Thoughts on Ford's dedication to updates (Tesla vs Ford)

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Question: how will a Ford's OTA update work? I mean, how is the car connected to the internet? Do you need it to be on your home (or smartphone's) WiFi?
MME comes with a celluar (G4 I think) modem. My C-Max had a G2 modem. Unfortunately, service department screwed the pooch when they attempted to replace it with G3, when ATT shutdown it's G2 network. After 3 or 4 attempts and 2 months of driving loaner Edge, I just gave up, and the modem didn't work for 3 years.
Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Good question if Ford will actually upload and install OTA updates over 4GLTE network. Those updates can be massive and Tesla actually requires WiFi connection even though they could do everything over the LTE.

And I guess and hope what Ford did to your C-Max (leaving you without connection) won't be possible anymore with Mach-E.
The utility of the modem on-C-Max was limited, which is why I gave up. With Mach-E, I would need to make sure they fix it. I am hoping the service techs will be better trained, but that's an open question.

They don't need the network to install, just to download. :)

ArtyMachy

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 2021 Select AWD
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Since I am an owner of a Model 3 and regularly receiving OTA updates, I can tell you I really hope that Ford doesn't mess this one up. OTA updates are an excellent idea:
- they keep customers happy as it breaths new life into their used car
- after purchase satisfaction increases as no one feels left in the dark when new model years comes out.
- it is basically a marketing tool. Just check Youtube when a new OTA update comes out from Tesla. Everyone is posting their impressions and millions more and watching them.
- to be honest they are sometimes not very meaningful updates but just knowing that there is a team of people dedicated to improve your product after you bought it makes you feel satisfied.
- no need to take an appointment and go to the dealer to upload a software. Waste of time and $$$ for you and the dealership. I remember when Audi wanted to charge me serious $$$ for a firmware update and Navigation maps update (after warranty)

In my Tesla, I can push a button and say BUG REPORT to generate a message that will be sent directly to their tech team then it is soon fixed in the following updates. I wish my Mustang had this feature too, no batter way to find out issues directly from your customers.
Ford will need to adapt to the new reality of OTA and dealing with EV crowd ...... we are different :)