First Name
Shirley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E, 2020 F150, 2007 Saturn Sky, Jeeps
Country flag
Hi all,
I'm super annoyed at some EV owners. Someone had the audacity to pull my plug 6 minutes after I started charging at a chargepoint station. Is this a normal occurrence? This is my third time using a charger not at home. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?
Sponsored

SeattleMachE

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
No, that's not a normal occurrence in my experience, haven't even had it unplugged on overnight charges at hotels).

No, there is no way for that to not happen, you cannot lock the handle to your vehicle.

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have only had my car get unplugged once and I was sitting int he car when it happened. The offender was a Prius Prime driver that said "You're Hybrid didn't need to charge that long."

I asked him "What Hybrid has a 50 kWh battery?" My Bolt only had 37% charge and I needed to make the drive to the next charger 74 miles away, and it was snowing so it needed a lot more.

I politely took the plug and plug my car back in. Told him he could wait his turn or I could report his plate and VIN to CharePoint for unplugging vehicles that are still charging.

OP
OP
Shirlevee

Shirlevee

First Name
Shirley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

OP
OP
Shirlevee

Shirlevee

First Name
Shirley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have only had my car get unplugged once and I was sitting int he car when it happened. The offender was a Prius Prime driver that said "You're Hybrid didn't need to charge that long."

I asked him "What Hybrid has a 50 kWh battery?" My Bolt only had 37% charge and I needed to make the drive to the next charger 74 miles away, and it was snowing so it needed a lot more.

I politely took the plug and plug my car back in. Told him he could wait his turn or I could report his plate and VIN to CharePoint for unplugging vehicles that are still charging.
I didn't know you can report to CharePoint. That's good to know. I just wish people would be nice.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Hi all,
I'm super annoyed at some EV owners. Someone had the audacity to pull my plug 6 minutes after I started charging at a chargepoint station. Is this a normal occurrence? This is my third time using a charger not at home. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?
it may not be an ev owner, it might just be a hater who has nothing better to do.

SeaKayaker4Life

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium SR AWD in Rapid Red
Occupation
I Do Software
Country flag
Here’s an etiquette scenario I found myself in over the weekend:

One charging station in the middle of a long parking lot (too close to the store, in my opinion — invites ICEing). I get there and it’s ICEd but the adjacent spot is available and the cord reaches so I plug in. While I’m at the car I see two other non-EV drivers park in the spot, so it’s commonly ICEd.

So now If an EV pulls in and goes to charge, the charger isn’t available. Once I leave, the EV spot might still be ICEd by someone who thinks EVs will be a thing in ten years.

Should I have charged at the adjacent spot? Or does that just muck things up?

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
Here’s an etiquette scenario I found myself in over the weekend:

One charging station in the middle of a long parking lot (too close to the store, in my opinion — invites ICEing). I get there and it’s ICEd but the adjacent spot is available and the cord reaches so I plug in. While I’m at the car I see two other non-EV drivers park in the spot, so it’s commonly ICEd.

So now If an EV pulls in and goes to charge, the charger isn’t available. Once I leave, the EV spot might still be ICEd by someone who thinks EVs will be a thing in ten years.

Should I have charged at the adjacent spot? Or does that just muck things up?
Sounds like this charger setup and parking spot is not well designed, but here is my vote:

If a public charger is not currently being used and you are able to get your car close enough, its fine to plug-in and start charging. Later, if another EV arrives and pulls into the "EV dedicated" spot, that's a little harder to say, but probably they should wait for you to disconnect.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Hi all,
That's one feature Nissan did better than Ford. The Leaf has an electronic lock on the charger (including J-1772). It had three options, unlocked, locked, and auto. Auto stays locked until the car is charged, at which point it unlocks.

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
If it has a long enough cord...might just piss em off more though lol
Ford Mustang Mach-E Suggestions needed- charging etiquette 1635306588205

OWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium Extended Range AWD
Country flag
No, there is no way for that to not happen, you cannot lock the handle to your vehicle.
Waiting on delivery, so I am contenting myself with reading the Owners Manual.

The Owners Manual has references to the "4. Plug the charge coupler into the charge port receptacle on your vehicle. Note: Make sure it clicks confirming that you have completely engaged the coupler. Your vehicle will lock to the charge coupler." (P 163) along with "Stopping Charging Note: Do not attempt to remove the charge coupler before it is unlocked. Do not use any kind of tool to try and remove a locked charge coupler. Doing so can lead to damage to your vehicle and the charge coupler. 1. Push the coupler unlock button and remove the coupler handle from the vehicle. 2. Close the dust cap for the additional lower connectors. Note: You can also unlock the cord through the vehicle touchscreen. If the cord still does not unlock, please contact roadside assistance. "

Additionally it documents the process to manually unlock on page 164 "Charge Coupler Manual Release In the event that your vehicle does not unlock the charge coupler, you can manually release it. Releasing the charge coupler: 1. Key off your vehicle. 2. Open the hood 3. Remove inner luggage compartment shields. See Installing and Removing the Luggage Compartment Cover (page 259). 4. Open the low voltage service disconnect. E339337 5. Locate manual release mechanism."

Am I misreading or is the Owners manual in error?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I guess since you don't have the vehicle, you don't realize that the unlock button is right there next to the port, anyone can push it.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Waiting on delivery, so I am contenting myself with reading the Owners Manual.

The Owners Manual has references to the "4. Plug the charge coupler into the charge port receptacle on your vehicle. Note: Make sure it clicks confirming that you have completely engaged the coupler. Your vehicle will lock to the charge coupler." (P 163) along with "Stopping Charging Note: Do not attempt to remove the charge coupler before it is unlocked. Do not use any kind of tool to try and remove a locked charge coupler. Doing so can lead to damage to your vehicle and the charge coupler. 1. Push the coupler unlock button and remove the coupler handle from the vehicle. 2. Close the dust cap for the additional lower connectors. Note: You can also unlock the cord through the vehicle touchscreen. If the cord still does not unlock, please contact roadside assistance. "

Additionally it documents the process to manually unlock on page 164 "Charge Coupler Manual Release In the event that your vehicle does not unlock the charge coupler, you can manually release it. Releasing the charge coupler: 1. Key off your vehicle. 2. Open the hood 3. Remove inner luggage compartment shields. See Installing and Removing the Luggage Compartment Cover (page 259). 4. Open the low voltage service disconnect. E339337 5. Locate manual release mechanism."

Am I misreading or is the Owners manual in error?
That only applies to DCFC, and a passerby can unlock it from the button on the car or the charger screen.