Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Escape, Red Ford Mach-E on order
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
I'm hardly the one to be responding, but that's not stopped me so far on this forum so ...

PPF is a clear vinyl-like film that can be applied over parts of or the entire surface of your car. It will protect the paint from minor rock damage and the like. Minor. Minor. It may or may not provide UV protection and it is removable from painted metal surfaces without peeling the paint off. From painted plastic surfaces, that's another story I'm told.

I personally have zero experience with PPF as there is literally no one on this island I live on that does either vinyl wraps (like to change my MME from Infinite blue to Chevy Hugger Orange ) or PPF protective films.

Your car will need to be spotlessly clean, polished, and shiny with no swirl marks, etc before the protective film is applied.

Ceramic coatings bond with a very clean, swirl mark free paint job and create an ultra-smooth, ultra-shiny protective layer. Dirt can literally be rinsed off at times. It bonds with paint, glass, wheels, headlamps, plastic, etc. It does provide UV protection but provides no minor scratch protection from flying pebbles.

There are various types (or grades if you prefer) of Ceramic Coatings. Some are spray ons that might last 6 months. Others are professionally applied due to the solvents used, consist of multiple thin layers, and can be guaranteed for as long as you own the car. These vary in price from inexpensive (enough) to How much do you have, give it all to us. Between the extreme high end professional ceramic coatings with lifetime warranties and the cheap sprays are various other types of professionally applied ceramic coatings and higher-end do-it-yourself products.

All these require meticulous attention to prepping the car before applying a ceramic coating, whether it's a better DIY or a more reasonably priced professional-grade coating. A better DIY product should last about 5 years if applied properly and if the car is cleaned (as in washed) every 2 weeks or so and maybe an occasional booster spray on it. Stuff sitting on the paint is murder -- coated or not.

I'll have the MME (whenever I get it) ceramic coated. Why? Because there is no PPF businesses on this island and we have a big UV issue in Hawaii. It murders our cars. I have little experience with DIY products outside of Avalon Kings Armor Shield 9 on my Polaris Ranger, but it looks really nice. My Tacoma, on the other hand, is 14 years old and was waxed religiously for over a decade with high-end carnauba wax, it looks very bad.

Others have a lot more realistic experience with either or both of these. Then there's the 57 million advertising hits you get with Google search.

Good luck.

Thank you very much! I am in Northern California and fog and ocean spray is more of an issue. Where I park for work is just a stroll to the beach so salt is always a concern.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I have to remark that 1000 posts shouldn't break the forums (if its well designed) as that is simply an arbitrary limit "humans" have decided on (a number that would really break it would be closer to some power of two, 2^16, or more likely 2^32 or 2^64 these days--yeah software engineer here hence the handle "can't spell geek without a double-e").

231 ;)

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I have to remark that 1000 posts shouldn't break the forums (if its well designed) as that is simply an arbitrary limit "humans" have decided on (a number that would really break it would be closer to some power of two, 2^16, or more likely 2^32 or 2^64 these days--yeah software engineer here hence the handle "can't spell geek without a double-e").

231 ;)
Somewhat off topic . . . I went on a cruise several years ago where there was a forum that allowed you to meet and talk to people who were going to be on your same cruise on a thread you would establish. It was a Disney Panama Canal Cruise.
We got extremely talkative up to the cruise so much that we did reach some limit on the board and we were slowing their server down. We would even play a game that everyone would try to hit a “000” post. I think we were up to about 80,000 posts when the forum owner had to start a new policy limiting threads to 4,000 posts so the servers would not slow down.
So we then had to start a new thread every time we reached or got close to 4,000 posts. Trip reports and photos during and after the cruise ended us up at 21 additional threads. Almost 80,000 MORE posts!
We have a ways to go.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

231 ;)
Perhaps without meaning to do so, you just neatly explained why we're much more likely to expose a server limit at 1000 posts than at 9,223,372,036,854,775,808 (2^63) posts. Humans wrote this bloody software. We are prone to making predictable, "arbitrary number" choices.

= 1000-771

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Perhaps without meaning to do so, you just neatly explained why we're much more likely to expose a server limit at 1000 posts than at 9,223,372,036,854,775,808 (2^63) posts. Humans wrote this bloody software. We are prone to making predictable, "arbitrary number" choices.

= 1000-771
Possibly but I think a prior post pointed out a different problem (also due to human engineering) in that as the number of posts grows the number of posts the system has to cycle through (to paginate, etc.) grows with it and thus slows down loading. This may make it less usable as the posts grow but not give it at hard limit like 1000 posts and boom dead.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Possibly but I think a prior post pointed out a different problem (also due to human engineering) in that as the number of posts grows the number of posts the system has to cycle through (to paginate, etc.) grows with it and thus slows down loading. This may make it less usable as the posts grow but not give it at hard limit like 1000 posts and boom dead.
Agreed. This is also likely, since many of the software engineers I've worked with don't seem to understand data structures and how to appropriately choose them.

=1000-773

Last edited:

MerryBrown

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
Agreed. This is also likely, since many of the software engineers I've worked with don't seem to understand data structures and how to appropriate choose them.

=1000-773
However, the guy who started this forum seems to be pretty good at it. Now I am not an engineer, but I have been impressed by the functions built in. Then again maybe I am easily impressed ?

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Sold), 2013 Ford Fusion (borrowing until MME gets here), Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I'm hardly the one to be responding, but that's not stopped me so far on this forum so ...

PPF is a clear vinyl-like film that can be applied over parts of or the entire surface of your car. It will protect the paint from minor rock damage and the like. Minor. Minor. It may or may not provide UV protection and it is removable from painted metal surfaces without peeling the paint off. From painted plastic surfaces, that's another story I'm told.

I personally have zero experience with PPF as there is literally no one on this island I live on that does either vinyl wraps (like to change my MME from Infinite blue to Chevy Hugger Orange ) or PPF protective films.

Your car will need to be spotlessly clean, polished, and shiny with no swirl marks, etc before the protective film is applied.

Ceramic coatings bond with a very clean, swirl mark free paint job and create an ultra-smooth, ultra-shiny protective layer. Dirt can literally be rinsed off at times. It bonds with paint, glass, wheels, headlamps, plastic, etc. It does provide UV protection but provides no minor scratch protection from flying pebbles.

There are various types (or grades if you prefer) of Ceramic Coatings. Some are spray ons that might last 6 months. Others are professionally applied due to the solvents used, consist of multiple thin layers, and can be guaranteed for as long as you own the car. These vary in price from inexpensive (enough) to How much do you have, give it all to us. Between the extreme high end professional ceramic coatings with lifetime warranties and the cheap sprays are various other types of professionally applied ceramic coatings and higher-end do-it-yourself products.

All these require meticulous attention to prepping the car before applying a ceramic coating, whether it's a better DIY or a more reasonably priced professional-grade coating. A better DIY product should last about 5 years if applied properly and if the car is cleaned (as in washed) every 2 weeks or so and maybe an occasional booster spray on it. Stuff sitting on the paint is murder -- coated or not.

I'll have the MME (whenever I get it) ceramic coated. Why? Because there is no PPF businesses on this island and we have a big UV issue in Hawaii. It murders our cars. I have little experience with DIY products outside of Avalon Kings Armor Shield 9 on my Polaris Ranger, but it looks really nice. My Tacoma, on the other hand, is 14 years old and was waxed religiously for over a decade with high-end carnauba wax, it looks very bad.

Others have a lot more realistic experience with either or both of these. Then there's the 57 million advertising hits you get with Google search.

Good luck.

I keep getting emails from Avalon King and seeing ads for it on YouTube videos. How do you like it? And why aren't you putting it on your MME?
I was leaning towards going that direction after seeing how expensive the wrap would be. I think that Chevy Hugger Orange would look incredible on a MME though.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I keep getting emails from Avalon King and seeing ads for it on YouTube videos. How do you like it? And why aren't you putting it on your MME?
I actually haven't decided if I'll have the MME done professionally with a high-end ceramic coating or if I'll do it myself. The prep work on a car compared to my mule is a lot more, but well worth it. I choose the Ranger because it has cheapish plastic painted parts that can be easily removed and replaced if I finished and had a "What have I done?" moment. Far from it. Every bit of exposed metal, all painted surfaces, headlamps, windshield, and all the wheels have 2 coats. I was quite happy. I also have zero experience with ceramic coatings, I was always a "Caranauba!" because reasons person.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Update on Mach-E launch progress from engineering friends in Mexico ranger 1

I made a fair number of mistakes but know better now. You'd be surprised out little you really need to get a proper coating. And how quickly you wipe the excess off (at about 72F when I did this, it was under 2 minutes.).

The advantage of a professional job: I don't have to do the work and there are multiple thin layers instead of 1 or 2 thicker ones. Disadvantage: $$$$

What I want changes from day to day though. Yesterday it was CeramicPro at an above average shop in Kona. Today it's Avalon King. Take care of the car, an occasional boost from a readily available spray-on, and 5 years is likely.

I was leaning towards going that direction after seeing how expensive the wrap would be. I think that Chevy Hugger Orange would look incredible on a MME though.
I picked Hugger Orange just to get a reaction. I actually do not like orange cars anymore because of a very nasty former neighbor who drove an orange car or two (the last one was an Exxxxx). We moved. If I was buying a GT I'd be lost as I'm not overly fond of Grabber Blue either. But there are no places to get a vehicle wrapped or have PPF near here anyway.

Couple more pic's so you can see what this little project turned out like. I'm quite pleased with it and unlike all the other mules around here, it stays clean, and is easy to keep it that way.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Update on Mach-E launch progress from engineering friends in Mexico r3

Ford Mustang Mach-E Update on Mach-E launch progress from engineering friends in Mexico r2

Last edited:

MerryBrown

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
Hmmm, ceramic coating being hydrophobic, do any of you ever tested that on the rear camera ? I'm wondering if it could be THE solution to have a clean rear camera in the winter ... if you don't know what it look like in quebec ?:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Update on Mach-E launch progress from engineering friends in Mexico 1599426429800
That reminds me of what my cars used to look like in Wisconsin in winter. That is a big part of why I live in California now. No offense to Badgers! I still go home to visit! :)

janitorjim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150 2001, explorer xlt 2013
Country flag
can I suggest some ground rules that the 1000th post can not come from a person that has written post 991-999 and must contain legit reference to the topic of this post?

1000-779 carry the 1 raise to the power of pi and add avogadro's number