DocOfClocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Mach-E Premium AWD, CR-V Hybrid
Country flag
I have kept careful track of my actual mi/kWh over a year and a half, and I find that I lose about 0.3 mi/kWh for every 10 degree drop in temperature. 30-35% less in winter is not out of line for where I live in northern Ohio.
Sponsored

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
Real data -

EV range.jpg
Not super-related, but looking at the Tesla EPA data reminded me of a conversation I overheard last week.
Friend asks "How much range do you get on a full charge?"
Tesla driver: "470km".
Pause...
"well, it's not actually 470, more like 370...".
Friend A says "Oh, because of the cold weather?"
Tesla driver: "No, in the Summer...I pretty much lost 100km right away..."

Spectre

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-e Premium AWD
Country flag
This looks accurate to me and what I’m experiencing now. Got my MME towards end of October and I’m getting about 190-200 miles of range now that it’s getting colder in NorCal. About 30-40 degrees in the morning here.

I didn’t start a new thread about it since everyone that does gets told to “go search the forums!” Lol

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
any statistics using the GOM range projected are inherently flawed...

I can share that MY average consumption shown over a week's worth of averaging in Trip 2, shows that for temps over 40F, my average is 3.0-3.2 miles/kWhr

the week or so the high temps have been right around 30F with lows in the teens. I garage at about 50-60F, so that doesn't change. I have noticed however that my TripAverage for the week has dropped to 2.2 miles.kWhr

so.... I'd totally support seeing a 'real' range reduction of 25% for ambient temps <30F

but that really doesn't affect me much since my average daily use is <40 miles. and I can charge at home 99% of the time. It would matter if I had a long commute, or planning a road trip though.

b1ptsv24

First Name
Shirl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e
Country flag
2021 Premium AWD ER and I can confirm the 30% for me here in Ontario Canada.
Temps around -10c these days. I precondition. Went from about 450 kms at 100% in the summer (around 25c on average) to ~300kms now. I expected this which is why I bought the ER.

First Name
Liz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none yet!
Country flag
the "verified" data means that is what people said their GOM was.... this is not as rigorous as they portray.
Heya! I helped work on this chart and want to point out that the "verified" data is actually from on-board diagnostic devices, not the GOM! More details on methodology and caveats are on our site, but the important part is:

"Verified winter range figures include all real-world variables, such as uneven terrain, variable driving speeds and uses, and calendar aging in vehicle batteries. They show the average expectation for winter driving conditions in a range of real use cases."

Also, one of the two publications caught an older version of the chart with an error on it. The corrected one is live on our site.

Last edited:

DK922

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD
Country flag
Ford not adding a heat pump to the Mach-E was a bad idea..

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Tomorrow I intend to drive from Louisville KY to central Vermont. Temperatures are cold now and getting colder this week. I guess my AWD ER will be the test rat he hee...

MWMME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Here’s some real data from a 100km trip I took today: parked outdoors with 120v mobile charger plugged continuously overnight, departed with 90% battery and estimated 210km range. Driving at 110km/h speed limit, as I was arriving at my destination remaining range was ~65km and 34% battery. Then the car dropped into turtle mode (dangerously slow) while I was still on the highway. Fortunately I was speed limited for no more than 500 meters on the highway then took an exit onto a street. Temperature was -26 Celsius and I was driving into a headwind.

I’m selling this car. This experience combined with poor charging infrastructure (Canada) makes the car not only impractical but dangerous in our winter weather. Was quite happy with it in the summer.

Real data -

EV range.jpg

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
I was arriving at my destination remaining range was ~65km and 34% battery. Then the car dropped into turtle mode (dangerously slow) while I was still on the highway. Fortunately I was speed limited for no more than 500 meters on the highway then took an exit onto a street. Temperature was -26 Celsius and I was driving into a headwind.
Something is wrong with this. You had >30% charge and got a turtle mode? Were you able to charge and what happened to the car after it was charged?

MWMME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Something is wrong with this. You had >30% charge and got a turtle mode? Were you able to charge and what happened to the car after it was charged?
The turtle went away after I slowed down and drove around town at 50km/h little. The onboard manual says the turtle can indicate a battery that is too hot or too cold. It could be that minus 26 Celsius plus a headwind resulted in the battery being too cold. I doubt the battery was too hot because we kept the interior temp at 16 Celsius (60.8 F) the entire time.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Here’s some real data from a 100km trip I took today: parked outdoors with 120v mobile charger plugged continuously overnight, departed with 90% battery and estimated 210km range. Driving at 110km/h speed limit, as I was arriving at my destination remaining range was ~65km and 34% battery. Then the car dropped into turtle mode (dangerously slow) while I was still on the highway. Fortunately I was speed limited for no more than 500 meters on the highway then took an exit onto a street. Temperature was -26 Celsius and I was driving into a headwind.

I’m selling this car. This experience combined with poor charging infrastructure (Canada) makes the car not only impractical but dangerous in our winter weather. Was quite happy with it in the summer.
Yikes, that pack had to be really cold to drop down to turtle mode like that. In those temps preconditioning off a Level 2 charger would be virtually required about every 8 hours.

I understand if you want to sell it or park it and drive an ICE for the winter, but if you want to make it work I think you might want to get an OBD scan tool so you can keep a closer eye on the battery temp.

MWMME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yikes, that pack had to be really cold to drop down to turtle mode like that. In those temps preconditioning off a Level 2 charger would be virtually required about every 8 hours.

I understand if you want to sell it or park it and drive an ICE for the winter, but if you want to make it work I think you might want to get an OBD scan tool so you can keep a closer eye on the battery temp.
yep I wish i could make it work but the 240v infrastructure is just so poor here, plus asking my family to hang in there for yet another charge session just to get going is too much.

MWMME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

one question: how much time do you need on the 240v+ charging to warm the battery? Curious because I have to make a return trip in the cold too…
Sponsored