When or will GT/PE 5 Second limit be lifted by OTA

When/will the GT/PE get the power throttle improvement OTA?

• Total voters
OP
OP

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Ford have a history of issues not getting caught in testing that then show up once vehicles get into owners ham-fisted hands, these normally go under the radar as they quietly get fixed via a TSB or when a vehicles turns up for its first service if they think it will cause an issue.

The GT/PE isn't even using the full power potential of both motors so I seriously doubt the bus bars are an issue, add in a pitiful top speed by performance standards it should be able to do at least one full power run from 0 mph to that speed. If a revised limit doesn't allow that then it will just be more Ford marketing attempting to paper over the poor engineering.

If someone trys to treat the go pedal like a pogo stick then I could see thermal issues so throttling can kick in, which is what it already does anyway with the cool down timer in the power meter.
Actually, what I would like to see other than full power for 8+ seconds (Iā€™m not being unreasonable, just the full 480 HP, not what the motors are capable of), even if itā€™s a longer cool down period, is some sort of visible count down timer to full power. The power meter having jailbars is somewhat useful, but the logic behind the limitation basis is beyond unclear.
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Just give us an update already @Ford Motor Company rather than have Darren Palmer make a proclamation of revising the limit vis OTA and then crickets for months.
If you PM them your VIN they will set up a service ticket to look into your issue at your local dealership. šŸ˜œ

But yes. I also would love at least a target timeline.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Actually, what I would like to see other than full power for 8+ seconds (Iā€™m not being unreasonable, just the full 480 HP, not what the motors are capable of), even if itā€™s a longer cool down period, is some sort of visible count down timer to full power. The power meter having jailbars is somewhat useful, but the logic behind the limitation basis is beyond unclear.
Agree It should be able to deliver 480hp at all times until the state of charge is reduced significantly to the point that it no longer becomes possible.

If all Ford end up doing is adding a few more seconds of 480bhp it doesn't do much IMO as that should be the default no boosted amount and no doubt what most early reservation owners that purchased a GT/GTPE for performance reasons where expecting.

If it was 5 seconds of the full 562hp that then fell back to 480hp I doubt anyone would complain, the current limtiations just makes Ford going to all the trouble of using the larger motor front and rear a pointless exercise when its only used for a few seconds to give you full torque that generally goes wasted on spinning the front tires due to the lack of a decent launch control system.

Some gimicky modes asside, if you look at the Ioniq 5 N from a specs point of view it is clear to see what happens when a companies performance dvision works on a product vs the GT/GTPE where they haven't been anywhere near it.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Agree It should be able to deliver 480hp at all times until the state of charge is reduced significantly to the point that it no longer becomes possible.

If all Ford end up doing is adding a few more seconds of 480bhp it doesn't do much IMO as that should be the default no boosted amount and no doubt what most early reservation owners that purchased a GT/GTPE for performance reasons where expecting.

If it was 5 seconds of the full 562hp that then fell back to 480hp I doubt anyone would complain, the current limtiations just makes Ford going to all the trouble of using the larger motor front and rear a pointless exercise when its only used for a few seconds to give you full torque that generally goes wasted on spinning the front tires due to the lack of a decent launch control system.

Some gimicky modes asside, if you look at the Ioniq 5 N from a specs point of view it is clear to see what happens when a companies performance dvision works on a product vs the GT/GTPE where they haven't been anywhere near it.
I think we need to stop thinking about the power limit as ā€œ5 seconds.ā€

It isnā€™t that. Its speed limited at 72 mph. It gets confused with ā€œ5 secondsā€ because thatā€™s about how long it takes to hit 72 mph.

What we want is a higher mph before power gets reduced. 100 mph so we could pass on the highway or ideally 115 mph so we could finish a 1/4 mile run.

As far as I can tell, ā€œtimeā€ was never a limiting factor (at least not a 5 second clock). There is a separate ā€œdischarge over timeā€ limiter. But thatā€™s the one that reduces power after cruising at high speeds or multiple full throttle events. I would like that to be eased up as well.

Reactions: Nym

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Not related to the 5 second limit but I started my car this morning and found this:

Ford Mustang Mach-E When or will GT/PE 5 Second limit be lifted by OTA IMG_4013

40 or so % jail bars at 85% and 58F temperature. Both of my FP apps say that my car was last in communication with Fordā€™s servers yesterday morning at 6:56 (just after I parked at work) so it has the SoC listed that I had yesterday morning with, not the SoC the car has after driving home and L2 charging over night. No DTCs, so I am just going to wait on a key cycle. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ©

Last edited:

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
Not related to the 5 second limit but I started my car this morning and found this:

IMG_4013.jpeg

40 or so % jail bars at 85% and 58F temperature. Both of my FP apps say that my car was last in communication with Fordā€™s servers yesterday morning at 6:56 (just after I parked at work) so it has the SoC listed that I had yesterday morning with, not the SoC the car has after driving home and L2 charging over night. No DTCs, so I am just going to wait on a key cycle. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ©
This used to happen to me all the time also until I set my car to pre-condition the battery 2x daily. Depending on the day, my car starts to warm the battery at 8AM then again sometime between 3:45PM and 5PM. You can set the car to precondition the battery ONLY by going into the departure settings and making sure that climate is set to OFF.

Now, with the 2x daily preconditioning, I never see jail bars when I start my car unless it's at like midnight and it's been parked outside in cold temps.

No need to waste energy warming or cooling the cabin if you're in Cali.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
This used to happen to me all the time also until I set my car to pre-condition the battery 2x daily. Depending on the day, my car starts to warm the battery at 8AM then again sometime between 3:45PM and 5PM. You can set the car to precondition the battery ONLY by going into the departure settings and making sure that climate is set to OFF.

Now, with the 2x daily preconditioning, I never see jail bars when I start my car unless it's at like midnight and it's been parked outside in cold temps.

No need to waste energy warming or cooling the cabin if you're in Cali.
Weird. Car was plugged into L2 last night and set to precondition when plugged in, but the TCU last spoke with Ford yesterday after I parked at the office. I am assuming whatever is causing the TCU to not talk to Ford is causing this. Gonna pull the 12V power tonight when I get home to see if that resets anything since there are no DTCs. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ©
Sponsored