Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
I’m in MA and I’ve been thinking about this very issue, so it’s been good to read some of the suggestions. Over the summer I had been doing a quick hand wash to get off some of the caked on dirt and then a trip to a touch less wash to finish it off. There are side blasters at the one I go to, but I try to drive past them quickly to avoid any issue with the emblems. I get that that might not work for you though.
Sponsored

NewGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ready to order
Country flag
Anyone living in a state with snow and road salt can't begin to consider the Garry Dean method.
This is just not true. There are plenty of discussions and demonstrations out there from professional and enthusiast detailers who use this method straight through the winter on salt-covered cars. A Google search brings up tons of discussions on AutoGeek and Autopia with lots of photo and video proof. Many of those discussions start out with folks who are skeptical who are then converted after doing the research and trying it themselves.

0t60-3.5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT PE, + ME Select AWD, '21 Explorer ST
Occupation
Tech Company Owner / CEO
Country flag
I’ve got a battery powered leaf blower that I would take if I could find a place with a heated bay.
Oh boy... trust me, I've learned by experience, be very careful with a powered leaf blower to help dry the exterior. Even the slightest tap with the metal tip of the nozzle can cause a scratch.

Check the tip of the leaf blower nozzle - if it's metal than be extremely careful it doesn't touch the painted surface. I've considered searching for a rubber O-ring, of sorts, to fit onto the metal end tip.

I like the idea of using a leaf blower when I hand wash the cars. Or sometimes I just drive the cars fast for a block or two also helps to get most of the water off before finishing off drying with a hand towel.

Last edited:

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
One method is to fill your two bucket wash with hot/warm wash/rinse, put a lid on them and load them in the back of the vehicle. Then head for the nearest do it yourself wash that has heated pressure washers water. Do not use their soap but with their sprayer and your two buckets you should be good.

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
After an unexpected change in work sir yesterday, I had to drive 450 miles of Salted Highway without a chance to get a rental car. So today I Fired up the kerosene heater in the garage and hauled out 4 buckets of warm water from the tub. Pre-rinsed with one bucket and a new microfiber cloth for each body panel. Buckets 2 & 3 were used to Wash with the normal 2 bucket method. Bucket 4 was used with new microfibers to rinse the soap back off. Then blow dried and towel dried. It was a bit of effort but it got the job done.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Winter Washing Ideas? 5020BE7D-9212-4DBC-A698-440DA1B2F3FB

Ford Mustang Mach-E Winter Washing Ideas? 3B57B5F2-2A6F-4304-8B85-B8C449ACB84D

Then I had to squeegy the floor and let the heater to dry up some of the water. Otherwise my garage would be an ice rink for the next 4 months.

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Tesla Model 3 Perf, '22 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
Here is a really helpful and informative video about winter car washing from Larry with Ammo NYC. Larry is a very well respected expert in the car detailing world. Even though he is in part trying to sell his products, he still gives a ton of very helpful information.

In this video, Larry discusses what to do if you need to wash your car in winter and you do not have access to a hose or garage:

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
After an unexpected change in work sir yesterday, I had to drive 450 miles of Salted Highway without a chance to get a rental car. So today I Fired up the kerosene heater in the garage and hauled out 4 buckets of warm water from the tub. Pre-rinsed with one bucket and a new microfiber cloth for each body panel. Buckets 2 & 3 were used to Wash with the normal 2 bucket method. Bucket 4 was used with new microfibers to rinse the soap back off. Then blow dried and towel dried. It was a bit of effort but it got the job done.

Then I had to squeegy the floor and let the heater to dry up some of the water. Otherwise my garage would be an ice rink for the next 4 months.
Then I drove to the grocery store and my car looks just like it did before I washed it.

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Then I drove to the grocery store and my car looks just like it did before I washed it.
But it WAS clean for a whole 12 hours and I got the spoiler on, so it’s OK.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
It's gonna somehow hit 60ºF here today after being 26ºF last night so I am washing the car today the old fashioned way :p. Gotta love STL weather.
Sponsored