership. Villa Ford Of Orange CA. My service manager is Glen. +17142825214. They were able to get me a rental car. The 12V battery is dead on the mustang
@2022machEGT Would you please also report this safety issue to NHTSA? They regulate Ford and can force a recall or at least some transparency. Link: https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Had the exact same problem with my 2021 GT PE on 5/5/22.

"Stop Safely Now" display and locked in Park when I first turned on the vehicle in the parking lot. Battery symbol and vehicle symbol with explanation point displayed in the center console.

Tried all the usual tricks (waited, disconnected the 12 V battery, etc.) to no avail. 12 V battery was OK and the HV battery was at 82%.

Had to be towed to a local Ford dealer for evaluation. Still waiting for reply.

Not a charger issue, the vehicle was not charging. I hope that this Ford dealer knows what to look for...
@Martinmjm Would you please also report this safety issue to NHTSA? They regulate Ford and can force a recall or at least some transparency. Link: https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
FYI, I reported my recent (mid-April) case to NHTSA last week.
Hopefully the Ford leaders who lurk on these forums will notice they've lost one of their "conquests" to the Ford brand already through their mishandling of the defect and any transparency about it.

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Hopefully the Ford leaders who lurk on these forums will notice they've lost one of their "conquests" to the Ford brand already through their mishandling of the defect and any transparency about it.
Although I'm selling my car, it's more about its lemon-like qualities (not representative of the brand). My wife wants to get an EV, and I think that we may replace her current car with a Mach E, but we'll wait for the 2023 or 2024 model year for that. I figure that Ford will have worked out the kinks by then.

Regarding the BMW i4, it's a very close competitor to the Mach E GT Performance in both specs and price. BMW has been making EVs for years and has the battery and HV tech locked down a bit more. Also, one cannot ignore the fact that I'm still getting the $7,500 tax credit with BMW while Ford will burn through theirs (between MME and F-150⚡) based on orders already received. I would have likely opted for the MME GT Performance, but it's down to a timing issue. I'll stay on this forum as we'll be getting in line for a 2023 or 2024 MME soon enough...

jtn001

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition
2021 Mach-E GT Performance Edition:

When I got in the MME today (67% battery) and turned on the car by pressing the start button, the odometer display immediately showed:

(1) the message “stop safely now".
(2) the “12V battery“ and “stop safely” warning light came on.
(3) the shifter knob could not shift out of Park.
(3) the message "full accessory power active" stayed on.

Just towed to dealership. Crossing fingers it’s all drained 12V battery. But how did that happen??? I haven’t done anything different. Please help @Ford Motor Company

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
2021 Mach-E GT Performance Edition:

When I got in the MME today (67% battery) and turned on the car by pressing the start button, the odometer display immediately showed:

(1) the message “stop safely now".
(2) the “12V battery“ and “stop safely” warning light came on.
(3) the shifter knob could not shift out of Park.
(3) the message "full accessory power active" stayed on.

Just towed to dealership. Crossing fingers it’s all drained 12V battery. But how did that happen??? I haven’t done anything different. Please help @Ford Motor Company
So sorry this happened to you, I know how it feels.

Sounds like you did not charge your car overnight with 67% SOC showing. Was it cold when you turned it on? Garaged? Do you drive it very hard? How many miles?

jtn001

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So sorry this happened to you, I know how it feels.

Sounds like you did not charge your car overnight with 67% SOC showing. Was it cold when you turned it on? Garaged? Do you drive it very hard? How many miles?
Warm 72 degree at 1pm but car was in hot sun. I do not drive it hard. Only 4500 miles since I got it in Jan 2022.

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Warm 72 degree at 1pm but car was in hot sun. I do not drive it hard. Only 4500 miles since I got it in Jan 2022.
Since you got a 12V battery warning, it's a good sign that it's not the high voltage system. It may be a simple 12V battery replacement.

jtn001

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Since you got a 12V battery warning, it's a good sign that it's not the high voltage system. It may be a simple 12V battery replacement.
It’s been 4 days. Dealer today said “Our technician ordered a 12vlt battery and HVBJB. ETA on parts is approximately 3 business days, plus a day for installation/retest.”

Crossing my fingers it is fix next week. It’s a great $75k+ car and I enjoy driving it so looking forward to getting it back lol.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
Yeah, this is a frustrating issue with a fun car. I'm still waiting for my dealer to respond as they have had the car since Tuesday (my car is held hostage apparently.) Nice to see they don't expect longer than a 3 day wait on the part, and I suspect I will also need a new 12v battery along with the HVBJB.

It’s been 4 days. Dealer today said “Our technician ordered a 12vlt battery and HVBJB. ETA on parts is approximately 3 business days, plus a day for installation/retest.”

Crossing my fingers it is fix next week. It’s a great $75k+ car and I enjoy driving it so looking forward to getting it back lol.
Sponsored