Talk me off the ledge

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
My Prem AWD ER RR was produced on 1/4 but now on chip hold with an ETA of 4/30. I’m pissed at Ford for lack of communication so started down the rabbit hole of looking for something else. I currently drive an old but fully loaded BMW X5. Me and Betty have been together a long time. She has more bells and whistles than my new (TBD named) Mach E…(Which is sad since she is a 2012). Anyway, the only EV/hybrid that has caught my eye is the premium Toyota Highlander. I like the fancies, captain’s chairs and 3rd row. It’s also closer in size to what I have today and isn’t a million dollars. Should I pull the trigger on the Highlander Hybrid or wait for the Mach E? The MME is definitely cooler, but who am I kidding? Imma baseball mom ?
Have you test driven both? Start there. Decide which car you want.

Then if you want the Mach E and can’t wait, start searching for a cancelled order.

FWIW, the 4/30 date is just their way of saying “we don’t know.” It could come fast since it’s built. (Glass half full). But even if it’s a couple months, it’s with the wait if that’s really the car you want.

Do they even have Highlander hybrids in stock right now?
Sponsored

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
Congratulations on your Mach-E purchase, Bill. We're thrilled to hear you're as excited about as we are! :)
This idea of making excuses to get out and drive your MME is something I relate to quite a bit, and I'm willing to be many here relate to as well. This should really be in a commercial.

I could see it getting to a point of ridiculousness... milk and bread run at 11pm, driving to pick up takeout after "screwing up" dinner at home, teetering on the edge of upsetting the spouse until they sneak out with the keys and drive it themselves late one night. Then they just "get it". The next day they try to beat each other to the keyfob (because there's only one, ahem) before heading out on something equally ridiculous and unneceessary. "I need to go get a car wash!" "But it was just washed yesterday??" "Yeah but it got dirty on the way home." Whatever, you get it.

@Ford Motor Company Hit me up in my DM's and I'll pitch your marketing team.

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
My Prem AWD ER RR was produced on 1/4 but now on chip hold with an ETA of 4/30. I’m pissed at Ford for lack of communication so started down the rabbit hole of looking for something else. I currently drive an old but fully loaded BMW X5. Me and Betty have been together a long time. She has more bells and whistles than my new (TBD named) Mach E…(Which is sad since she is a 2012). Anyway, the only EV/hybrid that has caught my eye is the premium Toyota Highlander. I like the fancies, captain’s chairs and 3rd row. It’s also closer in size to what I have today and isn’t a million dollars. Should I pull the trigger on the Highlander Hybrid or wait for the Mach E? The MME is definitely cooler, but who am I kidding? Imma baseball mom ?
Have you considered the new X5 xDrive45e? It is very luxurious, it will probably have more bells and whistles than your current one, and it has a very decent electric only range for a hybrid.
It might not be as fast as the MME, but its ride is more luxurious.

Triggerhappy007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Premium VB & 22 Select GB
Country flag
Once you go electric, you'll never go back to gas. Unless all you do is taking 500+ mile trips. It's great going out in the morning with a full 'tank' if you have a 14-50 outlet. Don't have to deal with oil/filter changes, timing belt, spark plugs, exhaust smell, carbon monoxide, etc when compared to an ICE. I would wait.

Neutronbomb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4
It’s really tough to play the waiting game when the true situation and timeline from Ford is clear as mud. Theoretically my car will be built early next month, but who knows when I’ll actually take delivery due to chip holds and other delays we don’t fully understand occurring. Like others above, I went and test drove an EV6 a few days ago. Compared to the EV6, the Mustang has better looks, storage, ride height, and wireless CarPlay going for it (and a pano glass roof, if you like that). But on the other hand, the AWD GT-line EV6 has way faster DC charge time, performance (it’s slightly faster to 60 than the premium AWD MME), ventilated seats, vehicle to load, a battery heater, thicker tires, a more settled suspension - and a sunroof that actually opens, if you like that. It’s a really tough decision and honestly my choice is probably whatever I can get sooner, because the wait is killing me.

To OP’s point though - hard to blame anyone considering other options right now when we don’t know what the true timeline is from Ford.
Also the HUD and the blind spot cameras. Throw blue cruise hands free into the mach-e category. Yes, I've been weighing the benefits of each to an obsessive amount in my head...lol

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
wait! so very worth it! so much so we just ordered another. Took delivery of our first last March after waiting forever...

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘18 Pacifica PHEV, ‘22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
I'd argue that a plugin hybrid is halfway there. A hybrid without a plug is just a gas car.
I have a Plug-in Pacifica hybrid and it is what has given me the impetus to go full EV. I now hate using gas and see how easy it is to charge at home and skip the gas stations. It is a middle step that many people may benefit from.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I have a Plug-in Pacifica hybrid and it is what has given me the impetus to go full EV. I now hate using gas and see how easy it is to charge at home and skip the gas stations. It is a middle step that many people may benefit from.
I'm with you. We got a gas Pacifica for my wife when they first came out in 2016. The PHEV version wasn't available yet, but doing research on the Pacifica PHEV got me interested, so I traded my Jeep Cherokee for a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. At the time, I didn't consider a full EV. However, even with only 22 miles of EV range with the Outlander PHEV, I was able to go almost a year between gas fill ups. I spent so much time trying to drive in a way that would prevent the engine from kicking on that it became very clear that the best way to prevent the engine from kicking on was to get a car that didn't have an engine. Now I happily drive all electric in my MME, and my wife drives almost all electric in her RAV4 Prime, but with the added benefit of being our road trip vehicle (if we ever go on one). A plug-in hybrid really is a great gateway drug to a full EV.

OP
OP

Aphillips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Premium eAWD ER
Country flag
You probably won’t be at the top of the list for carpooling without a third row, but your kid’s friends will be totally impressed with the MME when he shows up for the game!?
His dad has a new Bronco so I think he will get all the cool points- especially on nice days with the top off!

OP
OP

Aphillips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Premium eAWD ER
Country flag
As a household that has both a Premium MME and a '19 Limited Highlander Hybrid, I'd be glad to field any questions you may have.

I'll say this though, 7 months since taking delivery of our MME, we still get excited to drive it and it's our go to. The features aren't comparable. The Highlander is a solid car but it's not exciting and doesn't have many bells and whistles. And yes it's a hybrid but based on it's size the MPG is only around 28 for our '19 model.

We've taken our MME cross country with 2 kids and a dog and did just fine with the space. The only time we need the Highlander is a vacation we're bringing lots of stuff (i.e. beach rental). The captain's seats are nice but like most 3rd row cars, it's tight.

The wait for our MME was tough and Ford's lack of communication is a big missed opportunity IMO, but the MME was well worth the wait.
Thanks for the info! I’ve been a little nervous with the smaller car and less fancies, but still like the look of the MME. I’m still going to keep my order either way but plan to test drive the Toyota over the weekend. I hope I hate it ?

OP
OP

Aphillips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Premium eAWD ER
Country flag
Have you test driven both? Start there. Decide which car you want.

Then if you want the Mach E and can’t wait, start searching for a cancelled order.

FWIW, the 4/30 date is just their way of saying “we don’t know.” It could come fast since it’s built. (Glass half full). But even if it’s a couple months, it’s with the wait if that’s really the car you want.

Do they even have Highlander hybrids in stock right now?
One of the Toyota dealers here has the top of the line in stock. Going to test drive this weekend. I’ve been searching for a canceled order for months with no luck. Not many people are ordering them in TN apparently.

OP
OP

Aphillips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Premium eAWD ER
Country flag
Have you considered the new X5 xDrive45e? It is very luxurious, it will probably have more bells and whistles than your current one, and it has a very decent electric only range for a hybrid.
It might not be as fast as the MME, but its ride is more luxurious.
I love my BMW and agree the new hybrid is amazing. But when I built it online I had sticker shock ? Also, I told myself I’d never own another BMW because they are sooooo expensive to work on. I have a diesel and it costs me $200 for an oil change. Craziness.

OP
OP

Aphillips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Premium eAWD ER
Country flag
Congratulations on your Mach-E purchase, Bill. We're thrilled to hear you're as excited about as we are! :)
I’d be thrilled to get some additional info from Ford. I completely understand the issues. Just be transparent.
Sponsored