First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E ER AWD
Country flag
Hi @TonyH

Re your trip to Swansea, please see my earlier post re: the M48 service area, by the second (northern most) Severn Bridge.

If when heading down you stay on the M5 rather than going on to the M50 and then head over the Severn on the M48 the services are just before the bridge.

Really excellent on my earlier trips 👍

Hope this helps
David

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/uk-customers.588/post-450482
Many thanks @David-HC it looks like a good stopping point 👍

202 miles-ish door to door so should be doable, especially if the software updates update the GOM to be less pessimistic, but I may have to include a splash and dash waypoint to the plan if necessary.

In the ICE days I used to branch off on the A40 to Monmouth, then over the tops to Swansea, but as this is my first trip to Swansea with the Mach E I was think of playing safe and sticking to the motorways.
Sponsored

coolshades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF -> Mach E AWD ER, Rapid Red
Country flag
Rapid Red MME4X at Ionity in Bucks about half an hour ago. we nodded at each other. if you are here, hello

D_MME

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME
Country flag
Hi Team,
I've just been informed on my app of the recall in relation to the"Battery Contactor Overheating." The remedy is a software update...Can anyone explain to me what the software update achieves? The Ford representative couldn't and I wanted to ensure this wasn't going to be affecting the performance of the MME? I'm sure I read somewhere here or on the internet that drivers were complaining of it reducing the power or acceleration of the vehicle. It would be good to know before commencing with the update.
Thanks
Dan

Tyldum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition
Country flag
Hi Team,
I've just been informed on my app of the recall in relation to the"Battery Contactor Overheating." The remedy is a software update...Can anyone explain to me what the software update achieves? The Ford representative couldn't and I wanted to ensure this wasn't going to be affecting the performance of the MME? I'm sure I read somewhere here or on the internet that drivers were complaining of it reducing the power or acceleration of the vehicle. It would be good to know before commencing with the update.
Thanks
Dan
The update will monitor your contactors and put you in a reduced power state if it detects trouble.
This is not a limp-home-mode, you just lose the flat out throttle response. Perfectly drivable.

Now, if you do not have the update and the right conditions occur, you risk a breakdown where the car is undrivable until the parts are replaced.

It does not seem to affect charging speed.

coolshades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF -> Mach E AWD ER, Rapid Red
Country flag
Is it just me or these suddenly seem to be a lot more MMEs about? In my town alone I have seen six new sightings in a week.

Jonno21

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD Long Range Space White
Country flag
Bad Reaction To My Ownership Of An Electric Vehicle 🤪 🤡

I was at a social event today and chatting to various people and things were going well until...

Man: I think that petrol should be sold in gallons again and not litres as we're out of the EU.

Me: I don't think they'll do that as the true cost per gallon will be revealed, they can hide it better when it's litres.

Man: How much does it cost you now extra for petrol?

Me: It doesn't as I have an electric car. It costs me £7.50 for a "full tank" charging at night when I'm in bed asleep. I've saved at least £1,000 on fuel since last September and it's probably more since the price of petrol has gone up.

Man: (With sneer on face). Electric? What range is that, 9 miles?

Me: No, 300 miles. (Disclaimer - I know it will only be this figure on a warm day with a following wind going downhill but I think I was entitled as his figure was silly and ridiculous)

Man: The battery only lasts 6 years and you'll have to get a new one.

Me: Well, actually the warranty on the battery and drivetrain is 8 years so the manufacturer must have some confidence in it and anyway (pre-empting the next statement) the battery pack can be recycled by grinding down and separating the batteries into their component parts and re-using them.

Man: I'll never buy one as they're too expensive and I'll probably be dead when they do become affordable.

Me: (Thinking this obviously and not saying it) - Well from the look of you, you probably will be.

Man: Gave a loud snort and stomped away and shouted back that his Mini does 50 miles to the gallon.

Bear in mind that all through this exchange I was very polite and answered without raising my voice or sounding patronising

Honestly, I'm not making this up. I estimate that he was in his 70's...

bnr33

First Name
Anson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT
Country flag
Hi everyone, I have a question regarding "Mobile Apps", the "Enable" button is greyed out and I don't seem to be able to activate it. I primarily use Apple CarPlay but is curious about what other apps I can add / download to my car but I just can't get it to work. Thanks in advance!!

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD ER
Country flag
Bad Reaction To My Ownership Of An Electric Vehicle 🤪 🤡

I was at a social event today and chatting to various people and things were going well until...

Man: I think that petrol should be sold in gallons again and not litres as we're out of the EU.
l’d have just left the conversation at this point to be honest. I try and avoid those people 😂🤡

Jonno21

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
l’d have just left the conversation at this point to be honest. I try and avoid those people 😂🤡
I was just interested to see where the conversation was going to go. I did think it was going via the Yes/No Brexit route at which point I would have said I've come here for good company not to talk about politics but the curved ball was EV hate at which point I stood my ground (in a non conflicting way). He was being very aggressive in his tone/manner all the way through but it was he who walked off throwing his toys out the pram as the sheer weight of logic was inescapable. I hate FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt). I was also tought that my elders were wise, although not in this case.

I wonder if he was a flat earther? Perhaps I should have asked just for fun? 🤣

Last edited:

ocr_salty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E SR RWD, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
*LONG POST ALERT*

So I have a confession … I’ve been cheating on you all and seeing other people (ie the Facebook Mach-E group AND the WhatsApp group) I can’t help myself - I’m a complete man Mach-E whore.

Anyway - today on the FB group a very nice man called Mike Stark got a response from Ford about a whole load of issues that we discuss on a regular basis and are the basis of a lot of our ownership grumbles.

I’ve been given permission from Mike to post the email he got from Ford here for you guys to see. The answers are good - but they may not make you happy….

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us about your Ford Mustang Mach-E. It is clear from your letter the enthusiasm and passion you have for this car – an enthusiasm and passion that is shared by the entire team.

We are sincerely sorry that you are not completely satisfied with your experience to date and hope the information we have shared below can help to address the status of the issues you’ve raised – each one is slightly different, and we have responded separately.

Electric Opening of Front Luggage Compartment via SYNC 4A, FordPass & Key Fob

• The software update containing the activation of the Front Trunk e-Latch is currently planned for deployment in Europe from mid-July onwards.

• This is planned to be delivered via Ford Power-Up 2.8.3 and should provide the functionality to unlock the front trunk within SYNC 4A without the need to use the lever in the front passenger footwell.

Next Steps
• For the FordPass functionality, we're seeking confirmation that the front trunk can be successfully opened without Phone As A Key on your vehicle.

• For the front trunk button on the key fob, please see the guidance below.

Introduction of Mustang Branded, 5 Button Key

• In the UK market the insurance group rating is regulated by the Association of British Insurers’ research group: Thatcham Research. Thatcham strongly recommend the use of motion sensing keys in the UK to mitigate the risk of “relay attack” thefts of vehicles. For Ford’s competitors in the UK market, this has been a known and significant security flaw in recent history.

• If we were to introduce the Mustang-branded key fob without the motion sensing technology within the UK, Thatcham would increase our group ratings by 2 points. For Mustang Mach-E, with its insurance group rating in the range of 33E to 40E (excluding GT), this would result in a significant rise in premium costs for all customers. Currently we do not plan to do this.

• The introduction of the Mustang branded key fob with motion sensing is timed for 24MY globally (October 2023). I would like to be able to do this sooner but as yet don’t have a firm plan to do that.

Next Step
• We recognise how important an issue this is to you and we have escalated the situation to the global Mustang Mach-E program management team to investigate the feasibility of accelerating the timeframe for introducing the new key.

Automatic Walkaway Locking (WAL)

• In the UK market, Thatcham also strongly recommend that the vehicle is double locked as the default locking setting. This disables the internal door release to mitigate the risk of non-authorised personnel breaking windows to open the doors from the inside.

• However, we also have a requirement that any automatic / passive locking process must not accidently trap passengers in the vehicle – should the driver walk away with the keys. (E.g. quick stop at the local shop scenario.

• To meet both requirements we would need to disable double locking for Walkaway Locking and add an audible reminder that the vehicle is less secure. This would take the form of a horn chirp, which would need to be loud enough to override background noise at a distance. We were not able to integrate this at launch as part of the Whole Vehicle Type Approval.

• If we were to enable this feature, without audible warning, Thatcham would increase our group ratings by the same 2 points, with the same significant rise in premium costs for all customers.

• We are working with our development team to identify if it is possible to add the horn chirp. This is being investigated but I don’t have firm timings to support an introduction.

Next Step
• We have put forward a proposal to our Product Development team that we believe could secure approval from Thatcham.

• The feasibility of this proposal is currently being investigated and we're awaiting the outcome to be confirmed that it can be offered to UK customers retrospectively.

Vehicle tracker integrated into SYNC 4A

• We welcome the proposal here and we have discussed it with our Security and Connectivity teams but the integration of a vehicle tracker using the SYNC 4A system is not something that can be offered on 21MY or 22.25MY vehicles.

• We recognise there are lots of enhancements that you will be thinking of through your daily use of Mustang Mach-E. This is why our Connectivity team have recently set up the FordPass Community to give you an opportunity to suggest ideas for future software updates. You can register to engage with the Community at the following link: https://fpcommunity.ford.com/

• For reference, SecuriAlert is a FordPass feature that is free to all connected vehicle customers. While it is not recognised by insurers and does not offer vehicle tracking capability, it does provide peace of mind and assurance.You can send a notification to your smartphone if it identifies any vehicle activity, including attempts to open doors or gain access with a key.

You can activate SecuriAlert when you are away from your vehicle. The feature is quickly and easily switched on or off – “armed” or “disarmed” – using the FordPass app.

Here’s a video link with an overview of the technology:

Charge Curve

• The enhancement to the DC high-power charging speed between 80-90% state of charge is initially being delivered as part of the 21P22 software update.

• UK vehicles affected by the Windscreen & Panoramic Roof Service Actions are receiving this update as part of the repair work being carried out by our dealer network.

• If your vehicle isn’t part of the windscreen and panoramic roof service action, the update is planned to be deployed to EU vehicles over-the-air from the end of March 2022 onwards, as part of Ford Power-Up 2.3.0.

Insurance

• We have discussed this at length with our Insurance and Security teams.

• We have consulted Thatcham and the Association of British Insurers. Based on the volume of UK vehicles that we have now delivered, we have seen a very small number of customers who have unfortunately been refused insurance and we are trying to ascertain the reasoning behind this decision for those customers, given the competitive insurance group ratings that Mustang Mach-E has achieved.

• We have reached out to our FordInsure team. Their insurance products are underwritten by Admiral and they have advised they do not require a vehicle tracker for Mustang Mach-E.

• We have also spoken with the Aviva Vehicle Insurance team to gain a better understanding of their current position based on the customer feedback that we have seen. They have confirmed they are underwriting Mustang Mach-E and we agreed to retain an open dialogue moving forwards.

Next Step
• We will continue to work with the Association of British Insurers and Thatcham to ensure that Mustang Mach-E remains competitive in the marketplace in relation to the all-electric competition without compromising vehicle security.

Where our vehicle strategy is centred around electrifying our business, our focus for the last 2+ years has been on training our dealer partners to meet the needs of the rapidly growing EV demand, ensuring they can confidently and successfully service and repair EV products. A significant proportion of our dealer partners have technicians trained to the required Institute of Motor Industry certification levels to confidently work on EV products.

Where product failures have occurred after launch or after vehicle delivery, our technically trained team work closely with our dealer partners as a priority to determine and implement a repair within the workshop. Whilst some delays are longer than we would anticipate, these are unavoidable due to the extensive work required to replicate a unique fault and determine and confidently deploy the correct repair procedure. It is not a reflection of lack of training or lack of desire to provide a satisfactory aftersales experience. Every effort is made to keep this timeframe to an absolute minimum, but in some instances, factors out of our dealer partners’ control impact the leads times of repair.

We appreciate the feedback you’ve given us and recognise that we don’t always get things right the first time but will continue to work hard to deliver a satisfactory experience and outcome for all of our loyal customers.

Executive Office, Ford Executive Office
Ford of Britain and Ireland
Just stumbled on this post again, it's now passed mid-July so where's the frunk opener?

SashaLondon

First Name
Sasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD SR
Country flag
I had a recall notice in the Ford app so I have booked in to do the software update next week.

On another note, the point about having to recycle the batteries in electric cars seems actually to be a red herring. I heard that there is actually not much demand for recycling yet as the batteries are still in the vehicles and are working well enough not to be scrapped. There are Nissan leafs with 12-year-old batteries that are still on the road.
After they are in cars they can be all put into containers to work for long-term energy storage for power supply.
So as of yet the point about the batteries getting scrapped after a few years is total nonsense.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
Just stumbled on this post again, it's now passed mid-July so where's the frunk opener?
I wouldn't hold your breath. We have only just had 2.7 and that has only been a very small selection of UK cars. Personally, I don't see what the issue with the manual release, but then I don't open it that often.

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
I think that’s a question for Ford. 🤣

The electronic frunk release has been available on newer builds with the latest factory software for a while, but as usual the Job#1 cars are playing the waiting game.

I don’t think they’ve managed to deliver any promised OTA feature updates on time yet. They normally arrive about 3-6 months late 🙈 November maybe?

Jonno21

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had a recall notice in the Ford app so I have booked in to do the software update next week.

On another note, the point about having to recycle the batteries in electric cars seems actually to be a red herring. I heard that there is actually not much demand for recycling yet as the batteries are still in the vehicles and are working well enough not to be scrapped. There are Nissan leafs with 12-year-old batteries that are still on the road.
After they are in cars they can be all put into containers to work for long-term energy storage for power supply.
So as of yet the point about the batteries getting scrapped after a few years is total nonsense.
I presume you're referring to my "encounter" in a post above. Yes, you're correct about energy storage use and all options should be on the table. When you're confronted by an "EV hater" you have to know when to stop as reasoned argument goes out the window for these people and you wonder if their brain can take any more reasoned argument. I wonder if he knew what long term energy storage would have meant so by then I just couldn't be bothered to go into any more detail. He'd stopped listening when the words "electric car" had been uttered. Such a shame really.

Ironically, there was an electric car in the car park of the venue (not mine) so I wonder if he hurled abuse at the owner of that one. :)

TomW

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Hi all,

So, car has just returned from the dealer for the latest recall (the overheating one). All my saved locations have disappeared meaning I can’t change the charge level from 100% as it states it has to be charged once for a location to be saved. I don’t remember this being a thing originally…..
Ford app maps also now thinks I am in Berlin.

Anyone had any similar issues after a recall?

Cheers guys.
Sponsored