Tesla Slashes Prices

vortix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach E GT
Country flag
For 60k i get a center console that turns off randomly while driving and needs to be rebooted.

And heaters that turn off and on at random. Like i said, i absolutely love the look of my car and i dont think the build quality of the interior and exterior get enough praise.

I would just prefer a car whose ui, software, and systems are near seamless but it has a door panel that is a few centimeters out of place. Sounds like a fair trade
Those sound like problems with your specific car, not "normal behavior" by any means. The dealer should be able to repair those issues under warranty. (I know, key word "should".)
If ford were to lower prices on the MME would that have any effect on '23 models? or would this take effect in '24 only? Expected delivery for my '23 Select is July (Im hoping)
Only Ford knows the answer to that! Worst case, they likely could modify the MSRP for newly built Mach E's. Best case, they could do that for Mach E's sitting on dealer lots right now (not sure how they would handle providing updated window stickers). What we do know is they can't simply offer cash back incentives to the dealer or consumer since the tax credit is based on the MSRP cap. Though they could offer lease incentives that include the $7500 tax rebate Ford Credit could claim on leased cars...and then some. We'll have to wait and see.

Is the Tesla price drop to make the lowest 3 trims (3 RWD, 3 Performance, and Y LR) below the $55K max to entice those customers to buy and claim the tax credit ??
Of course!
Sponsored

jrstinkfish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
No Android Auto is a deal-killer for me to even consider a Tesla, regardless of price. It's free and the one thing I use most -- paying a subscription fee to get all the navigation features, that's for suckers.

OP
OP

MachKet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered 2022 Mach E select AWD
Country flag
Tesla has been losing market share all over the world and now they can't even sell already manufactured cars without deep discounts. Some people are still in denial.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla Slashes Prices 1673983785280

Inventory levels during Q4 where most people were passing on orders because of the upcoming tax credit news, they sold 63,800 total model Y's that quarter. They are clearly doing fine lol.

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla Slashes Prices 1673983785280

Inventory levels during Q4 where most people were passing on orders because of the upcoming tax credit news, they sold 63,800 total model Y's that quarter. They are clearly doing fine lol.
I wonder why you only show Model Y inventory. Just kidding, I know exactly why:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla Slashes Prices Tesla Inventory

Because if you REALLY wanted to show how great Tesla is doing, you would show ALL of their inventory. Their inventory has been slowly creeping up all the last several months, and the only thing that kept it from spiraling out of control was large price cuts. I don't think Tesla is doing 'bad', but you only cut prices when you can't sell at your current price. Their market ($50k+ vehicles) might be saturated.
Here is another data point. While driving in Marin County (north of San Francisco), I saw a large parking lot at a dealership packed full of Teslas.
Here is a street view from back in July (view from frontage road)
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla Slashes Prices Tesla July

And one from September (which is how it looked when I passed by yesterday, view from freeway):
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla Slashes Prices Tesla September

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
MME to Mod Y is a downgrade IMO -- it's the same reason I didn't get one in the first place.
1, you lose your most viewed display
2, you lose your most used software (android auto / car play)
3, you lose your looks -- though some people may want to have a catfish car
4, you lose your build quality
5, depending on location, service and recalls can be quite a journey

For me at least 1-3 aren't negotiable, they're deal breakers. I've used DCFC ~20 times and have had no issues with it. The MME is however my 3rd vehicle. No EV currently comes close to what my F150 provides 6-700 miles on a tank that takes 7 minutes to fill.

Most of my trips are in the MME because get in and go is hard to beat. You can't start a cold ICE and just lay into the throttle hard in the first 5 or so minutes without putting unnecessary wear on it. Even worse if it's a hybrid and wants to run on battery for 10 minutes before it starts the ICE when remote started. In-fact if ford had did the hybrid F150 right in the first place by giving it 1/5 of a lightnings battery, I probably wouldn't have gotten the MME in the first place...

buffasnow

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE, 85 Mustang GT (pasturized)
Country flag
Dang brave soul, I'd love to replace our minivan with another BEV but I have family living about 2 hours away. I can *maybe* make a round trip without charge stops (given warm weather) but in an emergency (God forbid) I'd need either more range in batteries or an ICE.
Ha, I just got a laugh and had to go back and re-read your message. Been staring at screens all day and my weary eyeballs moved the word "another" four places word to the right, to read "but I have another family living about 2 hours away."

I need a nap.

tdmeng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered: 2022 Select AWD C/T
Country flag
The $60-$80k market is only going to get more competitive as the true luxury car players: Mercedes, Porsche, and Audit ramps up production. Macan EV is probably my most highly anticipated EV after Mach E (also, if the Mach E GT is $77k, Ford better pray that the Macan starts at $87k like the Taycan).

I will admit, the M3P is going to be the car to get if you want a sports car EV/ track EV until the Cayman EV is released.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
The $60-$80k market is only going to get more competitive as the true luxury car players: Mercedes, Porsche, and Audit ramps up production. Macan EV is probably my most highly anticipated EV after Mach E (also, if the Mach E GT is $77k, Ford better pray that the Macan starts at $87k like the Taycan).
I don't have much hope for that market price segment for the immediate future. New tech is needed to bring the pricing down as the expensive parts of vehicles based on mineral usage is only increasing. Lithium is up 10 fold in just 2 years. It takes ~10+ years to bring new mines up to capacity. Most modern countries have already gobbled up their 'easy' pickings, what's left requires quite toxic leaching methods that use massive amounts of acids and other harmful products.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/13/business/sweden-rare-earth-minerals.html

sdevfan

First Name
Sudhir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Tesla has been losing market share all over the world and now they can't even sell already manufactured cars without deep discounts. Some people are still in denial.
I think the biggest reason Tesla had to offer discounts is that they have now ramped up production of EVs to over 2 million / year. There just aren't that many buys at the previous prices in a recession. Demand is very elastic and so they will find buyers for their cars at the new lower prices. Ford is many years behind from a production standpoint and also loses money on every car they make at this point (understandably, like Tesla did for many years). They are between a rock and a hard place to be honest. The more cars they make, the more money they lose. And if they cut prices to be competitive with Tesla, then they will lose even more money! Unfortunately for Ford, Tesla has the first mover advantage. There is no advantage to being second mover / copier. There would be no Mach E if not for Tesla. That being said, I think the Mach E seems like a very good car from what I have read. They clearly have very good engineering to even come close to Tesla, which I think speaks a lot about the talent in this country. Ford and the Mustang brand have a lot of followers / admirers and so I think that's the main reason they are surviving up til now. But with over 100 billion in debt, going into a recession, with a competitor who is undercutting them on price, it will not be easy.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
Tesla's approach has been profit maximizing for the most part. While dealers made most of the profit the last 2 years, tesla didn't have anyone in the middle getting $ at their expense.

Now that we're in a global recession and PMIs are negative, they've gone for the kill shot in the EV space by making their cars the best budget option. Meanwhile ford and gm dealers reaped all of the $$ benefits the last 2 years, now the auto makers themselves are faced with a sharp demand reduction followed by the trendsetter of this market segment pricing everyone else out. In the US, the only manufacturer who's in a profit position is tesla. Even raising prices, EVs aren't profitable for most players. Look at what ford had to do with the base lightnings. They've raised prices so much they've priced themselves out of tax benefits on all models except for the standard range pro and XLT models. You can't even get a large battery XLT for less than $80k now.

OP
OP

MachKet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered 2022 Mach E select AWD
Country flag
I wonder why you only show Model Y inventory. Just kidding, I know exactly why:

Because if you REALLY wanted to show how great Tesla is doing, you would show ALL of their inventory. Their inventory has been slowly creeping up all the last several months, and the only thing that kept it from spiraling out of control was large price cuts. I don't think Tesla is doing 'bad', but you only cut prices when you can't sell at your current price. Their market ($50k+ vehicles) might be saturated.
Here is another data point. While driving in Marin County (north of San Francisco), I saw a large parking lot at a dealership packed full of Teslas.
Here is a street view from back in July (view from frontage road)

And one from September (which is how it looked when I passed by yesterday, view from freeway):
Or because the model Y is a direct competitor to the MME and this what the forum is about. Imagine I grouped up the 10k+ f150’s sitting on lots right now it wouldn’t make much sense. But even with your graph the peak shows ~1700 cars in q4…. They sold over 225k lol. Look I get it Tesla is an easy company to hate on but at least have some logic behind it

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
Just snagged a MYLR. Deal is too good to pass imo
Is this in addition, or did you replace your Mach-E?

With the fed rebate on used I am going to watch the market, hope prices come down, and try to nab a 21 or 22 CR1 or Premium ext for less than 8k out of pocket over my select. Add in the new rebate and it is cheaper than going a Y and for a better car IMHO

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Just checked Tesla Y inventory (ready for pickup/delivery today) and all the under $55K are sold out. Only the ones over $55K are available.

How long does it take to order a Y under $55K??

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Just checked Tesla Y inventory (ready for pickup/delivery today) and all the under $55K are sold out. Only the ones over $55K are available.

How long does it take to order a Y under $55K??
If you build one it states Jan to Mar 2023. They are trying to hit the March battery announcement.
Sponsored