Will Ford Respond to revised 315mi range for Model Y?

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
The california route 1 edition comes with 18" aero wheels.
This is true. I had not noticed this. I wonder if 18” wheels will be options for us who wish to have premium AWD but with the aero/range benefits of the 18” Aeros.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
This is true. I had not noticed this. I wonder if 18” wheels will be options for us who wish to have premium AWD but with the aero/range benefits of the 18” Aeros.
You would have a better clue about that than the rest of us. I would think not, though - it appears each trim level has its own unique characteristic wheel styling.

ElectricRS

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FocusRS, Fusion Hybrid
Occupation
Tech Geek
Country flag
Tesla recently announced revised range for Model Y of 315 miles.
This move by Tesla is clearly aimed at increasing competition. Will Ford respond?
Tesla is 10 years ahead in battery chemistry and electronics and has had multiple generations of each with many more to come. Tesla's culture is based on continuous improvement for the sake of providing the very best product first and where what little competition barely exists at all is a very far off 2nd concern (Porsche's so-called "Tesla killer' Taycan is an embarrassing bust in range, showing their utter lack of battery development - every time the industry labels something as a "Tesla killer" it shows how far behind their own engineering is and how large their ego is).

Ford can't "respond" to the Tesla Model Y 315 mile range because the Mach-E design is locked into production for 2 years... it won't be fully rolled out for 2 years from the time the basic design was locked and the rollout is staged. And by that time Tesla will be nearing 400 miles. Ford has a very difficult task ahead of themselves and besides designing and putting electric vehicles into production (and building the entire infrastructure for it as well as the skill sets to do it) they have to advance their research considerably into entirely brand new areas, while continuing to improve sales of existing ICE vehicles to keep the company afloat. And tryig to keep up with whatever emissions and fuel economy standards our country and California will have in the next several years, which keeps on changing with politics, and which is loosing what commonality it might have had with other countries (which saves considerable development and certification costs). Our country started the electric car business, and with all the politics and lack of Government support (Federal and some states) that could help keep us on the top, we are instead in real danger of loosing our lead and momentum. The hostility to Tesla in particular is so defeating.

I think that this over-emphasis by competitors and the press (and dealer associations such as those in Michigan and Texas) on hurting Tesla is naive - and dangerous. Any company that approaches competition with the objective of putting down innovation obviously can't stand on it's own. And thinking that there is only very limited room in the total marketplace for a couple of products, so that Tesla and any other pretenders should be ridiculed, is missing the point.

That Ford engineer also had a dash of this problem... if his thinking was a bit more strategic he would be thanking Tesla for breaking thru so many issues and opening up the path for other manufacturers. Instead he made some incredibly naive statements. He should never have been allowed to speak - if he even was int he first place.
And whether the Mach-E is in competition with the Model Y is debatable. I think they speak to somewhat different demographics without a lot of overlap.

Ford has to demonstrate that they have evolved into a continuous improvement culture, which it has never been able to do. Countless products have come out only to languish and die because the improvements are so late or not at all (Focus and Fusion are perfect examples). 1st-gen products too often have issues... look at the bungled launch of the Explorer and Aviator. Their are some inside groups that have their acts slightly more together, maybe Team Mustang has finally learned a few lessons. Perhaps with common electric platforms (and there are already at least 4 different platforms that we know about... all unrelated) this could improve... but. Same for OTA updates, where Ford's software has always been so poor... try updating your SYNC from v2 to v3 or above... the process is laughable (I'm a tech type, so I know what is not going on here). Same for the dealers... I recently needed a software update in a component in my Fusion... they tried for months to fix an issue. My own research uncovered the problem in a very obscure module that had an update in production but didn't have a TSB. It's easy to claim that >2 dozen separate modules will all be monitored and updated OTA, but extremely difficult to implement and should never have been designed like that in the 1st place. That's why the mentality of the engineering group has to change, lean and agile, yet also bringing to the table an understanding of the ramifications that immature engineering can result in.
I don't think Ford has it. And I'm speaking as a very long time Ford customer, in a family that goes back to opening one of the very first dealers in our state almost ~110 years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: UW2

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Tesla is 10 years ahead in battery chemistry and electronics--there is no documented evidence of this other than your opinion. Ford can't "respond" to the Tesla Model Y 315 mile range because the Mach-E design is locked into production for 2 year---- another opinion stated. LG continues to up their battery chemistry and density capabilities. The CEO of Tesla is well known for making statements that are more for stock market price than reality. Tesla will be nearing 400 miles Rivian is already touting a 400 mile range vehicle. besides designing and putting electric vehicles into production (and building the entire infrastructure for it as well as the skill sets to do it) they have to advance their research considerably into entirely brand new areas----ever hear of Team Edison? Go read up and it is not Team Mustang. Tesla koolaid drinker?

ElectricRS

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FocusRS, Fusion Hybrid
Occupation
Tech Geek
Country flag
I know all about Team Edison - I'm a registered member of Ford Press. And I have met many people form Ford and at Ford. I stand on what I said. The only final answer is to see how the product coming at the end of the year stands up over a year and more.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla is 10 years ahead in battery chemistry and electronics
That may be true on a pure calendar basis, but I think the actual gap is a lot smaller (albeit not insignificant) because they each started at different points. Ford (LG Chem, actually) started at a point that's probably 50%-75% of the way into Tesla's development curve. They've already learned a lot from Tesla (and others). At this point, I'd say they're probably more like 2-3 years behind Tesla in actual product evolution. (But that's just purely my speculation.)

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That is quite a list for someone that doesn't (?) own a Tesla. I have read of some of these issues from the Tesla motor club forum but never kept a tally.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, you certainly have a history. Going to trade this in on a Mach E?