Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
And I'm glad they haven't!!! Let's also get rid of gas subsidies (which will make everything we buy go up in price) but I'm all for it!

I've been saying this myself! Look at Placerville, CA. There's a Tesla supercharger which has a magic dock and there's an EA station there. Tesla charges $0.57 kW and EA charges $0.48 kW. Tesla made a little over 4B in revenue from charging last year. Why is it that Tesla owners would prefer to pay more to use a Tesla Supercharger over the EA station which is right next to it and $0.09 less? Once we have NACS adapters I'm going to probably use nothing but superchargers. EA needs to raise their prices and start putting money into fixing their crap.
Although I don’t know the “official number” but many teslas get free charging. Tesla has given this as incentive to buy their cars. Might be just old ones and limited to 20 or 30 minutes but it may be newer ones for a limited time of ownership.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Pilot travel station on the Ohio Michigan has installed two dcfc stations. Indiana and Ohio Turnpike rest areas have dcfc. Pennsylvania has granted millions to service stations along I 80 for dcfc. Makes sense opposed to a corner of a Walmart parking lot .
Because:

GM and Pilot Company to Build Out Coast-to-Coast EV Fast Charging Network
Anne LeZotte, Director of Corporate Communications and Public Relations

To accelerate the widespread adoption of EVs, increase access to charging and help enable long-distance electric travel of people and vehicles across the U.S., GM and Pilot Company (Pilot and Flying J) are collaborating on a national DC fast charging network that will be installed, operated and maintained by EVgo through its eXtend offering. This project demonstrates how public and private entities can come together to build out the nation’s charging infrastructure, particularly along American highways, connecting urban and rural communities, the East and West Coasts and different metropolitan areas.

This network of 2,000 charging stalls, co-branded “Pilot Flying J” and “Ultium Charge 360”, will be powered by EVgo eXtend and open to all EV brands at up to 500 Pilot and Flying J travel centers. GM customers will receive special benefits like exclusive reservations, discounts on charging, a streamlined charging process through Plug and Charge and integration into GM’s vehicle brand apps providing real-time charger availability and help with route planning. This collaboration is expected to enhance America’s EV driving experience.

The Pilot and Flying J travel centers plan to feature numerous fast charging stalls provided by EVgo, including high power fast chargers capable of offering up to 350 kW1. EVgo, which is also working with GM to add more than 3,250 fast chargers in American cities and suburbs by the end of 2025, was chosen as a strategic collaborator due to its expertise in building, operating and maintaining DC fast charging infrastructure. Many of these sites will feature canopies to help protect customers from the elements while charging, as well as pull-through capability allowing convenient charging for electric pickup trucks and SUVs pulling trailers.

microsoftteams-image-9.png

“We are committed to an all-electric, zero-emissions future, and ensuring that the right charging infrastructure is in place is a key piece of the puzzle,” said Mary Barra, GM Chair and Chief Executive Officer. “With travel centers across North America, Pilot Company is an ideal collaborator to reach a broad audience of EV drivers.”

“GM and Pilot Company designed this program to combine private investments alongside intended government grant and utility programs to help reduce range anxiety and significantly close the gap in long-distance EV charger demand,” said Shameek Konar, Pilot Company Chief Executive Officer. “Our travel centers are well-equipped to accommodate EV charging with 24/7 amenities and convenient proximity to major roadways across the country. We look forward to collaborating with GM and the U.S. Department of Transportation to make convenient coast-to-coast EV travel a reality through our national network of travel centers.”

Third-party research shows that widespread access to highway charging, particularly in underserved urban and rural areas, is a significant barrier to mass EV adoption2.

“EVgo, GM and Pilot Company share a commitment to building an electric fueling network that increases access and makes the shift to electrification as frictionless as possible for all. We look forward to this collaboration and ensuring the EVgo network provides nationwide coverage, including critical corridors for road trips,” said Cathy Zoi, CEO at EVgo. “Through EVgo eXtend, we are demonstrating yet another innovative pathway to help America electrify — and showcasing why EVgo’s technology and industry leadership make us the partner of choice to site hosts, automakers and drivers alike as we work together to deliver a cleaner future of transportation.”

This collaboration is targeting the installation of charging stalls at 50-mile intervals across the U.S. For GM, this development is one more step of its nearly $750 million investment in EV charging infrastructure, including:

• Enabling access to more than 100,000 charge points in the U.S. and Canada through its Ultium Charge 360 ecosystem
  • Collaborating with EVgo to build out a network of 3,250 charging stalls in major metro areas by 2025
  • Installing up to 40,000 chargers in local dealer communities through GM’s Dealer Community Charging Program, focusing on underserved rural and urban areas
This project builds on Pilot Company’s recently announced “New Horizons” initiative to invest $1 billion to fully upgrade its travel centers with more premium amenities and offerings that aren’t typically available at current EV charging locations. Guests will have access to free Wi-Fi at most locations, expanded seating and lounge areas, updated and modernized restrooms, on-site restaurants including Pilot’s signature fresh hot and cold deli, premium coffee, and shopping for travel essentials and souvenirs while their vehicles are charging. Pilot and Flying J travel centers are open 24/7, ensuring that team members are always onsite to provide consistently high service to guests.

Beyond this program, GM and Pilot Company will continue working with key stakeholders to use new and existing public-private programs to accelerate the development of more public EV charging infrastructure.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
I'm surprised states haven't subsidized the power for EV charging through customer rates - like what was done for solar initially in many states. As an EV owner, I'm not advocating this. In reality the fast-charging rates should be much higher. I'm not a big fan of the gov't throwing billions at this problem while Tesla charges seem to work just fine. You don't see them complaining (as much).
I guarantee it's coming. People living in non-suburban environments can't realistically L2 charge (they tried installing L2 chargers on a street a few blocks away from my office in the city and the cables were stolen in short order) and the optics of the rich guy being able to charge his EV at home for pennies while the single mom is paying $1/kW to charge her Bolt at a Walmart won't allow it.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Although I don’t know the “official number” but many teslas get free charging. Tesla has given this as incentive to buy their cars. Might be just old ones and limited to 20 or 30 minutes but it may be newer ones for a limited time of ownership.
There's a whole chart to figure out the lifetime free charging. In general this isn't offered anymore especially with the 3 and Y.

Either way, the Tesla SC network is valued at over $100B (cited). They turn a very sizeable profit every year. So, obviously the majority aren't free.

I was asking a rhetorical question to prove a point. I've never seen a Tesla owner choose a lower priced non Tesla DCFC over a supercharger when given the choice. They appear to prefer the reliability and ease of use of the supercharger network over cost. Once we have NACS available I'll likely do the same.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There's a whole chart to figure out the lifetime free charging. In general this isn't offered anymore especially with the 3 and Y.

Either way, the Tesla SC network is valued at over $100B (cited). They turn a very sizeable profit every year. So, obviously the majority aren't free.

I was asking a rhetorical question to prove a point. I've never seen a Tesla owner choose a lower priced non Tesla DCFC over a supercharger when given the choice. They appear to prefer the reliability and ease of use of the supercharger network over cost. Once we have NACS available I'll likely do the same.
I wasn’t trying to infer a “large” number of Tesla drivers use it , just 1 reason

personally I can’t wait to use their network since by all accounts it works, that’s all I care about.

when I am on a trip I really would rather not have 3 backup plans every time. Price is secondary on long drives. For others that don’t have home charging I understand cost being an issue but if price isn’t high enough to support keeping the chargers working, no one will be happy.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
What Alaska did, and unfortunately there was a lot of wasted spending, was to create a permanent fund. A portion of the oil pumped out of the ground is royalty oil and of course there are taxes. A portion of that funds the state, a portion goes into the permanent fund (now at around $80 billion) and a portion is returned to the residents annually. The one year you quoted was an anomaly as our legislature had been holding back payments for a few tight years when oil prices dropped. Plus the governor included an inflation incentive which had nothing to do with the fund but was paid out with it. Normal annual payment is around $1,000. Personally I wish the State would keep it all and build up the fund so that when the oil runs out the fund will be large enough to fully fund the government and we will not have to start paying state taxes. So that was a lot for one year but I would rather have a source of natural gas so my heating bill was not $800 a month during the winter!
I'll trade your heating bill for my state taxes. I live in Oregon... you have no idea...

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'll trade your heating bill for my state taxes. I live in Oregon... you have no idea...
Oh no - I do and it is crazy! I visited an electric utility right across the border in Washington. They said everyone crosses the border to shop in Oregon to avoid Washington’s high sales taxes but lived in Washington to avoid Oregons crazy state taxes! That was awhile ago and perhaps some tax structure have changed and that is not so effective these days. My family is from PA which used to refer to as “The Land of Taxes”.

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Oh no - I do and it is crazy! I visited an electric utility right across the border in Washington. They said everyone crosses the border to shop in Oregon to avoid Washington’s high sales taxes but lived in Washington to avoid Oregons crazy state taxes! That was awhile ago and perhaps some tax structure have changed and that is not so effective these days. My family is from PA which used to refer to as “The Land of Taxes”.
Massachusetts isn't called Taxachusetts for no reason.

For those that cross the border to avoid sales tax, in this day and age that's often a problem, because states collect Use Taxes because they wised up to the whole internet thing.

We lived near the Delaware line in PA (actually where the convict escaped recently). There was no Use Tax, we regularly shopped over the line in Delaware. PA implemented a Use Tax in 2011. Legally, in many states, if you buy items out of state and don't pay sales tax, you owe a Use Tax to your state. When you fill out your return and don't pay it, that's tax fraud.

I keep track on all online orders whether they charged tax or not, and have a running total of what I owe each year. This year I'm up to a whole $9.34 to be in compliance with Michigan law at time of filing.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Massachusetts isn't called Taxachusetts for no reason.

For those that cross the border to avoid sales tax, in this day and age that's often a problem, because states collect Use Taxes because they wised up to the whole internet thing.

We lived near the Delaware line in PA (actually where the convict escaped recently). There was no Use Tax, we regularly shopped over the line in Delaware. PA implemented a Use Tax in 2011. Legally, in many states, if you buy items out of state and don't pay sales tax, you owe a Use Tax to your state. When you fill out your return and don't pay it, that's tax fraud.

I keep track on all online orders whether they charged tax or not, and have a running total of what I owe each year. This year I'm up to a whole $9.34 to be in compliance with Michigan law at time of filing.
I would factor in a $10 write-off because that whole concept taxes my mind!!! Seriously though I do not mind paying my fair share and actually have voted for higher rates in my service area to provide extra services. Just like anyone, I suppose, I just do not like when I see money wasted which can be spent on thing I agree or disagree with.

kodiakng

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Cyber Orange 4X Mach-E
Country flag
everyone loves to complain about their state's taxes because their particular ox is perceived to have been gored, but overall oregon fares pretty well in terms of state and local tax burden.

a consistently produced report from the Tax Foundation: State and Local Tax Burdens, Calendar Year 2022

and a more consumer oriented one for 2023: 2023’s Tax Burden by State

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
everyone loves to complain about their state's taxes because their particular ox is perceived to have been gored, but overall oregon fares pretty well in terms of state and local tax burden.

a consistently produced report from the Tax Foundation: State and Local Tax Burdens, Calendar Year 2022

The problem with looking at data like this is that much of it is based on income, i.e. what's the tax percent based on income.

If I move to SC from MI, my property tax will plummet. For a more expensive home, I'll pay a small fraction of what I pay here. Largely that's based on school tax here. SC is roughly 35 -40% of the property tax here.

In SC, I would pay annual tax assessments on vehicles, motor boats, motors, trailers, jet skis, RVs, ... Here I would pay none of that, just registration fees that again are a fraction of that.

For example, my 3 year boat registration fee in Michigan is $42. My trailer registration was $200, for life. In SC that would be hundreds of dollars per year. Then go hit me for the Mach-E and the Lightning.

Net, net, despite Michigan and SC coming up with 3/10ths to 4 100ths of each other in those reports, I would save THOUSANDS of dollars in moving from MI to SC. Per year.

Of course those are absolute numbers, not a percentage of income. My income, retired, isn't much, so the percentages would be very high. 5 years ago they would have been much lower.

Space_Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Premium Mach-E awdX
Country flag
Because:

GM and Pilot Company to Build Out Coast-to-Coast EV Fast Charging Network
Anne LeZotte, Director of Corporate Communications and Public Relations

To accelerate the widespread adoption of EVs, increase access to charging and help enable long-distance electric travel of people and vehicles across the U.S., GM and Pilot Company (Pilot and Flying J) are collaborating on a national DC fast charging network that will be installed, operated and maintained by EVgo through its eXtend offering. This project demonstrates how public and private entities can come together to build out the nation’s charging infrastructure, particularly along American highways, connecting urban and rural communities, the East and West Coasts and different metropolitan areas.

This network of 2,000 charging stalls, co-branded “Pilot Flying J” and “Ultium Charge 360”, will be powered by EVgo eXtend and open to all EV brands at up to 500 Pilot and Flying J travel centers. GM customers will receive special benefits like exclusive reservations, discounts on charging, a streamlined charging process through Plug and Charge and integration into GM’s vehicle brand apps providing real-time charger availability and help with route planning. This collaboration is expected to enhance America’s EV driving experience.

The Pilot and Flying J travel centers plan to feature numerous fast charging stalls provided by EVgo, including high power fast chargers capable of offering up to 350 kW1. EVgo, which is also working with GM to add more than 3,250 fast chargers in American cities and suburbs by the end of 2025, was chosen as a strategic collaborator due to its expertise in building, operating and maintaining DC fast charging infrastructure. Many of these sites will feature canopies to help protect customers from the elements while charging, as well as pull-through capability allowing convenient charging for electric pickup trucks and SUVs pulling trailers.

Ford Mustang Mach-E US Plans Push To Upgrade Fast Chargers microsoftteams-image-9

“We are committed to an all-electric, zero-emissions future, and ensuring that the right charging infrastructure is in place is a key piece of the puzzle,” said Mary Barra, GM Chair and Chief Executive Officer. “With travel centers across North America, Pilot Company is an ideal collaborator to reach a broad audience of EV drivers.”

“GM and Pilot Company designed this program to combine private investments alongside intended government grant and utility programs to help reduce range anxiety and significantly close the gap in long-distance EV charger demand,” said Shameek Konar, Pilot Company Chief Executive Officer. “Our travel centers are well-equipped to accommodate EV charging with 24/7 amenities and convenient proximity to major roadways across the country. We look forward to collaborating with GM and the U.S. Department of Transportation to make convenient coast-to-coast EV travel a reality through our national network of travel centers.”

Third-party research shows that widespread access to highway charging, particularly in underserved urban and rural areas, is a significant barrier to mass EV adoption2.

“EVgo, GM and Pilot Company share a commitment to building an electric fueling network that increases access and makes the shift to electrification as frictionless as possible for all. We look forward to this collaboration and ensuring the EVgo network provides nationwide coverage, including critical corridors for road trips,” said Cathy Zoi, CEO at EVgo. “Through EVgo eXtend, we are demonstrating yet another innovative pathway to help America electrify — and showcasing why EVgo’s technology and industry leadership make us the partner of choice to site hosts, automakers and drivers alike as we work together to deliver a cleaner future of transportation.”

This collaboration is targeting the installation of charging stalls at 50-mile intervals across the U.S. For GM, this development is one more step of its nearly $750 million investment in EV charging infrastructure, including:

• Enabling access to more than 100,000 charge points in the U.S. and Canada through its Ultium Charge 360 ecosystem
  • Collaborating with EVgo to build out a network of 3,250 charging stalls in major metro areas by 2025
  • Installing up to 40,000 chargers in local dealer communities through GM’s Dealer Community Charging Program, focusing on underserved rural and urban areas
This project builds on Pilot Company’s recently announced “New Horizons” initiative to invest $1 billion to fully upgrade its travel centers with more premium amenities and offerings that aren’t typically available at current EV charging locations. Guests will have access to free Wi-Fi at most locations, expanded seating and lounge areas, updated and modernized restrooms, on-site restaurants including Pilot’s signature fresh hot and cold deli, premium coffee, and shopping for travel essentials and souvenirs while their vehicles are charging. Pilot and Flying J travel centers are open 24/7, ensuring that team members are always onsite to provide consistently high service to guests.

Beyond this program, GM and Pilot Company will continue working with key stakeholders to use new and existing public-private programs to accelerate the development of more public EV charging infrastructure.
That article was published in July 2022 and the map indicates that phase 1 charging stalls are to be operational by end of 2023. I see nothing at our local Pilot. Are any of these working now?

kodiakng

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Cyber Orange 4X Mach-E
Country flag
The problem with looking at data like this is that much of it is based on income, i.e. what's the tax percent based on income.
you might actually read the article to see the methodology:
In this study, we define a state’s tax burden as state and local taxes paid by a state’s residents divided by that state’s share of net national product.
this normalizes tax burden so you can compare states that have different tax regimes and styles; i.e. income tax heavy vs sales tax heavy vs property tax heavy. since individuals have different circumstances everyone is impacted by the tax regime in their state differently so yes you'll have your own specific experience.

the tax foundation study goes through quite a few scenarios and is worth the read.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag

uh... no... I live in Portland. Outside of NYC the highest marginal tax rate in the nation.
https://www.koin.com/news/portland/report-high-tax-rates-could-be-driving-people-out-of-portland/