TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
First cars start shipping late November according to plan should get 10,000 done before end of year.
By "10,000 done", I assume you mean assembled by year-end, right? Rather than all 10,000 delivered to dealer lots for customer pick-up by year end?

Any estimate for how long it usually takes a completed vehicle to get shipped from the Cuautitlan Plant to a dealership in the US? I've been guessing around a month for all the queueing, loading, transfers, unloading and delivery to take place.
Sponsored

SD_Solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Leaf SV 2019 Leaf SL Plus Ford F250 Jeep Cherokee First Edition Grabber Blue Order
Country flag
Any estimate for how long it usually takes a completed vehicle to get shipped from the Cuautitlan Plant to a dealership in the US? I've been guessing around a month for all the queueing, loading, transfers, unloading and delivery to take place.
The Ford Plant just north Of Mexico City is located very favorable for US deliveries.
It is only a short 850 mile trip up to San Antonia, TX and a Los Angles delivery is only about 1800 miles --- Cuautitlan is about a 500 miles shorter delivery to LA than from a Detroit, MI. plant.

I think a 2 week average delivery time would be a lot closer.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The Ford Plant just north Of Mexico City is located very favorable for US deliveries.
It is only a short 850 mile trip up to San Antonia, TX and a Los Angles delivery is only about 1800 miles --- Cuautitlan is about a 500 miles shorter delivery to LA than from a Detroit, MI. plant.

Let's hope. It's not so much the distance I wonder about (once you get it on a train you get 90% of the way there in a handful of days), it's all the other stuff I'm guessing adds the most time. How long they collect on the lot at Cuautitlan... getting them on train cars... transferring from trains to semis to get the rest of the way, etc. But yeah, it seems like that could be done in 2 weeks.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Let's hope. It's not so much the distance I wonder about (once you get it on a train you get 90% of the way there in a handful of days), it's all the other stuff I'm guessing adds the most time. How long they collect on the lot at Cuautitlan... getting them on train cars... transferring from trains to semis to get the rest of the way, etc. But yeah, it seems like that could be done in 2 weeks.
Anyone up for a road trip?

SD_Solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Leaf SV 2019 Leaf SL Plus Ford F250 Jeep Cherokee First Edition Grabber Blue Order
Country flag
This is from an area of auto plants that have shipped millions of vehicles via trains, so they probably have the logistics down pretty well.

Even at a blazing speed of 40 mph, the trip up to San Antonio would be less than 24 hrs.

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
All of us can guess on the way they will arrive. I have read all the posts and they
are all great guesses. My Jeep Wrangler JL was ordered and my wait was 5 1/2
months. This was a new JL start up and the Jeep Forum followed it everyday.
I saw them ship to west coast and Canada. Mine sat and waited for a carrier.
The point is I live 65 miles from the plant. So you will find nothing they do
will make sense. (built in 4 months -- sat in yard 45 days)

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
All of us can guess on the way they will arrive. I have read all the posts and they
A few months ago I found a link for OTD (Order-to-Delivery) times for the Cuautitlan plant to the US from a few years ago. It was 59 days (average). But it's hard to know how much of that was the order-to-build time, and how much was the built-to-delivered time (which is what we care about for this situation).

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
A few months ago I found a link for OTD (Order-to-Delivery) times for the Cuautitlan plant to the US from a few years ago. It was 59 days (average). But it's hard to know how much of that was the order-to-build time, and how much was the built-to-delivered time (which is what we care about for this situation).
Almost all the Jeep JL were ordered. Dealer stock was not in early build.

SD_Solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Actually, I should have used Laredo, TX as the entry border station for the train and that’s about a 675 mile trip North from the Ford plant.

I have read that the train still has to come to a complete stop on the bridge across the Rio Grande and a crew swap made from the Mexican crew to a US crew before proceeding on.

There are on- going negotiations to have the working crew just continue across the border until the next stop and then make the crew change as is done on Canadian border crossings.

I flew International Routes for an Airline for over 30 years before I retired. Sure am glad we didn’t have to make a crew change, as we say crossed the Chinese border going into Shanghai. :)

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I ordered my Focus Electric--they didn't stock those at all, they were order only.
My dealership is/was right across the street from the plant.
It only took about 3 months to get the car. They had to load it up on a car carrier, drive the truck across the street, and unload it at the dealership--they couldn't just drive the car across the street.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I ordered my Focus Electric--they didn't stock those at all, they were order only.
My dealership is/was right across the street from the plant.
It only took about 3 months to get the car. They had to load it up on a car carrier, drive the truck across the street, and unload it at the dealership--they couldn't just drive the car across the street.
And did they charge you like $1,000 D&D?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
And did they charge you like $1,000 D&D?
Nope. We've been using that dealership for years and have a really good rapport with them.

Now, at the same time, I had a coworker who also ordered an identical Focus Electric. In his case he walked into a different local dealership which he's never been to before and ordered it. He had a bunch of issues, including the dealer being completely clueless about the Focus Electric (at one point during a service visit the service tech told him there was a problem with his 12V charger when referring to the J1772 connector!? LOL).

Our two Focuses:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Update on Mach-E launch progress from engineering friends in Mexico twoofakind

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag

Two weeks seems like a good estimate. Unfortunately it's about 2000 miles further from where I am compared to if it was coming from Dearborn.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Over 50K now Dearborn confirmed orders we were approaching . It’s now a LG chem battery supply chain issue

do the batteries come together ready to install or have to put together there in the packs?

We build the battery here.

so are the first mache all going to the first edition are they going to make some premium mache at the start also

First Editions will ship first. After that, it’s all order schedule.
Just send me your VIN when you get it

when will i get that

October most likely
Maybe November

you guys have alot going on not going to be many delivered before December i bet.

First cars start shipping late November according to plan should get 10,000 done before end of year.
That's consistent with my calculations: at 256/day, 6 day work weeks, 1,536/week, 12,288 but the end of the year.

Thanks!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
so are the first mache all going to the first edition are they going to make some premium mache at the start also

First Editions will ship first. After that, it’s all order schedule.
Well, that pretty well cinches it. First Edition buyers will most likely test drive their own cars.
Sponsored