Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Chevrolet Bolt EV
Occupation
CEO and Founder of Parking Heaven
Country flag
It is a known issue at this point in cold weather; apparently Ford is not conditioning (ie warming) the battery even if you put a charge point in the nav system. There are actually quite a few posts on this, and Ford will be including a patch for the issue in the first OTA update which is coming soon.
Hope so.....a lot of these things are obvious and not sure why they would not have them ready from the start. I mean didn’t they do their research? I mean thats part of being a big company like Ford and not Tesla. These are things that are expect from a car maker thats new like Tesla but I expect better from Ford.
Sponsored

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
We went to several charging stations though. Same result or worse.
Have you been able to get some decent stretches into the car before pulling up to a charger? The coldgate issue is real for a lot of EVs without preconditioning. Hopefully @timbop is right about there being a software change soon to rectify this.

OP
OP
Jen K

Jen K

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Occupation
Marina owner
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Definitely some good advice here.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Were you trying on Electrify America? I am starting to think its some issue with EA. I drove my car 350 miles home from the dealer, and I stopped at 2 EA stations and 1 NON-EA station on the way home. Both EA stations, I couldn't get more than 40kw ever. It would average around 31kw actually. Then When I got to the Non-EA station, It hit 90kw with no problem. I completely expect it would have gone higher, but the temp outside was 12F so that battery definitely wasn't at temp.

Based on that, and similar issues with EA that my brother has with his Bolt. I feel like Electirify America stations just aren't working properly at all.

On a side note, At EA, I was forced to use only 150kw stations. 350kw stations would fail immediately with the MachE.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
On a side note, At EA, I was forced to use only 150kw stations. 350kw stations would fail immediately with the MachE.
You shouldn’t have a reason to use a 350kW station anyway with an MME unless all the 150kW stations are full.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
You shouldn’t have a reason to use a 350kW station anyway with an MME unless all the 150kW stations are full.
The first station I went to, 1 150kw station was in use, and the other only the Chademo plug was working. So I tried a 350. Every time with the 350 I got some kind of error. Either it would say the car timed out, or it would start to charge. and hit 40kw and then kick off immediately with a charging fault. 150kw stations never had this issue, but they couldn't get over 36kw.

Dan G

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Ioniq
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
I hate to keep harping on this. This is not a station issue. The battery is cold. Plain and simple. There might be some outliers on the station front, but I don't think it's in the station side. Until Ford gets a way to warm the battery up, it will continue To be an issue. Only Tesla and Porsche have a battery heater that warm a battery up enough to DC fast charge. Technically, only Porsche heats it enough to reach peak speeds.

I have seen on this forum that Ford plans to add preconditioning on the battery. We can all hope it comes sooner rather than later.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I hate to keep harping on this. This is not a station issue. The battery is cold. Plain and simple. There might be some outliers on the station front, but I don't think it's in the station side. Until Ford gets a way to warm the battery up, it will continue To be an issue. Only Tesla and Porsche have a battery heater that warm a battery up enough to DC fast charge. Technically, only Porsche heats it enough to reach peak speeds.

I have seen on this forum that Ford plans to add preconditioning on the battery. We can all hope it comes sooner rather than later.
Ford has the heater, they have chosen to not use it for en-route preconditioning, only stationary preconditioning. Hopefully the update comes very quickly.

OP
OP
Jen K

Jen K

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Occupation
Marina owner
Country flag
Has anyone with a MME tried charging at a Tesla station? Wonder if it’s any faster?

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Has anyone with a MME tried charging at a Tesla station? Wonder if it’s any faster?
Tesla is proprietary and incompatible with everything else. Think of Tesla like Apple's Lightning connector and everything else being USB-C.

OP
OP
Jen K

Jen K

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Occupation
Marina owner
Country flag
Tesla is proprietary and incompatible with everything else. Think of Tesla like Apple's Lightning connector and everything else being USB-C.
There is an adaptor though, isn’t there?

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Ford has the heater, they have chosen to not use it for en-route preconditioning, only stationary preconditioning. Hopefully the update comes very quickly.
I keep seeing that mentioned there's an update coming for charging preconditioning but I don't know what the original source is.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
There is an adaptor though, isn’t there?
Only for home wallbox chargers for overnight charging. You can get an adapter so you can use a hotel or restaurant's Tesla wall charger. Supercharger won't work for our cars.