Who else hates the design of some roundabouts?

Jerrytball

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There’s a couple roundabouts in my area. One is right before you enter the Keesler Air Force Base, and one by the airport. In my opinion, the one at the Air Force base is really setting up for accidents. The one by the airport, I don’t know why they can’t design all them like that one, but It’s one lane when you come in and once you’re in you have to exit or keep going to the next exit and keep on going around till you come back that exit, there’s no inside lane which really confuses a lot of people in my opinion. For instance, the one at the Air Force Base is like the example I put here they’ve got two lanes and most people come from that 9 o’clock position and they exit at the 3 o’clock position and they’re exiting from the inside and the lane. Like to go around and exit to the 12 o’clock position because that’s a better road to take, but it’s like no matter if you get on the outside or the inside lane someone’s coming from the inside lane and trying to broadside you because they want to exit at 3 o’clock , I don’t know why they don’t see this is an issue. So if the rule is you come in from 9 o’clock position on the inside lane and you want to exit at 12 o’clock you continue and then you cross over but then those people that are coming from. Let’s say the east, which is right around 2 o’clock position. They’re gonna force you to stay inside that lane if they come to the roundabout, not giving you the yield. I try to avoid it as much as I can, but you can’t help it because that’s the only way into the base lol.

Single lane is much safer and there’s hardly really any rules. I mean it’s almost obvious you either exit or you keep going around in circles.😆

Ford Mustang Mach-E Who else hates the design of some roundabouts? IMG_7849

IMG_7867.jpeg

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
The purpose of roundabouts is to reduce the severity of accidents. They INCREASE the amount of accidents, but less people die, and the damage is less severe to vehicles.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
I'm a bigger fan of the two lane roundabouts myself versus the single...yeah there are some drivers that hesistate and don't really know what they are doing and almost hit ya, but when those folks aren't around I feel like I can get around a lot quicker.

In either case, I VASTLY appreciate these much more over traditional stoplight intersections. So much faster and safer.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Roundabouts have a place. In low to medium traffic volume areas.

I love the ones near us. They replaced a couple of closley placed traffic lights with 2 two-lane roundabouts and we can now make it through that area much faster than before. It really helps keep traffic flowing. No more sitting and waiting for the light to change when there's no traffic coming from the other directions.

Pmullin7

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
The problem with 2 lane roundabouts is just that most North American drivers have no idea what the rules of roundabouts are in the first place. With two lanes the consequences become more significant. Ironically many immigrants have no problems with them because their home countries have had them for decades.

The rules I see ignored in Canada are, failure to yield to the left at all times, as well as failure to use their indicators at all.

Everybody knows you have to yield to people coming into the roundabout from their left, what they don't seem to understand is that you have to yield to people to your left when you're in the roundabout. But of course if those people to your left don't indicate their intention to leave, the inevitable boom occurs.

Folks where I live are starting to learn, but I put this down to a lack of government education.

JJR

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium
Occupation
Artist
Country flag
The first time I saw a roundabout was in Mass. where they've been "around" for awhile.
There the rule is the right lane is for entry and exit. The left lane is for skipping exits.
Took me about 30 seconds to figure it out.

OP
OP
Jerrytball

Jerrytball

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The first time I saw a roundabout was in Mass. where they've been "around" for awhile.
There the rule is the right lane is for entry and exit. The left lane is for skipping exits.
Took me about 30 seconds to figure it out.
30 seconds or three trips around the circle lol😁

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
I was stationed in England for a few years, so I really like roundabouts. But, they generally confuse a lot of Americans and we don't train people on how to use them. In the US, I take them a lot more cautiously.

Here's one of the roundabouts right by the base I was at:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Who else hates the design of some roundabouts? 1714663343656-9d

ShaggySS

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD
Occupation
IT Nerd
Country flag
I think the problem with multi lane roundabouts is they are all different. Going into a new roundabout for the first time, you don't know what lane to be in to exit where you want to go. After you are familiar with it, it's pretty simple: that first time for people is where the issue lies.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I lived in Paris in the 90’s and drove through the cobblestoned Place d'Italie roundabout daily on my way to work. . It had room for about five or six lanes, but had no lane lines; once I got the hang of it, it was tons of fun to drive! The French have an interesting rule: the driver entering from the right has the right of way by default (unless there’s a yield or stop sign). So in a roundabout the drivers already in the roundabout have to yield to those entering. To exit you need to squeeze out through all the entering drivers. It’s a blast and usually works quite well actually, though not for the faint of heart. Of course on the rare days when it snowed everything changed because the drivers already in the roundabout had a much harder time yielding for those entering so they took that to their advantage! 🤣

I took European delivery of a US-spec Volvo shortly before returning to the US. When it came time to drop it off for shipment to the US, I discovered that the drop-off location was a garage which could only be entered after you successfully navigated Etoile - the roundabout surrounding the Arc de Triomphe - one of the most notorious in Europe. I'd driven it many times and while it wasn't my favorite, I didn't mind it. But I laughed thinking of American tourists arriving in Paris after touring Europe and having to navigate that roundabout to drop off their car. There's a part of me that thinks it was intentional...
Ford Mustang Mach-E Who else hates the design of some roundabouts? Etoile

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I’ve driven in England enough that no roundabout fazes me.
One difference is that in England, you have to know how to drive before you can get a licence.