RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
It was not related to the batteries. It is, per the latest update "a software glitch". The batteries are at 80% and the 12v is fine.
Software doesn't glitch, software has bugs. The way they frame it is to make it sound like act of God rather than their fault.

On the other hand, how can one reset the car that is stuck in some software bug? Would disconnecting 12v battery do a reset?
Sponsored

OP
OP
jdsimard2012

jdsimard2012

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
You mentioned that the car won't start - can u ask what exactly happened when you pushed the brake pedal and hit the start button? Did you try starting it remotely from FordPass, either via the cloud or part of PaaK (if you've set that up)?
No key, no Paak, no code, vehicle is locked in a valet mode override. I can lock and unlock the doors via the key but pushing the brake and button just brings up a screen with no entry capabilities.

OP
OP
jdsimard2012

jdsimard2012

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
If you have that much info on the HVB and LVB, then the car is not in deep sleep mode.
It says its in Deep Sleep Mode on the phone and the dealership confirmed this.

OP
OP
jdsimard2012

jdsimard2012

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Seems to me that Ford needs to put more resources into fixing bugs in the software before the general public hears a whole lot about this sort of problem.
I'm ok with glitches but 12+ days with a car that won't start is unacceptable. No update from dealership or Ford Canada today - which is the primary reason I won't be getting another one. Communication goes a long way in keeping customers happy - I don't think Ford as figured that out yet.

OP
OP
jdsimard2012

jdsimard2012

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
No disrespect, I feel your hurt. Does not sound like 12V, sleep, or deep sleep to me (only my impression).

Maybe (or, maybe not) all it needed was a Sync 4 reset (steering wheel right side seek right and volume down buttons same time. I have had to do this Sync 4 maybe five or six times since Feb. 2020.

... ah, I see, 12 days at dealership, so maybe more serious.

... guess the lock / unlock could be the super capacitors said to back up the electronic door locks, so maybe it still could be 12V bus problem (if not the LVB itself).
I tried the reset, function is disabled.

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
No key, no Paak, no code, vehicle is locked in a valet mode override. I can lock and unlock the doors via the key but pushing the brake and button just brings up a screen with no entry capabilities.
Does the instrument cluster say you're in accessory mode? Just trying to figure out the failure mode here. What happens if you try to start it from FordPass? Most Fords I've had let you start the car and drive if you started it remotely, and then just pushed the start/stop button (without pushing the brake).

The reset that was talked about is the volume down + "next track" buttons on the steering wheel. That reboots the Sync 4A display, without needing any interaction with it.

OP
OP
jdsimard2012

jdsimard2012

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Software doesn't glitch, software has bugs. The way they frame it is to make it sound like act of God rather than their fault.

On the other hand, how can one reset the car that is stuck in some software bug? Would disconnecting 12v battery do a reset?
Great suggestion. I suggested that to the dealership, guess what? The only way to disconnect the car from the batteries is to lift it off the body. At least this is what I was told, which if true is another design defect as there should be a lever to disconnect the batteries from the car without removing the chassis.

OP
OP
jdsimard2012

jdsimard2012

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Does the instrument cluster say you're in accessory mode? Just trying to figure out the failure mode here. What happens if you try to start it from FordPass? Most Fords I've had let you start the car and drive if you started it remotely, and then just pushed the start/stop button (without pushing the brake).

The reset that was talked about is the volume down + "next track" buttons on the steering wheel. That reboots the Sync 4A display, without needing any interaction with it.
The screen is frozen in "Valet Mode", but there is no workable entry. the only controls I have are locking and unlocking the car with the Paak or with door combo. No where to insert my password on the main screen.

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
The screen is frozen in "Valet Mode", but there is no workable entry. the only controls I have are locking and unlocking the car with the Paak or with door combo. No where to insert my password on the main screen.
You don't need a password to do a remote start or a Sync reboot, as far as I remember.

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Great suggestion. I suggested that to the dealership, guess what? The only way to disconnect the car from the batteries is to lift it off the body. At least this is what I was told, which if true is another design defect as there should be a lever to disconnect the batteries from the car without removing the chassis.
The 12V battery, not the main battery. You disconnect the 12V battery under the hood. Most likely a 12mm wrench for the negative battery cable but I haven't tried it.

OP
OP
jdsimard2012

jdsimard2012

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
The 12V battery, not the main battery. You disconnect the 12V battery under the hood. Most likely a 12mm wrench for the negative battery cable but I haven't tried it.
That as been done. Still frozen.

OP
OP
jdsimard2012

jdsimard2012

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
You don't need a password to do a remote start or a Sync reboot, as far as I remember.
Ah I understand now. No the car will not start via remote start neither using the app.

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
Ah I understand now. No the car will not start via remote start neither using the app.
Yikes. I would try that Sync reboot trick (volume down + next track, if I recall correctly). I know it's a pain to do that and you shouldn't need to know/try that, but after 12 days, I'd want to try anything to get it working ?

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
I smell a hardware problem here, not a software "glitch"

mikeho

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Disconnecting the 12v should de-power the computers, as that's the source of power for them. Even if the computers are stuck in a glitch, reinstalling all the software modules should reset the software unless the bug is in the latest version of the software. Since there's also a factory reset option in the settings, I'm sure the dealership can do the equivalent from a computer hooked up to the car...
Sponsored