RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
To clarify, the mechanical portion of their drivetrain.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
It will be the Apple strategy of 1% lighter, 1% smaller, 1% more energy....regardless, TSLA will climb to $800.
And Elan will inflate all of those to 10%.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Tesla went induction motors vs. permanent magnet. They did that because perm mag motors are expensive, and getting the materials to make them is tough. Permanent magnet motors are much simpler to control, higher performance, and lighter than induction ones. Tesla, though, had or assembled enough engineering talent to come up with a real good induction motor controller. So now they have a system that is nearly as good as permanent magnet one. Bonus, they realized they can advertise they are eco-friendly for not having to mine perm magnet materials.

Funny thing though, I think the Model 3 has permanent magnet motors. They have come over to the dark side, lol...

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
They use both, I think. Edit: As far as I know the front motors in dual motor model 3 cars are induction, while the rear are permanent magnet.

Last edited:

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
These days, I generally disagree with Zac and Jessie and do not watch many of their videos any more. That said, they made a battery day prediction video. I still disagree with their prediction, but I do believe the foundation of their prediction sounds solid. Mainly that there will be a new battery tech (probably just a cell improvement as they predict). I believe their prediction of supporting a higher current per cell makes sense, although I disagree that it will be 96 A per cell (that's insanity). Secondly, I think their prediction on a re-arrangement of the parallel vs. serial cells also seems to make sense (to get to a >800V battery pack). I think they paint a too-rosy picture of the extreme savings, but I bet they are mostly correct in at least the general flavor of the forthcoming announcement.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I'm thinking BD will offer more than hype. But we'll see. The 'million mile battery' tech maybe.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Already hedging bets, saying whatever they announce won't actually have an impact until 2022... It's just a shareholder meeting for a startup company where they find new ways to look at the data to try to get some positive spin. Trying to justify an outrageous valuation.

Calling it battery day is an insult to actual battery research, imo.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Calling it battery day is an insult to actual battery research, imo.
I would take that statement more seriously after the announcement when you actually could evaluate what was revealed

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
These days, I generally disagree with Zac and Jessie and do not watch many of their videos any more.
Yep. The first video of theirs I watched last year wasn't too bad. But then I watched a few more and couldn't even get all the way through. That one where they were on stage as guests made em look like loons. Way too "off the deep end" for me.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would take that statement more seriously after the announcement when you actually could evaluate what was revealed
True, we'll have to wait and see. But it's gonna be hard living up to the hype.

I'm betting the 'under'. ?

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I can repeat it tomorrow, but it isn't that THIS "battery day" is insulting, it is a general comment which stands regardless of what is announced.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I can repeat it tomorrow, but it isn't that THIS "battery day" is insulting, it is a general comment which stands regardless of what is announced.
Oh yes, it is very clear to me that you will let your statement stand regardless of what is revealed. Unfortunately.
Sponsored