J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(2021) Space White, Premium, AWD Ext Range
Occupation
Design Engineer
Country flag
Our Premium AWD ER is stiff and it’s particularly noticeable at slower speeds. It’s tough on bad roads. I think the stiff suspension and somewhat high seating position result in you getting jostled around on uneven roads. On smooth roads it’s really nice though. Very quiet and smooth, with a low center of gravity that helps to minimize body roll around turns. But if you’re looking for a car that just soaks up the bumps, this isn’t it.

Btw, I see the term “bouncy” being used all the time. To me that implies something that I don’t experience. To me the car feels stiff and unforgiving. I actually don’t mind it terribly unless it’s a really bad road.
Your opinion seems to reflect mine as well.

Bad roads here in New England really frustrate me sometimes. I end up driving so slow over them. That’s when it becomes too “bouncy” for me as the car gyrates and bucks all over. The suspension just doesn’t absorb the pot holes and cracks. To me it’s too stiff. Maybe others call that bounciness.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Select AWD
Country flag
I myself coming from a 2018 Lexus NX300 to a Mach E select awd was night and day better. I too prioritize isolation and road comfort and the Mach E surprisingly did that for me. It was quieter, and softer riding than my Lexus (which I loved). Granted it was no RX but it also wasn't as fun to drive as the Mach E. When test driving different EV's and renting them all on turo, based off of what I was reading I assumed I would hate the way the Mach E drove. I was completely shocked that I found the ID 4 to not only be a harsher ride than the Mach E but totally less isolating. Don't take other people's word for it, try it yourself. The ionic 5 is supposed to be considered super luxurious but I wasn't that impressed by its ride or isolation. It's all subjective.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
GT, almost always in Unbridled, here. Suspension is stiff, for sure, but not at all bouncy. When I think of bounce I think of an Olds Delta 88 with busted leaf springs, still undulating 1/2 mile after crossing a bridge joint. This thing skips across bumps and holes on a turn like a piece of shale across a smooth pond. Disconcerting at times, but the AWD keeps the rear end in check pretty well, even if it will crab sideways from hump to hump. We have some pretty crappy intersections around here...

For sure, you're not going to get anything like a Lexus ride. Even in Whisper with lowered tire pressure you're going to know what kind of road you're on. Honestly, if you're looking for a disconnected pillow ride, you've ordered the wrong car.

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
Our Select ST suspension is a mirror of the Edge Sport we traded off. Short wheel based SUV designed to haul 4+ and gear. Putting 4 adults in it plus some gear quiets it down. Now many US rural roads have a crappy base and they are subject to slumps, frost heave, and that pushes any car around and particularly old solid axle GTs of which I’ve had a few. The MME is a bit stiff with just me.

One of the interesting features is when coming into a decreasing radius turn, you can work the throttle against lateral G force sensors (turning them off, otherwise they will slow the car if you aren’t paying attention) and with a smooth road, nice turns…that’s a hoot. 1st time I realized it.. “ahh MUSTANG!”

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
The reason for the variation is based on expectations.

Some expect their $60K car to be soft European luxury smooth. (As you probably do based on the Lexus comment). These people, and yourself, generally feel the ride to be harsh.

Some expect their 5000lb modern “mustang” to ride like their old mustang did: with suspension stiff enough to feel the road and keep the tires digging without the body rolling as they take corners at double the posted limit. A 1971 mustang with shackles on the rear leafs was never called a smooth ride. These people will find the suspension very comfortable yet familiar.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
The problem is not the stiffness of the springs but the mismatch with the shocks. They don’t control the rebound and compression damping enough for the stiffness of the springs. The car porpoises and wears me out on the roads around NYC and New Jersey. Despite the expense I am upgrading my suspension with KW coilovers.

hprose

First Name
Harvey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250 and a Mach-e on order
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
My build date is Sept 12. Premium, extended range. I had been looking for suspension reviews for quite a long and see mixed opinions.

It's a big deal for us. We like soft/smooth suspension. Like a Lexus rx.

Some say suspension is pillowe, some say it is pretty hard. Why this much gap.
I myself coming from a 2018 Lexus NX300 to a Mach E select awd was night and day better. I too prioritize isolation and road comfort and the Mach E surprisingly did that for me. It was quieter, and softer riding than my Lexus (which I loved). Granted it was no RX but it also wasn't as fun to drive as the Mach E. When test driving different EV's and renting them all on turo, based off of what I was reading I assumed I would hate the way the Mach E drove. I was completely shocked that I found the ID 4 to not only be a harsher ride than the Mach E but totally less isolating. Don't take other people's word for it, try it yourself. The ionic 5 is supposed to be considered super luxurious but I wasn't that impressed by its ride or isolation. It's all subjective.
i think it all comes down to what you are used to. I have a 250 with 75 pounds in the rear tires and the tires are Continentals. I’m used to sports cars. I hate a soft suspension. Everyone is different. That’s why there are so many differing opinions. Same car, two drivers - wow that was smooth - worst ride I’ve ever felt.

moostang

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CA Route 1 (ordered)
Country flag
My build date is Sept 12. Premium, extended range. I had been looking for suspension reviews for quite a long and see mixed opinions.

It's a big deal for us. We like soft/smooth suspension. Like a Lexus rx.

Some say suspension is pillowe, some say it is pretty hard. Why this much gap.
I’m in a similar position to the OP. Our MME will actually replace an RX. So I went and test drove one the other day, allowing me to draw a side-by-side comparison. I also made sure to drive on concrete roads to try the connection joints. The ride didn’t strike me as overly harsh or firm, though it is stiffer than an RX. But what bothered me the most was that the car never settled down. If you looked at the (beautiful!) hood, you could see it shaking continuously on the concrete stretch of road. And this was on the 18-inch wheels of a CA Rt1 that offer more rubber. As others have said, it’s a subjective decision...

Nemy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 DMG Mach-E Premium X
Country flag
I also haven't noticed any excessive "bounciness." When I upgraded to a Premium, though, I did notice more bounce. But I attributed it mainly to the seats, which are more cushy/cloud-like than the Select seats. Given that most people have Premiums and up, it might explain why there are complaints about it.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Yeah, if you want soft and pillowy, this ain't the EV for you. You might want to look at the Lyriq. I came from an MB S500 with air suspension, and this took some getting used to. It's not uncomfortable, but it's not a "luxury" suspension.
My GT-PE is kind of soft and pillowy. Well, it is compared to my K/5 and my Trans Am. The T/A is actually softer than the Blazer, but impact harshness is higher due to the metal subframe bushings and the metal on Delrin on metal suspension bearings. 🤪🐩

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
GT, almost always in Unbridled, here. Suspension is stiff, for sure, but not at all bouncy. When I think of bounce I think of an Olds Delta 88 with busted leaf springs, still undulating 1/2 mile after crossing a bridge joint.
<SNIP>
I’m also always in Unbridled. It’s pretty soft. 😊🐩

The Olds 88s were A-bodies. They didn’t have a Hotchkiss rear. They had a 4-link rear with coils and dampers. Lateral location was via the upper control arms, doing away with the need for a panhard bar. The car in my avatar is a cousin of the 88, using the same basic rear suspension design (although the solid axle is decambered along with a lot of other modifications needed to beat the big factory teams). 😎🐩

Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Escape, 22 Mach-E, Premium, RWD, LR, Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I like everything about the MachE except the ride. Honestly, it sucks. It is truly terrible for a modern car. The engineers took the wrong path trying to make it sporty or they just can’t fix it.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Yeah, I’ll chime in. I have the same model you’re ordering, and it’s stiff and bouncy. I came from an Acura RDX SH-AWD with the adjustable liquid suspension, and that’s probably close to a Lexus in smoothness.

The MME is not that. At all. This is a Mustang more than 5.0 drivers want to admit. The ride is stiffly tuned. Going over cobblestones sucks. Going over a long stretch of expansion joints makes it buck back and forth like the horse on the badging. If you have good smooth asphalt roads, it’s fine, but if you live in an area with rough pavement, concrete roads, or a lot of potholes and you’re trying to compare it to a Lexus, you will not be happy.

StillWaitingForMachE

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 IBSM ER AWD California Rt 1 MME (Mike-E)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
As mentioned in other threads, make sure the dealer removed the suspension locking blocks from the undercarriage if the ride is too stiff.
Wait, what?!?

While most owners in Michigan probably find it somewhat firm and jarring most of the time.
I live in Northern Indiana/Michigan (my house is about a mile from the border), and I can confirm this. It's not to the point of being unbearable, but there is one point of my commute where the road is pretty 〰 (wavy). Let's just say it lives up to the Mustang name there. It gallops like a horse!

I love the car though. This is a criticism of the roads. I hated the road that causes the gallop long before I got my MME, and having the MME actually makes it quieter and more enjoyable to drive on (which is good as that's 80% of my commute)

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I actually want the MME suspension to be MORE stiff. I find the GTPE suspension underdamped and bouncy. It's truly noticeable over speed bumps.

I still prefer how the Premium RWD SR rides which is less bouncy.
Sponsored