Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I have to say my new (to me) BMW i4 has spoiled me. The suspension in comfort mode is comfy… maybe not Crown Vic but close. I rented a black Vic for three months when I first moved to Florida. Loved it. Everybody thought I was a cop. Lol.

In Sport mode, it’s firm like a sports car should be.

Ford tuned MagneRide correctly in Unbridled mode (sporty firm) but the other two modes are an underdamped mess. I wonder if it can be fixed by software.

Ford can’t fix the Premium trim suspension so easily though.
Sponsored

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I've gotten used to it for the most part (Premium AWD ER), but hitting a bump often makes the rear suspension feel like I'm carrying two thousand pounds of bricks in the trunk. It's a nasty feeling.

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
The reason for mixed reviews is simple... People like what they like and that's fine... but they like some diametrically opposed things and we need to be clear about what we are looking for when it comes to ride.

The suspension is tuned fairly well for what it weighs and they are trying to achieve. (compare it to a Model Y) That does NOT mean that it is tuned for what you are looking for

Are you looking for something that rides like:
  • Toyota Avalon
  • Ford Crown Vic
  • Lexus anything
  • S class Mercedes
  • Most 5 passenger SUVs
These emphasize compliance over handling. The ride is isolating but the handling is terrible.

OR

Are you looking for something that rides like
  • BMW 3 series
  • ICE Mustang
  • Cadillac V
  • Sporty most anything etc.
These emphasize handling over compliance. The ride is firm but the cornering is good.

If it was pillowy SUV ride, I would have bought something else. You might draw a different conclusion.

Lastly, I think most people confuse dampers (shocks) with spring rates. To turn the car into a lexus crapmobile you will have to change the spring rates and the damping.
I think if you read more about this on this forum, including the 80 page thread on it, you'll see that it's not simply about a trade off between handling and compliance. The bounciness is its own thing. I'm fine with the level of "stiffness" and overall don't really notice issues with bounciness, but that's because I'm in the font seat. It's become clear to me from the experience of my passengers over different roads (including over concrete with expansion joints) as well as many reports here, that something is off with the tuning of the suspension, independent of firm vs pillowy.

Peaceowl

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you put 4000 lbs on the bottom of any car it will see the same bounce problem. That’s a given. And if you are used to a Crown Victoria ride, of course you will see a difference riding in a sports car. Most complaints come from people who aren’t used to the sporty ride that hugs the road with positive steering.

I Am older so I do miss the comfort of my Audi. But I knew what I was getting in to. The seats in my GTPE are very supportive. But not as soft as the Premium. No surprise.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
I just drove my car home today from getting KW coilovers installed on my premium AWD. I couldn’t take the bounciness any more. Previous comments are correct n that it’s not the stiffness, it’s the rocking forwards and backwards after hitting a bump. It literally tires my neck muscles. My wife hates riding in the car because of it and my 20 something sons love the cat except for the bouncing. The 15min ride home seems to show significant t improvement in the rocking. Will know better after a few commutes.

OP
OP
kkgg

kkgg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e
Country flag
I just drove my car home today from getting KW coilovers installed on my premium AWD. I couldn’t take the bounciness any more. Previous comments are correct n that it’s not the stiffness, it’s the rocking forwards and backwards after hitting a bump. It literally tires my neck muscles. My wife hates riding in the car because of it and my 20 something sons love the cat except for the bouncing. The 15min ride home seems to show significant t improvement in the rocking. Will know better after a few commutes.
How expensive is that ?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
My build date is Sept 12. Premium, extended range. I had been looking for suspension reviews for quite a long and see mixed opinions.

It's a big deal for us. We like soft/smooth suspension. Like a Lexus rx.

Some say suspension is pillowe, some say it is pretty hard. Why this much gap.

I'd bet that *most* drivers have a more jittery foot on the accelerator than they realize, which would give a sickening ride in a high power EV, especially with 1-p unbridled mode accel/regen. I seriously doubt many drivers can tell the difference in suspension. Tire pressure makes more difference to most.

Concrete expansion joints are a pain in any car, and you HEAR them in an EV, which makes it seem worse.

If you find the Mach-e too stiff.... you can always add a pillow, or at least memory foam pad, under your butt.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag

try using 'cruise control' rather than manual accellerator control over one of your problematic sections of road... I think you may be surprised how much of the 'rockin' is from YOUR foot.

Malfy34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT
Country flag
You highlight the problem when you say you’re looking for/like a Lexus RX type ride. You’re likely to be disappointed.

The Mach E was called a Mustang because the ride/drive engineers actually gave it Mustang dna in regards to suspension tuning. It has a fairly stiff ride because of this and it also doesn’t have much body roll in corners. It’s tuned for driving enjoyment more so than isolation from road imperfections.
I own a RX350 and MME. what ^^^ guy said is spot on. Ride will never be as smooth as the Lexus. It’s not unbearable or rough but I’ve heard others describe it as bouncy. I have the GT suspension which is even harder but we do long drives all the time. Do highway test drive.

Space Ghost GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GLE 450, space white GT received 11/04/22
Occupation
Nerd
Country flag
try using 'cruise control' rather than manual accellerator control over one of your problematic sections of road... I think you may be surprised how much of the 'rockin' is from YOUR foot.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This right here is more than likely 90% of peoples “suspension” problems. I can’t ride in that car with my brother or father in law, as the steering is jerked all over the place and then the accelerator and brake pedal soup. Boy ohh boy the accelerator, you don’t always have to always push it down there’s a thing called coasting. Accelerating and braking at (near) the same time constantly will make anyone vomit 🤮 even in back seat even a crown Vic. Also if you drive with both feet and are not in formula 1, please take some driving lessons and or do HPDE event. Just like Taylor Swift, you might be part of the problem.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would love to know more. The metal plate in my neck (cervical surgery) is coming loose when driving on secondary roads. Primary highway are fine.

I have been holding off on the Coilovers. My wife also hates the ride , especially in the back seat. My 9 year old grandson said he loves it, it’s like a roller coaster.
DM me if you don’t mind when you have some more info. Also curious at what settings you used. If I knew I could change the settings remotely, I might have made the switch already.

good luck

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'd bet that *most* drivers have a more jittery foot on the accelerator than they realize, which would give a sickening ride in a high power EV, especially with 1-p unbridled mode accel/regen. I seriously doubt many drivers can tell the difference in suspension. Tire pressure makes more difference to most.

Concrete expansion joints are a pain in any car, and you HEAR them in an EV, which makes it seem worse.

If you find the Mach-e too stiff.... you can always add a pillow, or at least memory foam pad, under your butt.
You might be right but it’s not a matter of stiffness. Bouncing is the problem. I probably should have looked at the GTPE but, oh well.

Coilovers may be in my future.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you put 4000 lbs on the bottom of any car it will see the same bounce problem. That’s a given. And if you are used to a Crown Victoria ride, of course you will see a difference riding in a sports car. Most complaints come from people who aren’t used to the sporty ride that hugs the road with positive steering.

I Am older so I do miss the comfort of my Audi. But I knew what I was getting in to. The seats in my GTPE are very supportive. But not as soft as the Premium. No surprise.
I know a stiff ride, I drive a 911s. I had mentioned to my wife that I can’t take the 911 to see our son if we take the secondary road since it’s horrible. The MME isn’t any better.
it’s not just stiffness. As people have said it’s the damping.

I also drove a Macan S for 7 years, a very firm ride but way better than the MME, yes I know it’s more money.

I wish Ford gave the option for the adjustable suspension in the premium class, not sure I would have ordered it as I didn’t realize the extent of bounciness in my test drives, my fault, but it would have helped others who read this Forum.

Last edited:

Joetz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach e and Tesla model Y
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I like everything about the MachE except the ride. Honestly, it sucks. It is truly terrible for a modern car. The engineers took the wrong path trying to make it sporty or they just can’t fix it.
What makes me crazy is they can do it if they put in the effort. I have a Boss 302 mustang with shocks that a 5-postion adjustable from the factory. I have them on the #2 setting and it's infinitely smoother and better controlled than the MME. I believe the supplier is Tokico with custom valves specified by Ford. It's absolutely amazing and this is a car with a solid axle. If I didn't know better I'd think the MME had the solid axle and the Boss 302 had a rear independent setup. That's how terrible the MME is.
Sponsored