What do people know about real world range?

Carlsbad9

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E First Edition
Occupation
Home Loan Broker
Country flag
I just picked up my FE with extended range battery AWD. Ford & EPA say range should be 270mi, I charged battery to 100% last night and car estimates 240mi. I saw an article somewhere that said the MME driver got about 10% higher than EPA with MME vs Tesla usually getting less than estimated. I'm planning first road trip Fri which is 280mi and trying to plan where to stop to charge, etc in case it really looks like I can't make it the full way (especially with full car and possible traffic, accessory use in car, etc).
Second Q is if people have heard it's not good to charge to 100% or drive until battery is below 10%. That is what a friend with a Tesla 3 was told for his car.
Thanks in advance. This forum has been really helpful.
Sponsored

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
I just picked up my FE with extended range battery AWD. Ford & EPA say range should be 270mi, I charged battery to 100% last night and car estimates 240mi. I saw an article somewhere that said the MME driver got about 10% higher than EPA with MME vs Tesla usually getting less than estimated. I'm planning first road trip Fri which is 280mi and trying to plan where to stop to charge, etc in case it really looks like I can't make it the full way (especially with full car and possible traffic, accessory use in car, etc).
Second Q is if people have heard it's not good to charge to 100% or drive until battery is below 10%. That is what a friend with a Tesla 3 was told for his car.
Reset the history on the big screen and see if that increases the range shown on the little screen.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
That 240 mile number is likely to be heavily based on your recent driving history. Been having some fun have you? :)

270 miles on a full charge is likely to be a fairly reasonable estimate for a normal mix of city/highway driving. With an EV.....they are more efficient at city speeds and less efficient at highway speeds. So, you won't make it 280 miles on a full charge at freeway speeds.
Try and see if there is a DCFC charging location on your route that is more than half way there and you should be good to make it there.

The return trip is something to think about too. Are you staying there a while before heading back? If so, then charge up to 100% during your stay if possible.

Probably the best way for members here to help you is if you publish your general route. There are tools available to help. If I had my car, I might be able to show you how to do it in the vehicle but I haven't learned enough about that just yet. :(

I usually don't recommend that newbies take their EVs on a road trip right out of the gate. But kudos to you for jumping right in! Good luck! It can certainly be done. Hang tight and others will be along to help. ?

(I rarely road trip in my EV so my experience is very limited.....)

Last edited:

darren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Mach-E
Country flag
unless you plan to drive 55mph on the freeway, I wouldn't count on 270miles range. If you use the Ford map to plan your trip, it will show you.

BTW, are you using Apple Map, it is supposed to support EV routing?

"At its annual World Wide Developers Conference (WWDC) on Monday, Apple announced an upcoming update to the Maps app coming with iOS 14 this fall. With the new operating system, the maps will include EV routing based not only on the vehicle you're in but also the environment in which you're driving. Apple is currently working with Ford and BMW on electric-vehicle integration and said that it’ll be adding many more automakers in the future.​
On Ford's end, the system will work with the upcoming Mach-E. Ford also will have its own system baked into Sync 4A called Ford Intelligent Range that uses past driving behavior, weather forecasts, and crowdsourced data from other Mustang Mach-E vehicles on the road to better predict how far the vehicle can travel on its current state of charge."​

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Not all miles are the same. For example, you might not be able to get to Big Bear which is 150 miles away, but getting back from Big Bear would be a piece of cake. That's because one uphill mile might be worth five downhill miles.

Traffic slowdowns are great for range so long as you're moving.

If you said where you intended to go I could probably tell you what would work. Generally, if you are a reasonable BEV driver (aka 70-75 MPH with occasional visits to 80 MPH and 65 MPH), you should get between 3.4 miles/kWh and 3.7 miles/kWn in the expected mix of freeway and surface road driving.

I would not charge to 100% all the time, but for something like a road trip then definitely do that. It won't hurt anything.

OP
OP
Carlsbad9

Carlsbad9

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E First Edition
Occupation
Home Loan Broker
Country flag
That 240 mile number is likely to be heavily based on your recent driving history. Been having some fun have you? :)

270 miles on a full charge is likely to be a fairly reasonable estimate for a normal mix of city/highway driving. With an EV.....they are more efficient at city speeds and less efficient at highway speeds. So, you won't make it 280 miles on a full charge at freeway speeds.
Try and see if there is a DCFC charging location on your route that is more than half way there and you should be good to make it there.

The return trip is something to think about too. Are you staying there a while before heading back? If so, then charge up to 100% during your stay if possible.

Probably the best way for members here to help you is if you publish your general route. There are tools available to help. If I had my car, I might be able to show you how to do it in the vehicle but I haven't learned enough about that just yet. :(

I usually don't recommend that newbies take their EVs on a road trip right out of the gate. But kudos to you for jumping right in! Good luck! It can certainly be done. Hang tight and others will be along to help. ?

(I rarely road trip in my EV so my experience is very limited.....)
Thanks for the feedback. For any add'tl tips, I'm driving from Carlsbad, Ca 92009 to San Luis Obispo, Ca 93401 on Friday during day. Sounds like I should target a fast charger stop, hopefully near restaurant for lunch stop, around half way point.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
answer for q 1: this might sound sarcastic or snarky but it's completely straight: as of when I type this, we honestly have no clue. Not enough cars in the field and not enough weather and driving conditions variations yet to really say. It's going to be months before anyone can say about this as a general statement.

answer for q 2: one of the manuals says 80% for DCFC. There's been a huge amount of back and forth about this elsewhere on the forum. We also know there is a "charging cliff" at 80% as I type this in current vehicles. (lots of weasel needed because OTA).

Ford Mustang Mach-E What do people know about real world range? 1612380059562

interestingly it does not say this for normal AC-to-DC "slower' charging like at home or something. That plus the reserve we know is there means I'm still personally in the "just don't worry about it" category. (I admit I missed that the manual said this for the DCFC use case - I remembered it as the "general" use case... that's a very interesting distinction in the manual... I get why it's there [the manual says why!] but it's still interesting to me at least.)

OP
OP
Carlsbad9

Carlsbad9

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E First Edition
Occupation
Home Loan Broker
Country flag
unless you plan to drive 55mph on the freeway, I wouldn't count on 270miles range. If you use the Ford map to plan your trip, it will show you.

"At its annual World Wide Developers Conference (WWDC) on Monday, Apple announced an upcoming update to the Maps app coming with iOS 14 this fall. With the new operating system, the maps will include EV routing based not only on the vehicle you're in but also the environment in which you're driving. Apple is currently working with Ford and BMW on electric-vehicle integration and said that it’ll be adding many more automakers in the future.​
On Ford's end, the system will work with the upcoming Mach-E. Ford also will have its own system baked into Sync 4A called Ford Intelligent Range that uses past driving behavior, weather forecasts, and crowdsourced data from other Mustang Mach-E vehicles on the road to better predict how far the vehicle can travel on its current state of charge."​
I have apple map and can test it. I usually use google maps. And was leaning towards using the onboard waze app to watch for CHP/radar. And good point about car needing to learn how I'm driving to get a real estimate.

OP
OP
Carlsbad9

Carlsbad9

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E First Edition
Occupation
Home Loan Broker
Country flag
Not all miles are the same. For example, you might not be able to get to Big Bear which is 150 miles away, but getting back from Big Bear would be a piece of cake. That's because one uphill mile might be worth five downhill miles.

Traffic slowdowns are great for range so long as you're moving.

If you said where you intended to go I could probably tell you what would work. Generally, if you are a reasonable BEV driver (aka 70-75 MPH with occasional visits to 80 MPH and 65 MPH), you should get between 3.4 miles/kWh and 3.7 miles/kWn in the expected mix of freeway and surface road driving.

I would not charge to 100% all the time, but for something like a road trip then definitely do that. It won't hurt anything.
Thanks. It'll be good to see how the avg miles / kWh line up. Nice to have a target. btw- I'm driving from Carlsbad, Ca 92009 to San Luis Obispo, Ca 93401 on Friday during day

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Thanks. It'll be good to see how the avg miles / kWh line up. Nice to have a target. btw- I'm driving from Carlsbad, Ca 92009 to San Luis Obispo, Ca 93401 on Friday during day
Agree with @JayTee that you have many choices, some depending on the way you intend to go. I'd charge after LA. Go to Plugshare and set the filters to CCS and 120 kW. That will give you the faster chargers. Then do look at the reports to confirm that they operate reliably. If there are 10 stations and one is down, not a big deal. If there are two and one is consistently out of service, that's something else.

Have a good trip. Will be an adventure!

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag

From looking at the EV mapping for Apple Maps, I believe there's additional work required on the FordPass app side of things to communicate the SoC and other vehicle info to Maps (which would then use the information to provide more specific recommendations for stops).
Sponsored