JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
Lol I guess this thread is going a different way. I really just wanted help about 120v charging and expectations. I can repark today and both eliminate the extention cord and get the charger under the roof overhang for better protection in the rain/ snow and I've Sunday night.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Lol I guess this thread is going a different way. I really just wanted help about 120v charging and expectations. I can repark today and both eliminate the extention cord and get the charger under the roof overhang for better protection in the rain/ snow and I've Sunday night.
Yeah, it took a (common) tangent when trying to use miles as the measure rather than energy, and that's a whole different can of worms. For this purpose, it's cleaner to talk in terms of energy added (kWh, or Battery%).

In the right situation (which is sounds like you may have), 120V can be sufficient for most daily needs, with maybe just an occasional charge on higher power to stay ahead of the game to cover peak usage days.

Probably worth checking out the L2 (240V) charger situation around you too. You might find an L2 charger near a place you frequent that could easily top you up further. Plugshare is a must-have app for finding chargers all around.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
While you're at it, eliminate the extension cord... ;)

Good plan on moving the car.

djjerv91

First Name
Jonathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium RWD ER Infinite Blue
Country flag
I'm on a 5 day trip with only access to a 120 at night. I did fast charge to 80% and plugged in about an hour ago. The Ford App say 1 kWh is all it is doing. Is this average? I brought a very long extention cord as I was unsure the distance to an outlet, would getting a short cord help improve? Finally I'll be outside with the charger hanging on a basketball poll, any thing I should consider? I'm north of Atlanta and we will get rain and maybe ice snow Sunday.
I used a 120V in a parking garage around Thanksgiving at a Florida resort and only was pulling roughly 1 kWh and was getting about 3 miles every hour. Totally normal what you're getting I'd say based on my experience.

Mosworthy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD SR
Country flag
Heh...
I thought the same thing reading through it.
Hope this helps!

I'm 95% 120V charging, and almost exclusively at work.
It's parked outside at work, it hangs off the block heater provided plug bar. I use the provided velcro straps for the cord to help support it. Its been out there in sun, rain, and a blizzard, from 10C to -40C.
At home it gets 120v in the garage, but I have the app setting to charge to only 50%, and generally I'm way above that from the charging at work. Its more about the "Happy EV is a plugged in EV"

I've had no issues with the charge in any of those situations

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I used a 120V in a parking garage around Thanksgiving at a Florida resort and only was pulling roughly 1 kWh and was getting about 3 miles every hour. Totally normal what you're getting I'd say based on my experience.
Yep - since “normal” consumption of the car is roughly 3 M/kWh, that’s what you get. Even if it tells you 2 or 4, you’re getting 3.

OrchidMania

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Premium ER
Occupation
Retired IT, School Math Volunteer
Country flag
Virtually all electrical equipment is in short supply. The SS requirement must be a very local requirement. Most coastal areas will allow any corrosion-resistant enclosure (PVC or fiberglass). I wonder if it‘s mainly for appearances?
My husband said we need a metal box becuase its an old house and something about the ground... otherwise we have to rewire whole house???

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My husband said we need a metal box becuase its an old house and something about the ground... otherwise we have to rewire whole house???
Nothing against your husband, but I’d consult a licensed electrician.

OrchidMania

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Premium ER
Occupation
Retired IT, School Math Volunteer
Country flag
Nothing against your husband, but I’d consult a licensed electrician.
Oh for sure doing under permit and licensed. But he said if we switched to a non metal box the wiring in our old house would need to be re-done, since that box helps to serve as the ground.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Oh for sure doing under permit and licensed. But he said if we switched to a non metal box the wiring in our old house would need to be re-done, since that box helps to serve as the ground.
Without knowing a lot more about the situation, I can’t comment on that.

rzanzerkia

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Acura TL, 2016 MB GLE350, 2021 Mach-e Premium
Country flag
I only use a 120 line since I got the car last Feb......almost at 10000 miles......I use the car for local driving, all trips under, say 60 miles......retired so no daily commute......we have had some really cold temps the last day or so (19 degrees).......I had the car plugged in during that cold spell and according to FordPass, I added an estimated range of 4 miles per hour......during the warmer months I have gotten 5 miles per hour......

now, I have said this before, just as our estimated range is based a lot on our driving style, I believe when I charge with the 120 line, that too is affected by driving styles......since I got the car I have never gotten less than 4 miles per hour of estimated range when charging......for my needs that's enough......

of course, being on a trip would cause more concern using a Level 1 charger......

I am getting my MachE tomorrow and intend to charge it in the garage at 110V.
(Eventually I will add 240V outlet).

For now this should work as my wife commutes less than 6 miles RT.

Occasional long drive will be with the fast chargers...

bruceski88

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
It takes 3 days at 120v to charge from 20% to 80%. It’s torture. I have my mobile charger permanently attached to the wall in my garage. At 240v it usually takes 5 hours to bring it back to 90%.

My solution is either plan the trip around level 2, or fast chargers, or use a different vehicle. My backup car is a 45 mpg hybrid.
If you took your MME for the update you will be able to semi fast charge up to 95%. So you have that option too

OP
OP
JRT

JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
I moved car closer tonight and now have no extension cord and the charger is under a porch roof. Works well, I'm hanging here till Monday and there are 2 fast chargers on my route home to top off to 80%. I plan to max charge Sunday to get 100% by Monday departure and should have no problem getting home. Technically I can make it with no charge but I'm routing by a fast charger I used on my way here just to be safe. It was a good location and worked well.

OP
OP
JRT

JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
Snow, sleet and freezing Temps, my MME did well outside this past 5 days and has managed to 100% recharge 2x at my sister's house. Heading back home tomorrow so car wash and garage will be nice. MME pretty much worked like expected a normal car would.
Sponsored