Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yeah, it's all relative. I'd rather get to sit in a pre-production than nothing at all. If one came through tomorrow, I'd jump at the chance to sit in one. A production demo would of course be even better but they haven't even started making those yet.
Exactly!

If @ajmartineau were invited to drive a PP tomorrow, I don't think the answer would be "No, I'll wait for a real one"! ?
Sponsored

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
You are correct! Then when my MME hits the lot, I'll have to pay attention to all the changes.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
Yeah, it's all relative. I'd rather get to sit in a pre-production than nothing at all. If one came through tomorrow, I'd jump at the chance to sit in one. A production demo would of course be even better but they haven't even started making those yet.
I was lucky enough to get the chance to see one in the flesh and even sit in it back in March. I can assure you I wasn't disappointed (apart from the fact it was LHD). It was comfortable, had a good driving position (for me anyway) with comfortable seating, although I think UK production seats might be different. Room in back was quite good. I can only surmise and hope that the production versions will be even better. Knew instantly that I had made the right decision in ordering one. Just want it NOW. Having said that, all good things come to those that wait.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I was lucky enough to get the chance to see one in the flesh and even sit in it back in March. I can assure you I wasn't disappointed (apart from the fact it was LHD). It was comfortable, had a good driving position (for me anyway) with comfortable seating, although I think UK production seats might be different. Room in back was quite good. I can only surmise and hope that the production versions will be even better. Knew instantly that I had made the right decision in ordering one. Just want it NOW. Having said that, all good things come to those that wait.
What did you think of visibility out the back window using the mirror and the size of rear/side blind spots?

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
What did you think of visibility out the back window using the mirror and the size of rear/side blind spots?
Drove lorries for 6 years and vans for 10. Both had metal rear windows. Who needs rear view mirrors. They are only there because they have to be by law. You don't have to USE them. I use side mirrors so didn't really pay attention to that aspect of the car. I was more interested in comfortabilty of the driving position. Bit difficult to test blind spots in a closed in portion of a car showroom

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Drove lorries for 6 years and vans for 10. Both had metal rear windows. Who needs rear view mirrors. They are only there because they have to be by law. You don't have to USE them. I use side mirrors so didn't really pay attention to that aspect of the car. I was more interested in comfortabilty of the driving position.
Interesting "perspective".

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
I know I’m late to this thread, but may I ask how tall you are? I’m 6’3” and seat adjustments are always a make or break issue. Thx!

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
I know I’m late to this thread, but may I ask how tall you are? I’m 6’3” and seat adjustments are always a make or break issue. Thx!
The new CEO of Ford stands 6 foot 6 inches and fits easily into the 'back" seat. The front has plenty of room.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
5'11. I like to sit high and just touched roof with seat in highest position. In the back I had plenty of headroom

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
5'11. I like to sit high and just touched roof with seat in highest position. In the back I had plenty of headroom
Good to hear the power seat could be raised so much that you could actually hit the roof! (Although again, those probably weren't the production seats. But they should be close, particularly the power mechanism.)

Since you said "roof" instead of "glass", I assume that was not a panoramic roof version. The regular roof ceiling protrudes about 1.5" lower than the glass one.

Only problem with relying too much on raising the power seat a bunch (instead of the car floor being taller) is getting in/out of the car without hitting your head. That can be a pain in the neck to duck a lot.

Bigfeets

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MMe premium order. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Lrd
Occupation
retired
Country flag
This thread is not up to date. So, this is what I've learned since joining the ordering queue in Dec 2021. 2021 production was concluded at end of November 2021. Remaining backlog of 2021 orders will be filled with 2022 production starting in January. About 25,000 2021 MME were allocated to the US, half of that to ZEV States. Some part of the Cuautitlan Plant MME production was done by all female work force. The attached MME production shows a decline near end of model year 2021 due primarily to microchip shortage. (MME takes about 1,000.) Ford and GlobalFoundries announced a non-binding agreement that could involve increasing production capacity of microchips for Ford's current lineup and performing joint research and development on several categories of chips that are likely to be key to future cars, such as battery-management systems and self-driving systems.
Ford CEO Jim Farley announced that the U.S. auto giant aims to achieve an annual output of more than 200,000 units by 2023 in North America and Europe for Mustang Mach-E. The Explorer and Aviator EVs were originally planned for mid-2023, and have been pushed back to at least December 2024. Production has also reportedly been shifted away from that factory for those future models. MME production plant in China began producing for that market.

ford-mustang-mach-e-production-November-2021-b.jpg

Cuautitlan4.jpg

Bigfeets

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MMe premium order. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Lrd
Occupation
retired
Country flag
background:
The Ford Mach-E is built in Mexico. The Cuautitlan Stamping and Assembly Plant (CSAP) is a Ford Motor Company manufacturing facility located in Cuautitlán Izcalli, Mexico. The 202-acre (0.82 km2) site opened in 1964. It is a 4,305,564 square feet facility with 2130 workers.
Ford took approximately one year to integrate new technologies and train the people who would assemble the vehicle before Mach-E production could begin. That process began with new stamping dies. The dies weigh between 20 and 40 tons, and have a crane type gripper and two hooks capable of lifting up to 50 tons. In addition, there are 5 presses with between 1,000 and 2,500 tons of pressure to mold the sheets. Cuautitlan is the first plant to implement an anti-collision and anti-pendulum system in the cranes.
Cuautitlan is also the first Ford plant globally to use an artificial vision system to complete bodywork. In addition, it has 190 Fanuc-type robots with state-of-the-art dimensional location systems, allowing 90 percent of this process to be automated.
The production area for the Mach-E is divided into two parts: trim, where the interiors are installed, and chassis, which handles the exterior parts, as well as the mechanical ones. The new line of high-voltage batteries has a 75 percent automated processes. Finally, 7 hours and 247 people are required for each shift for a vehicle to be completed at a rate of 20 units per hour.
Ford invested $420 million to convert the plant from making Ford Fiesta’s to Mach-E.
from: Ford EV Factories, June 1, 2021 by Brian Wang, https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2021/06/ford-ev-factories.html
Sponsored