Update on Mach-E launch progress from engineering friends in Mexico

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I think so. I used the voice commands to take us to search for the seat adjustment settings on the owners manual and it worked. I think I saw a way to set owner preference but I didnt change anything. There was a setting in there for Peter or Paul I think so I didnt want to mess with it too much. I presume that is the name of the current caretaker of the car until it gets turned over to the PR and Marketing team on Monday...
How well does voice work? I didn't get a chance to play with that.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
And there are giant banner messages that display if the charge door or front hood are open and you attempt to put the vehicle into a motion setting.
I wonder if the car won't even move if either is open?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Well that helps a little. Removes one step. Still though, without just a button right at the hood to hit, it's gonna be less convenient to open than the doors or the liftgate.

Ironically, that's one downside of not using an actual key to start cars anymore. I used to always have key fob in hand approaching the car when a key was needed, so it was easy to hit a fob button. But now I have to go fishing in my pocket to find it. And opening a phone app (often in bright sun approaching the car) can be a bit of a pain.

I know, first world problems. ?
Actually, I saw a youtube video months ago where a guy put an RFID sticker in an inconspicuous spot on his model 3, and apparently the corresponding app could be configured to emulate menu clicks. So it would trigger the frunk release whenever he scanned the RFID on his phone. That's a lot easier than having to unlock the phone, go into the fordpass app and then 3 menu clicks.

Az MachE

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
I'm afraid the frunk is going to be more trouble than it's worth most of the time. Sounds like it'll be pretty much like opening the hood of the car, or the trunk of a sedan. The edges will probably be dirty, and it's more effort to either pull the inside release first, or fish for the fob in my pocket, or open the phone app. Then fish under the hood for a release (I assume there's one) and manually pull it up.

All the doors just take are a quick button push. The liftgate has a button or foot activation with a power opening. But the frunk hood is manual.

I suspect the frunk will just become long-term storage and/or infrequently-used spare cargo space.
I agree with MerryBrown. After seeing the frunk and trying to close it, not as impressed, but I am impressed with the rear cargo space, ease of open and closing. I and the wife will use the cargo space for sure. The frunk on the test car today here in Phoenix required considerable force to close it. Men and women had to either slam it shut which would be difficult for vertically challenged folk, or do a hard chest compression like CPR in order to finish the lock mechanism after it was down.

Matthewmohan

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E First Edition Grabber Blue
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
Hm, I guess I see mine differently. But then I live in a different climate.
Yesterday I was doing some grocery shopping with my family at Stew Leonard’s (If you don’t know, you need to) and this women drops her groceries into the frunk of her 911 targa and my wife says now that’s a funny scene and I said well soon enough you’ll be able to do the same.” To which she replied “Oh I forgot the Mach E has one of those” and I replied “It does but so will a new 911?” A man can dream...

FPLiptak

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yesterday I was doing some grocery shopping with my family at Stew Leonard’s (If you don’t know, you need to) and this women drops her groceries into the frunk of her 911 targa and my wife says now that’s a funny scene and I said well soon enough you’ll be able to do the same.” To which she replied “Oh I forgot the Mach E has one of those” and I replied “It does but so will a new 911?” A man can dream...
I'm not sure if that is dreaming or delusional.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Agree. The seat has plenty of range. When you turn off the car it lowers and moves back so it would be hard to get a measurement of how high it goes with someone my size in the seat.
This has come up elsewhere on here in some thread or another but this is very common in Ford vehicles. My 2013 Fusion has it - it's referred to as "Easy Entry/Exit" but as I've said on here before, I just call it "the old man seat move." And yes, I have it turned on. :)

• Haha
Reactions: pb3

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Actually, I saw a youtube video months ago where a guy put an RFID sticker in an inconspicuous spot on his model 3, and apparently the corresponding app could be configured to emulate menu clicks. So it would trigger the frunk release whenever he scanned the RFID on his phone. That's a lot easier than having to unlock the phone, go into the fordpass app and then 3 menu clicks.
One still needs to open the phone, go into the scanning app and initiate scanning.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
iirc, @trutolife27 posted that the go ahead for mp2 was given a few days ago. That should be the start of real customer car production on the 26th.
Yep. An interview with top execs confirmed OT to proceed to MP2 was granted 2 days early. They didn't say it would start early, though. So we assume it is still 26 October.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The ponys are waiting outside the factory!

Screenshot_20201016-215621_Instagram.jpg
I just heard from my source in Cuautitlan: Those cars are gone already. As of this afternoon there's only one lonely pony on the lot.

Another flash: they haven't used trains at that plant in 15 years. Everything goes out by truck. Since we know at least one of these was inspected on 10/12 and seen in Phoenix Dearborn on 10/16 we can knock most of the shipping off the time estimates. That should mean only a week from production to dealer in busy markets.

Last edited: