Update on Mach-E launch progress from engineering friends in Mexico

RunningHorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
Next week is going to be so busy. So plenty of news and videos I'm sure of for our thanksgiving week. Very thankful for the ford workers making the Mache. Hell of a job to not fall behind.

Have a statement for you. Elon Said he was shocked at how ford keeps up this year compared to all other auto manufacturers do to covid. They changed some of their supply design to follow Ford's pattern.
Source on the elon part?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I wonder if power needs to be applied two separate times to get the double pull action on the release mechanism? Does the lever in the cabin signal the release module?

No cable?
I am guessing not.....or there would be a pull release in the front compartment vs a push button.
Opening the frunk with the lever next to the brake pedal feels very much like a traditional mechanical pull release to me.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
So who wants to be the first to ask about this during today’s live event? (Frunk divider)

makooy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E RWD SR Lucid Red TP+
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
So who wants to be the first to ask about this during today’s live event? (Frunk divider)
Already did with the EV-Experience in Rotterdam, NL and with the Drive-along's in NL.
Answers where not very usefull and different each time.
Even the NL dealers and Ford NL don't know.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
Already did with the EV-Experience in Rotterdam, NL and with the Drive-along's in NL.
Answers where not very usefull and different each time.
Even the NL dealers and Ford NL don't know.
I quite like surprises so I will wait until I get the car and then see

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I'll certainly ask, I accepted my "VIP" invite and plan to join in for the show.

In my opinion, they need to clarify the reasoning. I have almost no use in my daily life for the frunk, but they certainly played up it's usefulness during initial launch and throughout the summer. The dividers themselves are fine (so long as removable) in my opinion, but having the only means of access being inside the vehicle completely negates most of the usefulness.

If it's just that they're waiting on some sort of legal obstacle to be overcome, they should let us know. If there's no hope of electronic opening for us in the US, we should also know.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I'll certainly ask, I accepted my "VIP" invite and plan to join in for the show.

In my opinion, they need to clarify the reasoning. I have almost no use in my daily life for the frunk, but they certainly played up it's usefulness during initial launch and throughout the summer. The dividers themselves are fine (so long as removable) in my opinion, but having the only means of access being inside the vehicle completely negates most of the usefulness.

If it's just that they're waiting on some sort of legal obstacle to be overcome, they should let us know. If there's no hope of electronic opening for us in the US, we should also know.
I am going to be on too. Planning on taking my lunch at that time.

Ron Bonifas

First Name
Ronbon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln LS Ford edge Mach e RT1 rapid red
Occupation
Ford service tech
Country flag
no mention of front compartment divider in shop manuals, it definitely has a traditional cable connected to the inside release, also warning in bold print no person should ever be placed in front compartment oh, well duh

SteveUk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache with crap keys
Country flag
is there a reason why electronic opening is so important? just asking to try to understand what the issue is.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
is there a reason why electronic opening is so important? just asking to try to understand what the issue is.
If you are outside of the front of your car, and want to put your groceries in the Frunk, it would be nice to be able to open it from the phone rather than open the door and pull the handle. Likewise if you have something in there, it will be at times more convenient to pop it open from your phone rather than have to open the door and pull the handle. To be honest, I will probably use that space more for item storage than item transport (like an emergency kit, etc.). If you are frunkgating, it would be also nice to access your shrimp and wings from your phone. :rolleyes:

Flydivesurf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER, Model X
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Usability.

The dividers render the render the front trunk fairly useless for storing groceries or much of anything else. That makes it wasted space to some. Add in the lack of a hitch, even for something as simple as a bicycle rack, on NA cars and you have 2 strikes on the car for many people. Fortunately, this isn’t American baseball.

The Frunk issues likely are indirectly related to the NTHSA safety regulations. If a standard size small child dummy can fit in a trunk then an interior release is required. What that release has to do is dependent upon vehicle speed.

With the manual talking about the divider being the determinative factor for whether you have remote opening of the Frunk, this leads me to believe that the divider is there to satisfy the three year old child rule because the interior Frunk release is not working as planned. Because if it was, there’d be no need for the divider. It doesn’t tell me why the remote release of the Frunk isn’t a thing on NA cars though. Unless the remote release and emergency interior Frunk release are somehow connected.

The remote opening is a convenience factor for people. Without it, you’ll have to unlock the car, open the drivers door, double pull the release then load your groceries. Wait, no first you’d have to remove the Frunk divider. And that brings us back to why it’s there to begin with.

Last edited:

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
If you are outside of the front of your car, and want to put your groceries in the Frunk, it would be nice to be able to open it from the phone rather than open the door and pull the handle. Likewise if you have something in there, it will be at times more convenient to pop it open from your phone rather than have to open the door and pull the handle. To be honest, I will probably use that space more for item storage than item transport (like an emergency kit, etc.). If you are frunkgating, it would be also nice to access your shrimp and wings from your phone. :rolleyes:
Isn't there a company that made an aftermarket electronic release for the Tesla Frunk? Pretty sure I saw that on YouTube somewhere. The user could then open the frunk via their phone. It shouldn't have to be that way, but it will be interesting to see all the aftermarket options that are available for the MME.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I no longer care about the divider per se (I can easily take it out). But I do care about losing electronic release for it.

I've already been thinking that I probably won't be using the frunk much anyway because the power liftgate in the back is far easier to use. But if the only way to get into it now is opening the driver door, bending down, and pulling a manual hood release twice (rather than an easy button on the fob, or screen), I know I'll use it even less.

It's not a big deal, but it is one of those of those little things that just annoys. It's apparently not Ford's fault, it's some stupid nanny state regulation.

Last edited:

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
We cant use our phone as PAAK is not available in the UK so we will just have to stick with the good old cable method ?
Sponsored