Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Pretty darn warm today. Running errands and parked with ambient temp of 109 degrees and the car asked to be plugged in. First time I had seen that message on this car. My previous BEV would display that message at 97 degrees but it's battery is about 40% the size of the MME so the larger battery mass must tolerate high ambient temps better than a smaller battery.

On the way home saw 117 on the screen which was on the roadway. Only 112 in the shade of my driveway. Plugged in and the car immediately started to cool the battery. A/C ran for a good 15-20 minutes I think.

Summer is here!

20210601_170351.jpg

20210601_170337.jpg

20210601_170100.jpg

Anvesh11

First Name
Anvesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red MME RWD Ext Battery, 2016 Altima
Country flag
How’s the glass roof holding up?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
How’s the glass roof holding up?
Mine's fine so far. I think more heat load is coming in through the front side windows and the windshield. But even they are okay for now. I might end up tinting the side windows.

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Is the AC keeping the interior cool enough? Are you seeing a reduction in mi/kwh?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Is the AC keeping the interior cool enough? Are you seeing a reduction in mi/kwh?
I'll be curious to see @SnBGC's numbers, since he drives a lot more than I do.

My car sits in an unshaded big open parking lot for work all day. Driving home, the AC is effective nearly immediately. I don't notice any substantial decrease in range but I'm not monitoring it closely.

My main complaint so far is the seats. I think they hold in a lot of heat and stay warm for the whole drive home. They are very well cushioned... The downside is that they don't breathe well since there's no place for airflow between my back and the vinyl ActiveX upholstery.

Also the AC controls remain finnicky. I set the temp down to 66 on the way home tonight to try to get the cabin down to a feels like temperature of 75. (Outside temp was roughly 105-108F when I left work after 6pm.) Maybe it "feels" so warm because of the seats, though. The air coming out of the vents was nice and cold.

Sundevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
So how does this interact with the preferred charging times? If I plug it in outside of my preferred time it just pulls down enough energy to cool down the car right?

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Mine's fine so far. I think more heat load is coming in through the front side windows and the windshield. But even they are okay for now. I might end up tinting the side windows.
I think you would appreciate a little extra UV protection. I am glad I didn't go too dark because at night I still wanted to have good visibility.?

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Yes. A/C rocks. It is a much larger compressor than my old BEV so it is a lot noisier and draws some serious power.

I haven't noticed any range impact with temps around 103 and under but with temps closer to 110 and above there looks like a range impact of around 10%. I will see what my GOM says in the morning and report back.

Last week was very mild. Maybe mid 90s. Range prediction was over 300 miles and real life was about 295. AWD EX.

This week won't be so good I think....

Here are screenshots from last week.

Screenshot_20210527-071530_FordPass.jpg

Screenshot_20210526-211442_FordPass.jpg

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Does it mean it's burning battery while driving to cool it down? I wonder what it does to the range driving on interstate at such temperatures.
The A/C runs to cool the battery anyway so it doesn't seem to impact range until temps get really hot. Like 105 and above.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I'll be curious to see @SnBGC's numbers, since he drives a lot more than I do.

My car sits in an unshaded big open parking lot for work all day. Driving home, the AC is effective nearly immediately. I don't notice any substantial decrease in range but I'm not monitoring it closely.

My main complaint so far is the seats. I think they hold in a lot of heat and stay warm for the whole drive home. They are very well cushioned... The downside is that they don't breathe well since there's no place for airflow between my back and the vinyl ActiveX upholstery.

Also the AC controls remain finnicky. I set the temp down to 66 on the way home tonight to try to get the cabin down to a feels like temperature of 75. (Outside temp was roughly 105-108F when I left work after 6pm.) Maybe it "feels" so warm because of the seats, though. The air coming out of the vents was nice and cold.
As weird as it sounds.....I think I am more comfortable in the car during the day because I am driving all over the place. The frequent trips help to keep the battery cool and the seats aren't sitting static in the sun all day.
That probably helps minimize the range impact.

My wife turned her side down to 66 degrees today. I went down one notch, from 73 to 72. The sun was on her side of the car at that time of day though....

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
So how does this interact with the preferred charging times? If I plug it in outside of my preferred time it just pulls down enough energy to cool down the car right?
Correct. More specifically.....it just cools the battery.

The car will charge outside your schedule if that is required to achieve your target charge level by the end of the schedule or your next go time.

I installed a ChargePoint Home Flex at 48A so it will be able to recharge in the 6 hr window. The 32A EVSE I was previously using couldn't charge fast enough so my wife uses that one now. She has a PHEV Wrangler.

20210601_122035.jpg

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Pretty darn warm today. Running errands and parked with ambient temp of 109 degrees and the car asked to be plugged in. First time I had seen that message on this car. My previous BEV would display that message at 97 degrees but it's battery is about 40% the size of the MME so the larger battery mass must tolerate high ambient temps better than a smaller battery.

On the way home saw 117 on the screen which was on the roadway. Only 112 in the shade of my driveway. Plugged in and the car immediately started to cool the battery. A/C ran for a good 15-20 minutes I think.

Summer is here!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Warmest day so far this summer. 20210601_122035

Did that message pop up when you stopped, or while you were still driving home?

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Did that message pop up when you stopped, or while you were still driving home?
It came on twice. Both times when stopped and the dial put into Park. It only shows for 5 seconds ish so if you are gathering your belongings then you might miss it

I have been watching for it but haven't seen it until today. Was actually starting to get worried because I really should have seen it by now. I think the frequent use during the day is actually beneficial since it cools the battery every time I drive.
Sponsored